Replacement cost of Stradale pads and disk? | FerrariChat

Replacement cost of Stradale pads and disk?

Discussion in '360/430' started by loungedog, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I have been hearing that the replacement cost of the ceramic carbon disks and pads on an Enzo is around $15,000 to $25,000 per corner. Amounts varies from one article to another.

I understand that the Stradale has close to the same ceramic carbon disks and pads as the Enzo...what will the costs be to replace the brakes on the Stradale???

Does anyone know what the life expectancy of these parts with fairly normal driving and with four to five track days a year will be?

In articles I have read regarding the ceramic brakes on the 996 GT2 that there were to last the life of the car...realistically five to six years of use in my mind.

Has anyone read anything about these costs and life expectancy??

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fifteen large per CORNER?

i thought it was like twelve large all-in. i was at my dealer not too long ago and they had an enzo in for a brake job - i thought that's what they said it cost at that time.

doody.

3. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    :eek:

Wow that sounds expensive.

No idea yet about life expectancy, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'll phone my dealer tomorrow to find out price.

Wazza

4. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Stradale owners will be raped.

Enzo owners will be raped prison style.

Paul

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFLMFAO!

doody.

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have a friend in a technical position at FNA. i'm buying a stradale and i also heard rumors about how expensive the brakes were, etc. so i asked him about the longevity of the brakes. he knows that i will only occasionally track the car and that i like to drive hard around town but that's about it. he said the rotors would basically last forever and the pads would also last a very long time. i hope he's right :)

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    am i the only one that has no idea what this means :)

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Rolling On The Floor Laughing My F'ing A$$ Off.

Oh, the rotors are designed to last for the life of the car including track use. The pads are replaced like any other pad. The Stradale brakes are 1/3 of the cost of the Enzo's, or so I hear.

Sunny

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Does anybody consider strange that Enzo/Stradale ceramic discs need replacement (let alone that soon since all cars are virtually new) while Porsche's are rated to last for the life of the car (the discs, not the pads though) ?

10. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Wow,

When then brakes and pads go the Stradale's brake job could cost a small fortune! :( I would truely like to see what it would cost to replace disc's and pads on this car! Can anyone with a Stradale call their dealer and find out?

I wonder if Ferrari would warranty the brakes if they do not last as expected? If a brake job costs $20,000 to $30,000 I would hope that these disc's and pads would last at least 5 years! What do you guys think?

I understand that owners of the Porsche 996 GT2 have taken Porsche to court in the US because the brake disc's and pads could not take the heat from owners tracking their cars. The heat wound up breaking the pads apart which then damaged the disc's :( Even though Porsche implied that their ceramic disc's were developed for un sprung weight savings (which they are) they also were touted as being completely impervious to heat. From the many posts I have read on http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=17411&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#Post19208this was not the case for some of the Porsche owners. :(

I hope the Ferrari's Stradale's disc's and pads are better sorted out then Porsche or their is going to be some pretty disappointed owers!

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Indeed. Definitely my #2 worry with the car.
    (#1 worry is whether I will actually ever get one. ;) )

12. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    two reasons I have found for problems with the P-car:

- exesissive heat -> cracks in rotor between the dilled holes
    - excessive brake pad wear -> pad material designed for street use (noise)

got a quick note from my dealer in e-mail - credit to them to get it out fast - luckily I do what they ask anyhow - good idea is also not to apply brakes (if you are standing still) in that phase if you have to stop:

"I also thought I would give you some information that Ferrari passed on to us regarding the brakes on the Stradale. They told us that the rotor life can be greatly affected by the manor in which they are cooled down after having been driven hard, this mostly pertains to track use but also to aggressive street use. They told us that after using the brakes hard for an extended period of time, the car should be driven for cool-down for approximately 3 kilometers without exerting too much pressure on the brakes.

The example Ferrari specifically used was if the car is used on the track and the brakes are brought to a high temperature, the car should be driven for at least one cool-down lap (two would be best depending on the length of the track) wherein the brakes are used very minimally. If the car is brought straight off of the track with the brakes hot and parked the brake rotors will not last nearly as long."

13. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    [/quote]
    The example Ferrari specifically used was if the car is used on the track and the brakes are brought to a high temperature, the car should be driven for at least one cool-down lap (two would be best depending on the length of the track) wherein the brakes are used very minimally. If the car is brought straight off of the track with the brakes hot and parked the brake rotors will not last nearly as long."[/QUOTE]

Some good info regarding extending the life of the rotors... any info on the costs of new rotors and pads yet?

14. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Has anyone found out what the cost of rotors and pads are for the Stradale? Maybe its a state secret? :)

15. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Yes,

Around £15,000 in the UK for the lot Shoes, Disks, all the bits, all round.

I was also told the disks should last you a lifetime, it's only the pads that need replacing through normal wear.

Well I guess they would say that.

So why is it that ( I'm hearing through other sources) than when the
    The Enzos have been coming in for there general services that the discs
    are quietly being replaced without the customer's knowlege!!!???

This is just what I heard and have no way of telling if it's true or not
    But the person who told me would be in a position to know.

Wazza