AM Vanquish VS. 550/575 | FerrariChat

AM Vanquish VS. 550/575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Juice It, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How does the Vanquish compare with the 550/575 performance wise? Anyone driven both?

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Yes, I drove all three, but not back to back, so it's difficult to compare.
    The Vanquish is a beautiful car, although I don't like the rear design (I find the DB9 is sleeker) and the interior is a mix of plush atmosphere and surprising blunders in the design of some dashboard parts.
    The car is refined, makes a haunting, stunning noise, a pure marvel. Performance however is not as impressive as a 550 or 575, more refined, polished. I would miss the low end grunt of the Ferrari V12. The Vanquish I drove never felt like a rear drive supercar. Feels almost like the torque curve is toned down on the first gears to avoid a 'shocking' tendancy to upset the rear end. Had no opportunity to push the chassis to limits.
    A final detail: front visibility really sucks, thanks to a rather thick A-pilar and the internal mirror.

My ideal car would be a 575 manual with the front spoiler & headlights of a 550, but I had to settle for a stock 550 ... . I prefer the Maranello for its looks and the fact that it really feels like a supercar, something mighty powerful, deserving respect.
    When you look at the price difference (a Vanquish easily fetches 30% more than a 575), it's hard to justify, unless money is of no relevance for you.

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Absolutely agree!!

I also would choose the 575 over the Aston. The 575 just feels more "special" and raw to me. I love the Vanquish but they are two totally different animals. IMO the Vanquish is more a competitor to the V12 Benz coupes.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What about numbers and handling, how do they compare?

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Love the Vanquish, but want 6sp. 550 is the way to go there. Neighbor has one but I haven't driven it.

That thing makes a GLORIOUS noise...I wonder about the tranny reliability. Had heard that there were issues in the past, but my neighbor seems to be doing fine and I haven't seen anything conclusive.

BTW, find one in the slate-blue. THat grey they have is wicked, and black is sexy, but that slate blue is just AWESOME.

--Dan

6. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    I would take the 575 because I love the way it looks.

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Not sure if this review will really help you but check out the review section on www.racingflix.com . The Top Gear comparison does a great job comparing and contrasting the two wonderful cars. They like the 575 more in the end for its value and its all around driving experience. I personally feel you cannot go wrogn with either car. Good luck.

8. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I don't know how Aston fares in terms of reliability. The test driver I met told me with pride that he 'even' knew of a car in belgium which had 50'000 miles ...
    Ain't much as a reference for a factory test driver.

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I drove the 550 and the Vanquish...but I bought an SL55....way more car for the money that either the AM or the 550.

Worked out great and my Italians are accepting my German quite nicely!

Dino

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Never drove an SL55, but at these prices, it might be a sound choice if you plan on piling up miles. The car has a lot of presence and the folding roof is a clear plus.
    However Merc' reliability has earned a bad reputation these last years, and the press keeps saying that the car is competent but boring, so if we're talking about a 2nd or 3rd car, I think i'd still choose a mint 2nd hand 550/575 over a SL55.

11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've had the SL55 for 9 months and it has been flawless....and brilliant! I have tracked it several times and it has humiliated some pretty heavy metal.

I have had it on some long trips and it has been great. As far as reliability goes....perfect! And the merc dealer treats me like gold....no Fcar dealer attitude (we have a nasty dealer in AZ).

I will have to admit as brilliant, fast, great handling, etc.....it isn't as special feeling as my Fcars.....but the 550 has never appealed to me...just not exotic looking enough for me (different strokes I guess). Not a put down....I just like the mid engined look on Fcars better.

The SL was less than 1/2 the price of the other 2 and I felt (after driving them all back to back), from a performance standpoint that the SL was the winner.

Dino

12. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I like the SL55 as well but the problem I have with it is that due to the number of new SL's sold and around here, its not that special of a car. I know most aren't 55's but unless you know the difference, looks wise they are basically the same. Performance wise its awesome but if it were all about performance I would buy a new vette.Like you said, you are missing that feeling you get while driving an F car. Truthfully, I don't think I would buy the AM until it comes down a bit like the 550's already have.I just think that I am realizing that I would get way more use out of a car that I could drive anytime as opposed to a flat out"nice day" car like my 355 spider.