OFF TOPIC | FerrariChat

OFF TOPIC

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Dec 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Any one else using BT Broadband and having trouble staying connected? Last couple of days have been awful ,i'm losing connection every 10 mins or so......

2. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm on BT openworld broadband & used to suffer that same sort of thing.
    We bought a new modem & wireless cards to create a network recently, & haven't had any probs since. I'm pretty sure it was my old modem that was the problem.

Regards
    Phil

3. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've been on Freeserve Broadband for just over a month now and it seems pretty good. Only been kicked off a couple of times in that period. Don't know if you're locked into a contract term, but with FS I can walk at any time so it may be worth hassling customer services and say your going to move. The problem may be at your exchange.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Thnx Phil,
    I've got the original Alcatel modem and up to now it's been fine.Maybe i 'll update it.
    Tony

5. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Tony,
    I would have thought that is the problem. Is it the Green stingray one?
    Mine had a tendency to suddenly turn off.
    This new wireless one http://www.shop.bt.com/bin/venda?ex=co_disp-view&invt=006743&bsref=btshop is just always online. It's separate, so there is no connecting & disconnecting.
    I definately recommend it. It also gives you the wireless network option.

Regards
    Phil

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #6 tonyh, Dec 11, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tony,

I had this just 3 weeks ago. I was on the Alcaltel modem since they introduced broadband. Probs started with dropped connections and within 3 days it would just not connect. I called them and established it was the hardware. They got me a replacement out the next day (no cost). This one is much bigger & squarer (Westel) but I can swear it is faster !

Good Luck
    Philip

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Tony

the problem is that evey so often BT update the Exchange Hardware or Software. Your Modem will need a firmware update if one has been written yet alternatively you could buy a new one but be aware that Netgear kit is one of the worst at the moment so we're switching to Netopia (around £100)

Mark

9. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I also have one of those little green BT Broadband monsters.
    Been on it for about a year now. Never had a problem.
    I do fancy that wireless option though.
    Anybody have any experience with them?
    Are they worth getting?
    I would like to network it with my laptop.
    Does is slow up the signal much?

Wazza

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Mark,
    so will a driver update fix the prob. or is that the modem needs replacing?Alacatel have been taken over by Thomson so if the fix is the latter will BT supply new modem or do i stump up £??
    Tony

11. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Wazza,
    I have just recently put a wireless network in the house. I have two desktops & one laptop running on it. You basically will need a router, which your modem plugs into, & a network card in each computer.
    They all share the same connection, so if both computers are being used at the same time you may lose a little speed. I barely notice it, unless someone is constantly downloading stuff. The only problem I've had is with range. I live in an old house with really thick walls. The cards just arent strong enough to get a signal through them. Luckily, my computers are above & below each other, so it isn't really a problem. It does stop me from using the laptop 'anywhere' though.
    This won't be a problem if you live in a modern house, but I'd buy them from a place where you could return them if there was a problem.
    You will have a one problem though. I see you have the same modem as tony, any router needs to be linked through an ethernet connection, whereas the alcatel modem only has a usb connection. So basically you either need a new modem with ethernet, or buy a router/modem in one.
    I bought http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/006743&bklist=page,3,,home
    one these for the laptop http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201523&pcount=&Product_Id=122691
    & two of these for the desktops http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201523

I'd definately reccomend it.
    Anyway, hope this help & sorry about all the rabbiting on :D

Now, back to ferrari's :p

12. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #12 Badapple, Dec 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wazza,
    Forgot with the networking you can also share all files/software between you. I've found it really useful.

456GT,
    Just wondered which car is your avatar pic is from? I saw a large image & it has jaeger clocks.

Phil
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Badapple,
    Thanks for that I'll give it a go

Wazza

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Still having BIG probs with my connection.BT tell me if it was fault with modem, i wouldn't be able to connect at all.They are running test overnight on line.Any other suggestions, guys?
    Tony

15. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip

Tony,

so you can avoid all this delay and testing etc just tell them that when you move the modem wires you loose connection. You have also re-installed the dreiver and nothing changes. You suspect that the connections in the modem are shot. They will agree its the modem and get you a new one the next day. If that does not fix the probelm then try all the other voodoo they are doing. I however suspect that changing the modem will sort it all out !

Cheers
    Philip

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Philip ,
    thanks, i'll give that approach a go.
    Tony

17. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Had a nightmare recently with our Orange broadband disconnecting, think it's sorted now we've changed to a Live Box.