good HAND CAR WASH on Long Island or NYC?anyone?please help! | FerrariChat

good HAND CAR WASH on Long Island or NYC?anyone?please help!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by giandu, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. giandu

giandu Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    is there any good HAND CAR WASH on Long Island or NYC?anyone?please help!

thank you

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GO TO NY TRISTATE SECTION....BETTER INFO THERE

WELCOME

3. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    The one i use for my car is in Great Neck. the place is called TOYS FOR BIG BOYS, pricey but very good.

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
  5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I replied to your other thread in the OT section already, but check out board sponsor technik 1. Have heard some good things about their hand wash from some of my clients while they were in NYC and needed a wash.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I know where you can get a good 'Hand Job'!

Unfortunately, it isn't in New York. :)

Me bad........!

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Your driveway, perhaps?

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I don't know about you, but the thought of some minimum-wage goof scrubbing down your car and its $7,000 paint finish with a dirty rag while he holds the keys in his pocket.....you must be joking, right??? You pay someone else to wash your car???

Tell you what - you bring the car to my house here in Charleston, I'll wash it, detail it, make it shine using some of the best car-care products available. All I'll charge is let me drive it downtown somewhere for dinner.

9. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    M. James:

There is a vast difference in detailing facilities. You obviously do not bring your nice car to the local detail place with employees making $5/hour. But I see no problem bringing it to a proper detail facility that properly washes the car with 2 buckets, 2 sponges, 2 drying clothes, and takes their time.

As a detailer, I am trusted with my client's cars and take my time in properly detailing them. 1.5 hours for a wash and about 8 hours for a detail. I am not in the same market as a local detail shop that blows out 15-30 cars a day. Just as with cars, you cannot classify every detail facility in the same catagory.

10. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I, for one, live in the city and do not have the ability to wash my car myself. I can either take it to a detailer or an automatic car wash. If I didn't want those two options, the third option would be to let the car stay dirty until I move out of the city and buy a house...

11. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I think that people who DO NOT live in Manhattan must understand is that it is hard to hand-wash your car yourself. Where are you going to do it? You don't have your own hose. You don't have your own driveway. Unless you live in a $7M+ townhouse with a private garage, handwashing your own car is somewhat out of the question. Unless you know your doorman who will let you use the hose (some will but some won't), your car will stay dirty.

Of course I would want to wash my own car. I would even wash it while it was snowing! But I find it very hard to get the opportunity to do it in NYC.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    \warning: humor intended
    Which brings up the point: if it is in Manhatten, it will take at least an hour to get somewhere where you can use more than 3rd/2nd gear. And by then, it can't possibly be clean anymore. So why bother???
    /warning.

On the other hand, There is the 3 bucket method, often described in R&T or C&D. One bucket contains warm water with detergent, and two buckets contain cold water. Starting at the top and continuing top to bottom: The procedure begins by taking a clean towel through the warm water and wiping down a 3ft by 3ft section (smaller if really dirty). The towel is wrung until nearly dry, then rinsed in bucket 2, then wring dry, then rinsed in bucket 3; Repeat until car is finished.

This procudure can be performed in a parking lot. Since you have a car, and since you obviously have a place to park it, you can do the job yourself.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny