End of the 2003 F1 Season | FerrariChat

End of the 2003 F1 Season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jason W, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    So, now that the season is over, do you think the rule changes had a positive or negative effect on the racing?

Is the racing more exciting? More competitive?

Do you think what the FIA was trying to accomplish with the new rules was actually accomplished?

Jason-

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    well i didn't really care for the one lap qualifing. it seemed most of the rules were directed to ferrari. although williams did make strides forward as did michelin. just glad jpm is a car wrecker. i wonder how long sir frank will be able to afford his antics. i suppose next year ms will have to tow an anchor and his highness BE will have the shut off button on rubens car.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The real question is this: do you think the rule changes were the reason (overall) that the championship came to such a close call? If so, then they were a success (esp. in BE / MM's eyes...as closer races mean more excited viewship, etc.).

--Dan

4. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I'm hugely disappointed at the lack of progress in banning driver aids. If I wanted to see scalextric I 'd set up the track right here, and there would still be a damn sight more oversteer.
    This was an exciting season, however, and I look forward to a similarly competitive 2004.

edited to say: in response to bobafett's real question, I think it was a bit of both rule changes and luck - the excitement was not entirely contrived, but they should be careful not to play around with the format too much more.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Naturally the rules can't be singularly responsible for causing such events - but my question should be, in essence, do you think the rule changes made a significant or obvious difference i nthe season so as to create more drama and competition.

It seems yes. But, you're right, they should not force much more than they already have. I think we will be taking two steps backwards as far as the progression of the sport goes, should the FIA / BE + MM continue to force restrictions.

--Dan

PS: Can I come over and play with you toy cars? :D Actually, setting up each track and then running it would be TONS of fun! Hmm... :D

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think we did see some influence from the rule changes. They might be more subtle, but they were there:

- Single lap qualifying wrecked some havoc for some drivers. Kimi in Spain comes to mind and it also put a huge dent into DC's career who seemed to struggle with it.

- The smaller points difference for 1st and 2nd and the wider spread of points (to 8) has changed some of the driving attitudes. We saw that (unfortunately) in some more cruising style displays of MS in e.g. Hungary and Suzuka. I don't blame him for that, it was the smart thing to do, but it is a bit boring for the fans.

Having been to two GPs I have to say Sunday mornings are dreadful for the local spectators. There is NOTHING going on till the race begins at 1pm. That doesn't sound right to me. Combine that with the fact, that pole positions have lost a bit of their prestige because you never know whether they 'cheated' with low fuel loads I have to say for next season I wish they would allow the teams to work on the cars again after qualifying. That would bring back Sunday morning warm up, make the spectators happy and also bring back meaning to the pole position.

7. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    Fun - tons, yes. Just let me know when you get to France and I'll start clearing the sitting room of coffee table, sofa, wife, etc.:D

8. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    yeah i dont like the rules for this year either!

9. azbobbybooshay10

Jun 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Bobby Patricca
    Holy uncontrollable pointless thread bumps, Batman!