Schumi vs Eurofighter live 2day------------ | FerrariChat

Schumi vs Eurofighter live 2day------------

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tonyh, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    see ferrari owners site for this .10.30 -12 noon [CET]

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nooooo ! Its 10.24 and i have to leave for school in 30 mns....:(

Did download the villeneuve video though ! Great stuff

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Damn, must've tuned in at the last minute. All I saw was a crowd of people just hangin around with some Italian dudes talking in the background. Then it went to a rotating Scudi Shield and then it stopped streaming. Too bad. Hope they put up a video.

What the hell am I doing up anyway. I'm going to bed.

4. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
  5. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    I have heard on TV that F2003-GA won and finished a few meters in front of the Eurofighter on the distance of 500 meters.

1000m and 1500m races will follow.

6. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Video of today event :

http://www.euronews.net/popup.php?lien=stream1.euronews.net:8080/ramgen/new/cut/ferrari_25286_1.rm?usehostname

Euronews :

Ferrari versus Eurofighter in Tuscany

The creme de la creme of Formula One against the best of areonautics: Michael Schumacher has been racing his Ferrari F2003-GA against the Italian Air Force's Eurofighter Typhoon. They covered three different distances: 500, 1000 and 1500 metres.

The first machine is the Ferrari F2003-GA with a top speed of 369 km per hour, the second, a Eurofighter Typhoon, which exceeds the 2 000 kms per hour.

As predicted, Ferrari won the shorter distance race thanks to its excellent acceleration. However, the jet's brute force won it the two following races.

The plane had to avoid taking off and stay on the ground, which took extra control since it normally only takes five seconds before it rises into the air.

The event, which took place at Baccarini military airport in Grosseto in Tuscany, attracted tens of thousands of spectators and was broadcast live on Italian television.

It was not the first time a race car was up against a plane: in 1931, Tazio Nuvolari, the best racing driver of his day, drove his Alfa Romeo faster than the Caproni CA100.

7. rahulchand

rahulchand Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Australia
    http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8137615%255E1702,00.html

MICHAEL Schumacher's Ferrari was outshone by an Italian Air Force fighter jet today.

Driving his F2003-GA in which he won the Formula One world title for a record sixth time, Schumacher lost 2-1 over three distances - 600, 900 and 1200 metres - against a Eurofighter Typhoon in a duel designed to bring the full acceleration range of both machines into play.

The jet, piloted by former Italian astronaut Maurizio Cheli and which can only stay on the ground for the first 400 metres, occupied the main runway at the Baccarini airport, 140 kilometres from Rome, while the Ferrari raced alongside it on an asphalt track.

Schumacher edged the Eurofighter over the shortest distance but was no match for the jet's superior acceleration in the final two races watched by thousands of spectators in the driving rain.

"It was a very interesting experience," Schumacher said. "I was glad to be here today - it was very impressive.

Asked if he preferred racing against a jet to competing against Juan Pablo Montoya, the 34-year-old German replied: "It's less pressure!"

The F2003-GA is capable of reaching a maximum speed of up to 370 kilometres per hour, while the Eurofighter, packed with military technology, can speed at almost 2450 km/h.

The jet carried no weapons and weighed slightly under 21,000 kilograms. The Ferrari weighed in at 600kg and was slighly modified for the race with its outer shell ajusted slightly to make it more aerodynamic.

The contest was designed to provide maximum equilibrium between the two contestants in a reenactment of a challenge that first took place in 1931 when Tazio Nuvolari, driving an Alfa Romeo, took on a Caproni 100 biplane at Rome airport.

Fifty years later, in November 1981, Gilles Villeneuve and his Ferrari 126 CK raced an F104 jet.

Most recently, Patrick Carpentier challenged an F14 Tomcat with his CART Champ Car in the United States.

Agence France-Presse

8. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    They had a brief segment on it on good morning america a few minutes ago

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm surprised that you can 'drive' a jet that fast.

If it beat the Ferrari over the long distance, it must have been going about 330 km/h. Amazing that its suspension and wheels can take that.

10. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Here is the pics !

11. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Thanks for the pic! It's my newest screensaver.