Interior Restoration | FerrariChat

Interior Restoration

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Tspringer, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Im planning on having the mousehair dash re-covered and some other minor interior restoration work done on the Daytona. Re-originals has perfect early Daytona wood steering wheels that I cannot resist. Im also going to have some minor detail things fixed like the piping in the leather in one spot on the drivers seat.

Im planning on taking the car down to Coral Gables Florida to leave it with a guy named Joe Nitti. He comes highly recommended from Tom Mabon, who also has a Daytona. Toms cars interior looks fantastic, and Joe did it. Joe is planning on basically restoring the original interior everywhere except the dash. this means he is not replacing the leather set covers, just sewing in a new section of piping to replace the worn section. He will then treat the leather, strip it and re-dye it. He is also going to replace the stuffing in the seats and such.

Anyone have experience with Joe? Tom says he is pretty reasonable on price, but in discussing the project price is something I cant get nailed down. I do understand this, as he has not actually seen the car yet and thus cannot assertain everything it requires. He is adamant that it will be "perfect" when I go to get it. Perfect is fine by me.... unless it brings a 5 figure bill! or even a past the mid-point 4 figure bill.

Anyway.... any experience or info on this project and/or references for Joe are appreciated.

Terry

2. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Joe used to be here in Atlanta. Although I never used him, I know a lot of folks said he was (is) great. Please let us know who you use to do the mousehair.

3. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I am getting the entire interior done with Leather Magic a guy name Jim. Seems like a good guy. The dash, seats, and the door panels. Top of the dash will be done in what they call alacantra suede. The carbon fiber seats, door panels, and the rest of the dash will be done in leather. Also there is this guy in Fl. that does steering wheels. I think his co. is called Agla. I got a 360 wheel that he is gonna do for me. Hopefully all should be done in about 2 weeks. If you wait, I'll let you know how it all turned out so you don't have to go all the way to Fl.
    I'll keep you posted.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Alga did my steering wheel two years ago. They did a pretty good job.

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Joe has my car now in Cape Coral FL. He is redoing the seats, mousehair and some other trim panels as well as anything else the interior needs. HE is getting the clock fixed, and redoing the window cables in the doors.... It should be 100pt concours when finished.

He called me this morning after dismantling the dash. Seems the dash solid backing is all torn apart and has been poorly repaired in the past. Joe is going to fabricate some new pieces and re-construct it. He is shooting photos of everything he does, I will post it all when done.

I hope to go get the car before first of the year, but there is a ton of work to be done so we will see.

Terry

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Terry, are you planning to bring the entire car to concours condition or just the interior ?

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I dunno. Im sure it will never be FCA 100pts or anything like that. Im not going to pay $5K for some silly tools so my tool kit is complete (its missing 4 or 5 items) and my car has MSD ignition boxes and an external oil cooler so a purest judge would probably freak.

I am going to detail the engine bay / suspension and underside to concours condition and the paint is pretty close already. I want the car to be cosmetically and mechanically perfect. I dont care if some judge at some show turns his nose up at mechanical upgrades that increase performance and driveability.

I think its fun to tinker with the car. Cleaning stuff and detailing it is fun. Not as fun as driving it.... but the neat thing is if you drive it a ton, you get to tinker with the dealing a bunch too!

Terry

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I love tinkering with mine too. That's the main reason I bought the lift for my garage so I could clean the undercarriage and just mess around. I recommend a lift from www.teamlift.com. It was $2600 for the lift, shipping and installation.

9. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Which model did you get ?

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I bought the SS7000 residential lift and love it.

11. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Looks nice. :)

A couple questions:

How long did it take them to install?

If you're using the lift to stack cars, how high does the garage ceiling need to be? I'm talking about stacking sports cars. I've got a sinking feeling my ceiling is too low.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Manatee, it took about 6 hours for the installer to install my lift. It took Overhead Door Company of Atlanta about 3 hours to raise my garage door to a "ceiling hugger" , although it turned out I didn't really need to have that done as I would have had plenty of room anyway. I have a 10 foot ceiling and I can stack my Boxer on top of my M5 or vice versa. The formula used by Team Lift for minimum ceiling height is: the height of both cars plus 4 inches. Since my Boxer is 44.1 inches tall and my M5 is 56 inches tall I have plenty of room to spare. You can download the installion instructions at www.teamlift.com to see what is involved. I do recommend them as I am well pleased with my lift. I'm glad I paid for the installation as the parts are heavy and I watched them install mine and it looks like quite a hassle.

13. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Frank - thanks for the info. Looks like my ceiling may be too low for comfort. I don't think I can convince my wife that the attic above the garage would have to go away :(

Happy Holidays,
    Vince

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Manatee, as long as you have any clearance at all you're fine. After all, your cars won't get any taller over time. An inch of clearance is as good as a foot !

15. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    $2,600 installed is a very good price.

I got the SS7000 from Eagle Equipment for $3,000 without installation, but I did get the jack tray and caster kit thrown in. It looks like the exact same lift as your's, just with a different company name on it. I wish I knew about your source before I purchased mine. It wasn't that hard to assemble, but it took about two days and two friends to help since I hadn't done anything like it before and the car support rails are quite heavy.

I do recommend it if you want the extra space and like working on your own cars. Ten foot ceilings will be fine for storing two cars and adequate for working on them. That M5 can be raised about five feet which is plenty of room to stand under the car. Anything much taller and you need 11 feet of clearance to be comfortable.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Bandit, per the TeamLift folks they make lifts for several other companies which those companies then sell as their brand.

17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Tery, do you plan to recover the dash or work with the existing material. I had mine recovered but it was hard to find the correct original material. Perfect now. Hope it works out for you.