308 tie rods and shocks | FerrariChat

308 tie rods and shocks

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by djgecko, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    I have an 83 308 QV and it is in need of some rear shocks and new tie rods in the front. The car has 13,000 miles on it now and everything is original. I'm in need of info for the cost to repair these and where I might be able to get parts at a reasonable price. Also, I was told that I could not replace the tie rods without replacing the whole rack? Is this correct? Thanks for your help! :)

DJ

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    If everything is original, I would be guessing you will be needing more than just rear shocks and tie rod ends... Like cam belts.
    Shocks are available at tirerack.com
    I got my rod ends from superformance UK

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    DJ,
    The tie rod ends should be available seperately from the steering rack. There are any number of sources both locally and abroad. Ferrari UK sells factory original parts online through the Ferrari owners site.

Rear shocks are $142 each from Tire Rack (same oem Konis), but you will need to order new shock bushings from Ferrari UK as well. As the shocks don't come with them, and it wouldn't be advisable to reuse the old ones.

I just checked and the tie rods are $28 each from Ferrari UK. The shock bushings are $16.11 each (need four total) and they want $247 for the shocks (ouch!)

4. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Dave, right before I purchased the car it had major servicing done with the cam belts, timing, valves adjusted, hoses, etc, at Shelton Ferrari, so.......the engine is fine. It was a garaged for quite some time before that and from the service records, none of the suspension was replaced or repaired at all. Thanks for the pic too......my mechanic thought that I would have to replace the entire assembly.

Thanks again!

DJ

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    No problem...

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have my rack out at the moment...

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I am rebuilding it with a quick steer unit...

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    But havn't had time to work on it this week...

9. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Dave, is the removal of the steering rack fairly easy? Any tricks/suggestions?
    How much, if you do not mind telling, for the boots?

Thanks,

Gianluca

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    DJ,
    The photo is of tie rod ENDS which is usually what goes, but 13K miles sounds awfully low. Mine went at about 25K miles.

Double check with your mechanic tho, the actual tie rods pivot where they attach to the steering rack. They're the long slim rods at each end of the rack in the photo.

The rack end can fail & require replacement altho I've only encountered bad ones with cars (Rx7s) that had well over 100,000 miles. Then again, the tie rod ends went about that mileage also...

BTW, there's a company that rebuilds the KONIs to original spec for about $100 each + shipping. Search the archives for 'KONI' and 'rebuild'.

KONIs were designed to be rebuildable, so it's a reasonable option.

(OFF-TOPIC)
    BTW, snow storm derailed my mfg startup plans again this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to make your knobs yet.

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I agree Verell, 13k sounds low for these to go bad, but who knows.

Here are a few shots...

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
  13. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones

bolt holes

14. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
  15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dave,
    Great pictures! Kinda hijacking this thread, but can you show some more pics of the internals of the rack? I am curious to see the internal bushings that apparently fail....I replaced the rack on my 328 last summer and it started to have play in it at 29K miles...it was traced to the internal bushings of the rack...rather than bother with a rebuild, I opted to replace it ($800 from Ferrari UK).

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    You will need to pull it out from the wheel well

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    For the minimal additional funds, I prefer new shocks, but Verell has a point too...The advantage of new, is you have less "down time" waiting to get them back, if that matters to you...does to me, interfers with driving time! :)

Here is where you can get them rebuilt:
    KONI North America
    1961 International Way • Hebron • KY • 41048
    Telephone- (859) 586-4100 • Fax-(859) 334-3340

18. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Dave, I will try and post pics of the internals this weekend...
    The weather has been ****ty here the last couple of days and I haven't had much time to work on it.

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
  20. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Dave and Verell,

Thanks for the info. My mechanic is, of course, going to charge me an outrageous amount for the parts as well as the labor. I'll be going to pick up my car here in the next couple of days and order the parts and do a bit more research on this tie rod issue. From the looks of the pics, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult of a job to do with a little help? Just curious. I know it's different from an old american muscle car, but I'm up to the challenge.

Thanks,

DJ

21. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Just be aware that the pics I posted show the spare tub removed,
    most cars will have the tub still in, so you will have to get to the bolts from under and the sides.
    Once replaced just get an alignment and you should be good to go.

22. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Side access...

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Another place that rebuilds Koni's is Truechoice.
    Contact Jason Kloster ([email protected])
    They quoted me $95 plus parts to rebuild. On the one hand, you can get new ones for about $150, but then you have to have the tools to get the springs off, etc. By having them rebuilt, you can just send them off and when they come back, they are all done, put back together, etc. and you don't have to diddle with trying to compress the springs without killing yourself! Also, you don't have a used set of shocks to try to decide what to do with.

24. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Those tie rods look exactly like the ones used on the 911s and the 914s. I wonder if the thread pitches are the same...

-Wayne

25. djgecko

djgecko Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Navarre, FL
    Full Name:
    DJ Geck
    Just went and got my car out of the shop and brought it home. The mechanic was quoted a price of $1900 for the new rack assembly! GEEZ! (no labor on that)

? I'm assuming that the steering assembly will fit my 83? for $350 I find it very reasonable. Would you just replace the front tie rods or the whole assembly for that price? I'm pretty sure I could do it myself with a little help. The pics make it look like a fairly simple process.

Thanks again!

DJ