What were original tires on 328? | FerrariChat

What were original tires on 328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vinny, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    What were original equipment tires on 328 line and roughly how many miles could you get from them?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Two tires were specificied in the owner's documents. Both were Goodyear products

One was the NCT with a treadwear rating of 140, the other was the Eagle with a treadwear rating of 220.

There are way too many variables in wear, to say how long they lasted. I would guess that most are replaced do to damage or age, rather than wear, since most folks put so few miles on their cars...

Why do you ask?

3. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Im in the market for a 328, just figured it was a good way to check if mileage coinsides with treadwear.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I would sure hope that the tires have been changed by now.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Vinny,
    The BEST way to document mileage is with a solid history of receipts from day one; for services, tires, replacement battery, etc. Trying to figure it out, based on tire replacement, pedal pad wear, entails way too many variables to be trusted with any reliability.

Without complete history, a solid amount of documents for the past 5-7 years would be good. Between that and a thorough PPI should tell you if the the car is sound, and the mileage fits the car.

No reciepts or documents? Walk...no run! :)

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Performance tires have a life span of a few years, max. Even if you don't run them, they will get harder with age, until they become fairly useless. In far less than the life of the newest 328, they become too cracked and brittle to use ... or even, likely, hold air.

7. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Thanks Guys, Great advice.

Vinny

8. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Vinny:
    I saw a low milage 308 with the original tires on.
    It was one of the Magnum PI cars with less then 20K on the odometer; the car was at the recent "Under 3 Liter" show at Woodley Park (Van Nuys) Ca.
    I have also seen low milage cars at Symbolic Motors with the original tires.
    Look at the car carefully, and be sure to do a Car Fax.

Mark

9. hk328

hk328 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Vinny

Note other comments, I know of 2 accidents, one in China, one in Hong Kong where cars have been written off, reportedly due to original low mileage tyre failure. Cars involved a Testarossa and a Diablo!

10. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The standard type of tire mounted was put on a decal and stuck under the locking glovebox door.