Ferrari register supplement 1 | FerrariChat

Ferrari register supplement 1

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    This is the title of a book. I saw it yesterday, but couldn't look into it. Can anybody what's exactly in it? S/n of built ferrari's? explanation about the cars they built? how many supplements are there? I was out of money to buy it, I bought a Rossa pressmap before it. Stupid me. The book was in his sealing, so I couldn't open it :'(

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Can you remember if it was written by Hilary A. Raab Jr.? Red paper-back cover?

If it was, it is a very good book to have. A very simple list containing S/N, model, name of first owner or dealership sold from, coachbuilder #, body #, engine # and a few other notes. From the very first car to #21399 - odd sequence (so just the road cars). Part II book was I think even sequence S/N listings.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    It was red, hard cover, with just the title, nothing else. Thanks for the info, should have bought that book instead of the presskit of the Rossa :|

4. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    Have both books from Hillary Raab Jr.
    Id. the first one is the green book (odd numbers) and the second one is red (even numbers (and pictures in this one!)
    But both have soft covers, no hardcover...

but they are very nice to have! (got them from mr. Raab jr. himself). Met him in the USA (when I was there on a vacation) in a microbrew. He was also on vacation...later he sent me the books and pictures of his Ferraris! He has quite a collection :)

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    For what it's worth: I got another registry. Red cover, binder style, different author. Covers them all to about the mid eighties, isn't complete though, but a good start.

6. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe

can you list the name of the book and the author? i would like to check that one out.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    "Ferrari Register" by Dr. Robert B. Marvin

I don't think you'll find it anywhere. I got it off ebay several years ago. It is pretty good and stops somewhere in the mid eighties.

8. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Use a bit of caution with the Marvin Ferrari Register.

He allowed owners to submit their own version of their car's history. Several submissions could qualify for creative writing awards.

Raab's and Nowak's books are both considered the standard.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that update. Any information about the books you quote? Are they available?

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    The Raab books are:

"Ferrari Serial Numbers Part I, Odd Numbered Sequence to 21399"
    (Red cover)
    "Ferrari Serial Numbers Part II, Even Numbered Sequence to Serial Number 1050" (Green cover)
    Hilary A. Raab, Jr., author

"Ferrari Forty Years on the Road", by Stanley Nowak

The Nowak book is out of print and as Stan died some years ago, is not likely to be reprinted. The Raab books were privately printed, and may still be available. I'd try the Ferrari Market Letter for all of them.

There are a couple of other similar books I'm not comfortable recommending.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    As far as I know, the Part I book by Raab is available through Veloce Press (that's where I got mine). I think someone mentioned (elsewhere in F'Chat) that Part II is also available from them.

Veloce Press

12. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    The Marvin book isn't THAT bad but don't take anything for granted.

The one you mention is a "supplement" to the original book.

The original books is mostly a print-out of a computer database and most entries are "validated" and extracted from ads in various printed media (it lists those when possible including which newspaper / magazine, phone numbers and asking price when available).

When no such data is available for a particular car, take it with pinch of salt, especially for the rare and very valuable cars.

We have one of the original books by Marvin available at the moment.

Best regards,
    Jack Habits
    www.************.com

13. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Do the Raab and Nowak books cover the 288 GTO or not?

Or asked differently, is there a registry/book that does cover this particular car?

15. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Well old guy,

what you say is true in the year 2003...

But don't forget that Marvin's effort was the first in this feild to speak of and was conceived in an era that there was no easy access to any source of information.

The sources that you mention (Ferrari factory records etc.) are most definitely NOT a realiable source either...

Just talk to guys like Gerald Roush and Marcel Massini and they can probably go on for hours about errors in the factory records.

So, sorry to say... any reference books that is based on those records also needs to be taken with a pinch of salt...

Jack

16. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Tifosi,

There's no 288 register available that I'm familiar with. The Lewendowski (spelling??) book has a list of chassis numbers, and as I recall, it's essentially complete. Marcel Massini has a very complete register and history on the 288, but it's not available at this time. I suspect he may be planning a book on the 288 at some point.

Jack,

I hadn't planned to start an argument, but I have to disagree with you. I was around and very heavily involved in Ferrari activities, including owning several old cars, when Dr. Marvin started his project. (My first Ferrari ride was in 1953 -- that's why I'm an old guy.) It was not taken seriously even then among the hard-core Ferrari enthusiasts, including those you name. (Let's face it: most Ferraris, particularly the older and more rare cars, were not being advertised in classified ads.) Hilary Raab had his Pininfarina material available before then, and if the Green Book (Volume I) wasn't done, it was close. Certainly the information was available to those interested, and portions were published in PRANCING HORSE and CAVALLINO.

I agree that the factory records have errors, and are incomplete in some areas -- for instance, I have copies of a few data sheets which the factory can no longer locate. There is still some missing information and a few mysteries, but with the Internet today quite a number of the serious Ferrari historians are in contact on a continuing basis, and there's pretty accurate information -- and agreement -- on almost all the old Ferraris. That information may never be published in any complete form, but at least it is available. Barchetta.cc has been a good resource, but just looking up some of my old cars there are (unavoidable) errors there as well.

I'll make a deal to resolve this: I'll trade you my Marvin material for your factory records...:)

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I'm Tifosi12 (Tifosi is another guy). Anyway, I have the Lewandowski book and I have talked to Marcel. True, he has a complete 288 registry, but doesn't give any of it out.

So I started my own registry. So far I got 25% of the cars. Not bad, but obviously not good enough either. So any 288 information is more than welcome.