Brunei Ferraris | FerrariChat

Brunei Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jmiles360, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    I love the site and have been on checking out this site for a while, but this is my first post.

I am fascinated by the Sultan of Brunei custom ferraris and have searched the internet for all the data I can find. I have seen various pictures of the FX and 456 Cabrio at the Marconi Museum, and have also seen the grainy photos supposively taken of the cars in the Sultan's garages, like the red FX, red 456 4-door coupe, and various Bentley and Aston Martin specials. I have searched through all the old posts on this website. I also have the Forza back issues with articles on both of the Marconi cars.

However, I am wondering if anyone can provide new information on the cars and any that are no longer in the possession of the sultan (like the 550 Spider seen in Monaco!?!) Whatever info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Bolicious

Bolicious Rookie

Dec 2, 2003
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Bo Kristensen
    Now that is a garage.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Is this a Ferrari? Looks more like a modified DB7

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And wow - look at this. Predating the Bentley Continental GT, but you can see exactly where Bentley gott the grill from. It's funny how much manufacturers toy with designs before they actually come out in production cars.

5. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Believe it or not, it IS a Ferrari.

Other than complete one-off's, I once saw pictures of a grey F40, right hand drive that belonged to the sultan. And so many more...

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Car and Driver had a picture of a white/red F-40 as well.

The Sultan also (at one time, no more) had two Cizeta V16Ts that were sent to Pininfarina, and the engines were pulled and 512TR running gear was put in. Why? No one knows....the Cizeta @ the Marconi museum is one of the Sultan's modified 512TR versions

7. 325Paul

325Paul Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Kent (Rochester) - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Thompson
    This is my first post here, no Ferrari yet but maybe one day soon, but anyway hello. Quite a few years ago (maybe 5 or so) my dad was speaking to me and just happened to mention that the owner of his company had brought a yellow F40 in right hand drive and the last keeper was the Sultan of Brunei. I don't know if he still has the car, i will ask my dad next time I see him. My dads boss is a real car nut and is a regular on the historic F1 circuit in the UK and has also had numerous Ferraris (no Ferrari F1 cars though) but he has a nice Williams TAG (ex Keke Rosberg). Anyway, back to the F40, I don't know if the car started life as yellow or was repainted at some stage.

8. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Do you have the pic of the white F40? I know I had one but I don't have it on my computer anymore.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    WTF is it called then? based on what? More pics???

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The only thing that would make me think it's a Ferrari is the pininfarina badge behind the rear wheel. Other than that, I've never seen this model before. I like it much more than his other custom ones.

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm pretty sure that is the Aston Martin AM4 by Pininfarina that is mentioned in the article.

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Yeah I might have gone too fast on that one... :( I wouldn't bet any money but sounds like it should be an Aston or similar, despite the PF badge.

I'll read and write more carefully next time :D

13. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    There are some other pics here: http://www.geocities.com/sul288us/index.html

I'll try to find the link to a story I read that had pictures of all sorts of one-offs, including a Bentley SUV.

It also had an anecdote about how when RR changed the wheels for some model year, the Sultan ordered the new design for all his countless RRs and had his henchman throw the "old" ones into the Sea of China!!!

http://autozine.kyul.net/article/brunei/sultan.htm - has picture of the Bentley SUV ("Dominator")

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The car posted by ZjPj is an Aston Martin for sure. Its not a AM3 , must be the AM4

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unfortunately I do not any longer.

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    white F40

17. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
  18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Umm, did anyone notice the TdF blue Mythos in the background with the TOP up???!!!

19. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Joe V ,
    Thanks!!!

20. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    OMG! I just realize ....

TDF blue Mythos = RARE.

21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    If someone has more pics of the white F40 or the blue Mythos , don't be shy to post it!

22. hk328

hk328 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    One of the 456 Station Wagons was for sale by a dealer in UK last year. I'll try and find out the details. Was advertised in "Classic & Sports Car"

23. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Do you know how many bianco F40 exists?

And this really belongs to the Sultan of Brunei?

24. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I already thought I missed something :)