Opinions wanted: Best place to live in SoCal? | FerrariChat

Opinions wanted: Best place to live in SoCal?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ryalex, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My wife wants to spend a summer in CA during law school before we settle down somewhere to see if we can fit in there...

As a reference point, big firm law jobs there start at $125k right now, so that would likely be my starting point if I moved to SoCal, and my only provision is I have to live somewhere I can still afford payments on a 328 :)...

So what do YOU think is the best place to live?

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My wife and I have lived in Irvine for the last 3 years - We love it. :)

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I live in Newport Beach. No complaints!!!!

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    There are lots of places that are great to live in so cal...
    With $125k/yr, you definitely have some options, but there are also some that are out of the question...

I also live in Irvine... for about 20 years now. I have to say that I love the orange county area b/c of its close proximity to airports, beach, mtns... If I want to go to SD or LA, both are only 45min away. I would pick any town near the coast b/c there's nothing like the coastal breeze. :)

With that said, however, I think some great cities/areas to also live in are: West LA, San Diego - La Jolla/P.Beach area, South OC (Mission Viejo, Laguna, CDM), Huntington Beach, and inland areas as Anaheim Hills, Pasadena/La Canada areas...

5. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I have lived in Orange County since I was in high school. For only two years have I lived in a city while I was going to college. Live in Orange County but not a city.

Bonzi

6. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    #6 TURBOQV, Dec 9, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Corona del Mar is nice, but not on 125k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. wmnewland

wmnewland Karting

Aug 3, 2001
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    Newland, William
    Where you live in Southern California depends on where you work. I am a pilot that needs easy access to LAX so Manhattan Beach is the best for me but I could see living in Palos Verdes as well. Just depends on how old a crowd you want to hang with.

The Hollywood Hills are great if you are making the run to the Valley or Beverly Hills on a daily basis.

If you plan to have children and like real white bread communities try Irvine and the rest of Orange County...but I go nuts there looking for good ethic food and the place bores me like Switzerland. It's beautiful but much too controlled and planned for my personal taste.

If you can stand the commute Malibu is terrific, best place to drive your car too, but you have to have a PHD in Malibu real estate to safely buy something there.

The Valley can get you a much nicer house for the money but you will pay for it in time on the freeway. Plus the most of it is without redeiming social value.

I have several rentals in the area, (Manhattan Beach, El Segundo, PV & Downtown LA) contact me via e-mail if you want to have a more complete rundown.

I live part time in Manhattan Beach and part time in Manhattan, NYC. If you are not from those places the real estate prices are going to shock you something fierce. But if you buy right it can be the cheapest place to live as the house appreciation is amazing and you can live for free after a few years if you sell your home right.

Good luck

8. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    If you don't mind commuting, Claremont is the town to live in.

If you can't commute, Westwood is cool, Rancho Palos Verde is pretty damn nice, Silverlake, ahhh......a few other nice places.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You've got a thing for Manhattan, don't you :)

My son, also a pilot (UAL), and also living in Manhattan Beach, loves it there, since he rarely has to venture out from the immediate area, thereby avoiding the truly obnoxious LA traffic.

Gary

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Westlake is nice, so is Thousand Oaks. It really depends on were you are gonna be working and what your price range is. As for weather you can't beat Oxnard. It is the best kept little secret in SoCali.. It pretty much stays between 68 and 73 deg all year long. But it is an hour drive from L.A.

11. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Well, everyplace listed so far is awsome I would not argue with any of them! But the question you need to first ask your self is what you want? We can sit here and tell you how nice it is where we live. But we might not be telling you the cheapest house goes for 1.2 mill. What I'am trying to say is Almost ANYWHERE from OC to S.D on the coast and somewhat inland is amazing!
    But you need to ask yourself and your wife what you want? How old are you?
    Do you want to be live where its a younger crowd?
    Do you want to live in a Town like area? or more like city type area?
    To you wan to build or buy? How much do you want to spend?
    Where do you think the firm is, who might hire you?

12. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I grew up in San Diego,
    and most of the coast is great, But...
    No matter where you live, I would not want to be making payments on a car as old as a 328.
    Do yourself a favor, save for the Ferrari and pay cash.

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    But you need to ask yourself and your wife what you want? Don't know yet... in the case of SoCal we'd probably rent a condo for a year or two in the area until we found a house.

How old are you? Will be 26/24 when we'd be there in '06

Do you want to be live where its a younger crowd? Possibly, but I definitely enjoy benefits of older communities - quieter, safer, etc.

Do you want to live in a Town like area? or more like city type area? Moderate city is fine, but I don't like it too dense.

To you wan to build or buy? Buy. I'm not picky enough to build. Yet.

How much do you want to spend? I don't know - if a condo not more than $230k; I don't think I could afford a house there, reasonably soon. That's kind of the tradeoff with other places I'm looking at, like Louisiana and TX... even with a starting salary there we could get a fairly new 4bdrm right off the bat, along with a 328 and an Audi for the wife.

As for prices, the last three places I lived are urban Boston, Hawaii, and urban Seattle, so I think I'm fairly impervious to real estate sticker shock (also got into law school in Manhattan and was considering at that...) :).

Where do you think the firm is, who might hire you? I was going to look more into firms in OC, Newport, Irvine, etc. Branches of national and LA firms. Don't know yet, but there's jobs there.

Dave - well, I figure getting a mint 328 for around $45-50k is like money in the bank, as it won't really depreciate. Lost more driving my Subaru off the lot than I would in 5 years of a 328!

Thank you all for your recommendations! If you can think of anything else let me know. I think I might visit a friend in Newport in Jan after my exams and spend a few days driving around seeing if I like it.

14. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    If you're in Newport in Jan, be sure to look me up, along with a few of the other guys in the Irvine/Newport area. We can definitely show you around.

Byron

15. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Yeah, at 3AM;) - try more like 2 - 2 1/2 hours during normal commute times.

16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Will do! Thanks again.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm in Palos Verdes. But the best place ot live is the nicest place you can afford near where you work. Orange County has the best Ferrari dealers. The roads are better in OC. OC and LA traffic is a toss up. Get here at the right time in jan 04 and meet us for a day at the racetrack. I think it is 1/17/04. Every area has a nice city to live with riff-raff right next to it...that's so cal. Personally, I have met more people in Manhattan beach who think there sh*t don't stink. They think it is so hot to live in MB right next to the chevron refinery and neighboring smellsegundo and the airport I don't get the attraction. Land value there is highest per sq ft in the so bay...they can have it. Congestion and traffic. PV is quiet and full of old established people with few kids relatively speaking. It has the highest percentatge of "old money" in the so bay. If I was not in PV I would be in Newport beach, Old malibu, Lemon heights in Tustin.

18. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Best idea is to get out of the area a little bit, a nice home near Mr. Baldy, easy commute to LA for legal work.

19. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    i live in simi valley

there are lots of nice law firms in calabasas :)

i can hop on topanga canyon and be in ucla/santa monica/westwood area rather swiftly

:)

houses here are about 700+ for something decent :) :)

20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What's the scale on that map?

21. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    I'm not sure, but I put Mt. Baldy and downtown Los Angeles in Yahoo driving directions and came up with 55.8 miles and 1 hour 46 minutes - again, assuming no traffic or weather issues. I could see that averaging close to 2 1/2 to 3 hours each way.

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Uh, o.k. On the other hand, you probably DON'T find a lot of fatbillybob's in Manhattan Beach. Maybe they just don't know what to say...

Gary

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yikes. At that commute I would just pay the extra money for a place in the city.

24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The three biggest questions to living anywhere in So Cal are:

Where will you work
    How much are you willing to pay
    How long your willing to commute

Until you get out her permanently, there are so many nice areas, you almost never live and work in the same city or suburb.

Sunny

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL PSP. Yeah it does depend on what time you are on the road. I can get to Hollywood in about 50 to 55 minutes with the cruse control set at 65mph at 9:30 at night. But during the morning or evening rush it takes anywere from an hour and fifteen minutes, to and hour and a half to go the same distance. The worst is the holiday traffic. The day after Thanksgiving I got off the freeway all together and took the surface streets. Actually anywere in LA is bad depending on what time it is. At 2:00am I can get from Hollywood to Beverly Hills in about 10 minutes. But try that during lunch hour and you are looking at 30 minutes minimum to go the same distance.