Ferrari and the influence on your life. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari and the influence on your life.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by thadbrown, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I am Italian, Ferrari is something that captures you if you only have the slightest interest in motors. After long time dreaming I have just bought my first Ferrari, 328 GTS. In this very moment is being restored to full functionality (it has not been properly run for almost 6 years) and I cannot wait for the moment when I will be able to drive it.
    I have two kids: waiting for the moment when I will at last be able to fulfill my dream of OWNING and driving my own Ferrari reminds the moment my sons were born.
    I think I can say nothing more

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Extremely well put.

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    HOnestly, i have never been a real ferrari fan until i purchased my 308 in 1999. Before then, i have always owned sports cars, bought and sold many many sports cars, restored them and cared for them. In 1999, a friend of mine said i could most likely sell my 1967 vette and pretty much buy a ferrari 308 for the same ammount. He was right, i spent some time looking, saw one on ebay, flew from colorado to LA to look at a bunch of 308s and bought the one on ebay. ever since then, i have been impressed with the way the ol carb car runs, sounds and smells and must admit no other vehicle has stimulated my senses like the 308. I must say that the 308 i own has been THE most reliable car i have ever owned, and i have owned hundreds of vehicles from sports cars to trucks to SUVs. I enjoy turning folks on to the marque, showing them my car. what i like most about the car is its uniqueness - as i am a unique individual - oh yeah. i hope to keep my lil ol black euro 308 forever, there is just something about it, the retro interior, sleek exterior, the way it screams around the mountain roads in colorado, and the sounds comming from the engine compartment. i can go on and on, but..............john asselta ...43 years young.

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I never realized how profound an impact Ferrari ownership would have on my life until I actually became an owner. I have a picture of myself as a teenager standing next to the first ferrari I had ever seen up close, a 328 GTS. Those of you that have been to my house have seen this picture blown up and framed with my models... Little did I know then and even a little over a year ago that I would have a beautiful car like the ferrari in my garage.

Ahh... it seems like just yesterday that the car arrived! December 7, 2002 to be exact!!

It's funny that such a car... a car, mind you, can bring together people from all over the world, from all walks of life, and build a sense of comraderie that it has for me. I have found that some of the people I have met and the relationships I have built since owning this car are both amazing and priceless to me.

One of the greatest pleasures (other than the sheer joy of driving my car) is knowing that Ferrari Driving Club was started to celebrate the sheer enjoyment of driving. What started as a few guys wanting to get together for sunday drives has now evolved into a large group of owners and enthusiasts, enjoying the company of each other and our cars. Lasting friendships, memorable events, and a great support network - what more can one ask for?

How has Ferrari influenced my life? Tremendously. It has changed my life forever. It's in my blood now and there it will remain.

Byron

Also... we had the pleasure of hosting DES's visit here in LA, back in July 2002. Attached is the story that he wrote, capturing his experiences. It's entitled "The Time of my Life, by DES"

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I have always had an affinity for Ferrari. Ever since I could walk I've wanted one, but one event really sealed the deal for me.

I can't remenber where my keys are right now, and my wallet could be anywhere, but the first time I heard an F355 up close is firmly etched into my memory.

I was in High School, visiting Ferrari of San Francisco as I regularily did (do!) the air was crisp, and the fall leaves were just starting to quilt the roadway when a Grigio Titanio ('silver' on any other car) F355 Spider pulls out of the driveway, pauses to see traffic, and just SCREAMS away at full song up to redline in first, and then second gear. To this day, that sound rings in my ears like the finest trupmets, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it.

Right there, when that engine hit 4,000rpm and the exhaust bypass opened up, I knew I was HOOKED for life, and that no other make of car would ever 'matter' as much, or quite like, Ferrari did.

Ferrari means a zest for life and those you share it with. It embodies the realization that every day is truely a gift, and that while we are here in this time, what else can we do but share the wonders and breadth of human expierence with those we love?

Best!

Ben Cannon

6. mikeman

mikeman Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    I had my 206GT dino (SN 00160) in for a transmission overhaul. My then wife was unhappy with anticipated costs. Various other things were going on also but.... . Anyway the mechanic called to tell me that some special bearings were required and that after many calls to Marnello in England, Italy, etc., they weren't having any luck. I took a 'friend' with me to check the bearings out. They were laid out neatly on the mechanics table. We looked at them and left. My friend asked to go back and check and record the numbers. The next day my friend returned with the new bearings. My friend noted that they were Timken bearings, took down the numbers, went to Napa and got the bearings! Bet you didn't think Napa was a Ferrari parts dealer. The bearings were taken to the unbelieving mechanic and found to be the right ones. A few days later the mechanic called stating that a new shaft from a 246 was a bit too long for the 206 and needed to be shortened. The problem was that the 'only' person who could do right was out of town for and extended time. My friend again went to the dealer picked up the shaft, took it to a machinist friend and had it shortened. Took it back to the astounded mechanic and again all was well. Dino was repaired, transmission works great, my friend walks on water at the dealers, I married her two years later. I guess you could say that Ferrari changed my life, also don't think I can ever sell that car.
    Mike

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Lee- I think I may have a theroey here. If Enzo was anything like me (and who am I kidding, I'd like to pretend that's so!) then I would venture he did something much like I am in the process of doing.

I am very close to the realizing of another childhood dream, producing my own high-end loudspeakers of my own design. There is a serial number 001, though it will not be sold. *I* will be keeping it! ;)

Best!
    Ben.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Byron... The pleasure was, of course, all mine; i look forward to getting out there again and hanging out with all you folks some more...

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    This is the most incredible story! Mike, may you be with the car, and your friend, for the rest of your days.

Best!
    Ben.

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I was born the same day Dino Ferrari died in Italy. When I was about 11 I saw my first Ferrari. I wrote Enzo Ferrari and he wrote back and sent a photo. I got three more notes from him over the years before he died. My wife thinks I am his beloved son Dino's reincarnation but when I met Piero he acted like he did not recognize me! Oh well! In Italy it is called the Red Religion and I am the bishop here in Ventura

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Great story, I'm looking for a friend like that :)

I remember once when I was an undergrad in Boston I was near Hahvahd, that Harvard to any1 who has never been to Boston :) , I was standing on a corner waiting to cross when I hear this awesome sound, I was 20 or so, I knew it just had to be something Italian with maybe 12 cylinders and a hot cam. It got louder & louder, very little muffling. Finally I see it, One of those life shifting events. It was a vintage Ferrari spyder race car on the street, :) The driver was wearing a leather bombers jacket & had a white wilk scarf, I was Totally entranced, I knew that that was going to be me some day :)

5 years ago I met the driver, Markowski or something like that, he owns a Ferrari & vintage restoration shop up in NH I believe.

Think I'll take the 512TR up to Hahvahd this summer & see if I can re-enact that scene for some other impressionable youth this summer :)