brake rotor removal | FerrariChat

brake rotor removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WaltP, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    How does a rear brake rotor come off of a 308? It looks quite simple but I want to find out for sure before I get into it. Thanks.

2. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Hi WaltP,

The rotor has two rim indexing studs that need to be removed and then the rotor should come off. It will be, most probably, stuck in place with all the rust and brake dust cacked on. I have used penetrating fluid and a some gentle (but firm) tapping all around to break it loose. Once it breaks it will come off easily.

By the way, I assume you have the caliper out of the way...

Gianluca

3. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    With the two retaining pins removed (and the caliper out of the way), turn the rotor 1/4 turn and whack the backside with a rubber mallet. Turn 1/4 and repeat until it comes off. (really)

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    It may also help if you de-adjust the handbrake shoes - this is done by inserting a screwdriver in the hole in the disc face and turning the brass adjuster so that it releases the brake shoes inside the rotor.

MW

5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Thanks a lot, that is what it looked like to me but I wasn't sure.
    Gianluca, didn't I meet you at Brian Willis' party last spring in Atlanta?

6. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    No such thing on a 308.

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Ricrain,

Thanks for correcting me - my mistake I was thinking of a 328

MW

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Whack repeatedly with a hammer and a piece of wood. Whack until you are blue in the face, and then whack some more. Curse at the guy who did not use anti-sieze before you. And then swear to use anti-sieze up on reassembly.

The two rotors took me two days.

Ricrain = Ric Rainbolt? Are you back ? Or, just a temporary respite from the brass ring?

9. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    it will help you if you sand top of bearing housing to get it out the rest of the way

10. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Thanks to all, It came off with only hand pressure.

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ..for my 1977 308. I just purchased new front and rear rotors and calipers, along with a brake bleeder.

I'm going to do the job myself, but I'll start with the fronts only. I'm still in search of a park brake solution, so I'll keep the rears stock for now....

My kit consists of 4-piston Wilwoods, 12 5/8" front rotors, 12" rear rotors, pads, SS lines, and a Tilton brake bias adjuster. (I have 17" Speedlines). I need to know:

1) Any special tools required to remove the rotors? Hub removal tool?
    How exactly is it done?

2) If I only replace the fronts, do I need to bleed all 4 calipers? Should I remove ALL brake fluid? Or just get all I can out of the fronts only.. My fluid is only 11 months old.

3) Should I use anti-seize compound upon installing new rotors?

4) I haven't torn down the rear yet, but I've heard of some 308s having caliper mount holes on both the front AND rear of the upright. This would be great, enabling me to install the new rear caliper to the FRONT of the rear rotor, and mount a small mechanical park brake caliper in the stock location. I would welcome any suggestions on how to achieve a park brake solution on a 308 with aftermarket rear calipers.....!

5) Any advice on how to install my Tilton brake bias adjuster, possibly inside the cabin?

I REALLY would appreciate any advice on how to tackle this project. I installed my custom suspension components, so I feel I have a pretty good understanding of that area of the car. I'd like to accomplish this myself, rather than paying a shop, if possible...!

Thanks in advance,
    Greg
    1977 308 GTB USA

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Please respond to this in my new thread, in Tech, w/ same title...

Thanks,
    Greg

13. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Walt--why are you removing them? can i be of assistance?

PS--are you coming to Savannah this weekend--we have 40 cars coming