Replica f50 | FerrariChat

Replica f50

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Daytonafan, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    What a joke.

3. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    What's trash to some is treasure to others. To each their own. It's not like he's advertising in the FML, right?

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Ever notice that these replicas are always parked out front of some run down trailer home...Hmmmmm...

-R

5. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    How could you drive that thing? I know there are some very capable kit cars out there but I would be so embarrassed driving something like that. Seriously I'd rather have a old ratted out junker. Even if somebody does fall for the F50 fakeout you still would have to admit..."Well it's just a kitcar". No thanks.

6. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Its not avery good one. The exterior is a lot better than the interior - which is awful. For $25k, you can get a lot of car nowadays - in the used market. I am curious as to who would buy this thing for that money.

7. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    But it has a "working glove box"...

8. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    This thing was on here a few weeks a ago. The pix still freak me out.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    He needs to learn to spell and use proper punctuation...

10. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    We have loads of these replica cars over here, f40's 355's, tr's.
    Who in god's name buy's them, because they are god awful.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I found this POS just a few blocks from my house in a city park.

12. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    that f50 looks like a go-cart to me...

ernie

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Seriously who buys these? they are so awful.

14. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

my favorite part are the 6x9 speakers in the console. Nice!
    If I saw that thing next to me at a stoplight I would seriously bust out laughing....sad thing is that some people would not know the difference between it and the real thing.

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Granted......some replicas are very poorly done, as the ones shown; especially the 288GTO.

Yet, some are very nice, and truly deceiving.

One thing I don't understand though, is those that seem to vehemently decry kit cars and replicas the most, seem to be the ones monitoring the sites selling them.

Just a question, and not meant to be a flame. Also, it's not directed at this thread only; there have been many of them.

Not only here, but on other Ferrari sites too.

So, the question is, why do people that are against kit cars so much, monitor the sites selling them???

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    What the?! As an ex Fiero owner, this makes me sick.

Here's a pic of my (RIP!) car. It said 'Ferrari' absolutely nowhere, and did not have 12" subs in the celing...

It did have 265/35/18 rubber in back however (Porsche 996 N3 size front and rear), and stuck pretty well for what it was.

17. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Darn- it has an alarm. I was going to go steal it to go with the one I stole from Algar Ferrari....

18. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    That's sad...

I think people discuss kit cars on this forum because they are listed in the same catagory as the original cars if you go to Dupont, ebay, etc.

I have to admit I'm guilty of looking at one. I'm in the market for a Diablo (I'll keep the 355...never sell her).

About 2 months ago came across a Diablo kit car that was about 3 hours from me and figured it would make for a nice excuse to put the top down and go for a cruise...just needed to satisfy my curiosity of what the kit cars are all about.

The car was built by one of the best builders around, Wild Rides in TX. It was built on a custom tube frame (not Fiero) and had a built 350, balanced, blue printed, port polished, etc. Put out a little over 600 according to the seller. Car was less than a year old.

Got to tell you it was the biggest POS I have ever been in and there is no mistake that you are in a kit car. Minor things did not work, A/C, driving lights, speedo, door did not align or shut properly and a lot of rattle and roll. Car was extremely unstable even at 65 mph. I can go on and on, but that would be a moot point.

When I got back in the 355 it felt like I was driving a Rolls...solid, well built, tight and you could feel the quality of workmanship even through the steering wheel....

The ride home was great and hightened my aprreciation of what F cars are all about..
    :)

19. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    I like the Fiero...as a Fiero :)

That kitcar F50 is absolutely disgusting...wouldn't want it if they give me money with it :D
    That '288 GTO' looks better...a little bit :)

20. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I don't know why it needs an alarm. lol

21. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Perhaps - so the guy knows to call the insurance company, get the cash and buy a real car?? :)

Seems to me there are some very good replica Cobra builders out there but on a whole - I agree I don't understand replica cars..

22. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My god that car looked like ass...who does that crap? For what it cost this dude to destroy that car he could have bought something else far more capable.

23. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I dont like this one bit.

The ONLY replica I would ever consider would be a Cobra, and thats because the originals are so rare.
    Its not like Diablos are rare, the same goes for the 355, there are replicas I see around here (Austin) that, while they may be convincing on the outside they sound like VWs and are usually 4cyl cars with fiberglass interiors.

I have to admit though that I was convinced that saw a Black Diablo Roadster, so I pulled over to see and the paint was so thin I saw fiberglass and lots of swirl. I think it had a Cadillac engine.

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I knew we were in for a treat when I see the guy doesn't even know how to spell the word "expensive" in his text!

Apparently he needs to sell the car in order to put new siding on his house and replace the broken basketball hoop.

Seriously, couldn't Ferrari sue the maker of this thing for copyright infringement? I see the Ferrari name all over this hunk o' junk, and that's not right! Nothing should bear the name Ferrari unless it IS a Ferrari!!! Especially not something as obnoxiously ugly as this thing!

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Where do I send my check ? :)