What does everyone think of the '03 E55 AMG? | FerrariChat

What does everyone think of the '03 E55 AMG?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by STEEDA30, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    I think it's a sweet car for the money, you get both luxury and excellent performance (in a straight line at least). Runs 12.3 @ 116 bone stock :eek: Not to mention it's just dead sexy looks.

2. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    It's a great looking mid-size sedan. Really like the new wheels and front valance.

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Fast, really really fast!

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Very cool, but id take a used Arnage.

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did I say I love this car? :D

7. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    Did anyone see that Motor Trend, or Road and Track special where they tested the 10 exotics against one another. It was maybe 4 or 5 months ago. Maybe longer. But they had a Benz on there, I cant recall which one exactly, but it was a regular production model, and had removed the electronic speed limiter. If I recall correctly it had a higher top speed than the 575M, AND I didn't think it was even an AMG. But, I could be wrong....With that type of performance I think now it must have been AMG. Damn I forget which car it was...It was 2 door fullsize, not an SL. Sorry guys, I know this is kind of a uselss post, but did anyone see that!?

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    W2... err CL?

That's pretty much a S-Class with two doors.

The next posts I shall post the god.. CL65 pictures. Get some extra underwear.

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    its a very nice car
    i test drove one, wicked fast

and i think the 4 huge exhaust pipes are extremely orgasmic

however the v10 bmw m5 will chew this car out and spit it out.

the e55 will be king of the road for the next year only :)

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Chew the car out? I think not, doesn't the AMG have a significant amount more of torque at the lower end?

12. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    well its a v10 over 500 hp

the amg has a v8 supercharged 469hp

i love the amg more anyways...just saying the bmw M cars with thier 6 speed sticks usually hand the amg auto cars, thier lunch

the old m5 with 400 hp was the champ over the old e55. now this e55 is the champ, but wait till bmw unleases the v10 sedan!

13. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Not 469 as stated, its more around the 493/498 of it's SL55 brother on the dyno.

To me it's not really hp that matters its more (correct me if i'm wrong) torque which gets you off the line. The AMG should have more low end torque right?

14. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    I would think that the AMG would have more low to midrange torque on tap due to it's roots style supercharger, that kind of s/c is known for some badass low end punch. Is BMW's V10 supercharged? or all motor? I would think it's n/a, like the Vipers but I haven't checked. It will be quite a machine regardless. :cool: I'm sure some magazine will do a shootout between the two.

15. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    MB could always turn up the boost a little to make it faster. I think it runs less than 10 psi boost. My small AMG runs 1 bar boost. Most of these engines can safely handle more boost. I have a Porsche turbo that I run at 16 psi boost. The factory setting was 12 psi boost. I've been doing this for over 55K miles and 45 track events. By the way, there was a 355 Challenge car at Road Atlanta two weeks ago at a PCA event. It could not open a gap on the straight there....and mine is only a 4 cylinder with 8 valves and 144K miles. The temperature was in the 70's.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Luxo-barge. Very quick. You will get bored.

--Dan

17. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    If 493 HP isn't enough for you, I can sell you some RENNtech goodies to hop it up even more!

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Gonna make lots of old men spill their crackers.

Cool car, but I agree with Dan. You'll still get bored.

I'd take an E39 M5 over anything MB makes. Still. And loose a drag race with a smile.

Of course, the MBs could be worse, they could all be 230s ;)

CL65 is pretty cool with over 600hp. Yeipes. Stoopid power.

Best!
    Ben.

19. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I've always been a diehard Bimmer fan. But the new E55 has really made my head towards Mercedes. The outside is classey, the inside is VERY nice, and who can argue with all that power??? I sure hope BMW has something nifty up its sleeve with the new M5.....

20. vette79

vette79 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    i have that magazine you are talking about where they tested the sl55 amg against all of the 100k+ exotics....yes it had an incredibly fast top speed... and that wasnt the half of it...
    in the magazine article they had a few cars with limiters, due to the agreement of sorts between all of the german manufactureres to limit their autobahn bombers to a top speed of 155. the sl55 amg has been known for having incredible acceleration for a sedan... to the point where it would pull all the way up to the speed limiter. because of this, the magazine asked benz to take off their limiter of 155 so that they could test the cars true potential. they found out that the benz surpassed the 155 mark with incredible ease. amazingly, this sedan passed the 170 mph mark... still pulling. once again the editors were shocked to find that the car continued accelerating all the way to 187.
    when benz was called and informed by the magazine editors that the car had hit 187 mph, the german plant frontman only laughed and responded " of course. we knew it could do that. thats why we only took off the first level of the speed limiter." which explains the car accelerating at a pretty decent clip all the way to what was near a 190 mph blast.
    truly an amazing vehicle.

21. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Hehe, the first level of the limiter, insane. Makes me wonder what some of these crazy fast Supras would do top end, 200+ easy I'm sure. My friend has a '98 single turbo Supra with about 1100 bhp (SP76 turbo) and it's time from 60 mph - 130 is right around 4 seconds flat (traction is an issue).

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The problem with the SL55 is that no tires can handle a car that heavy at those speeds...that's why they have a "second limiter."

Agent Smith (dude, Wednesday!!): chassis control on the BMWs is worth so much more...

--Dan

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Great car, I thought of getting 1 till the dealer told me I had to wait a year :( The Shaguar XJR is very nice too

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Love the new exterior. Have read a lot of criticism of the brakes, though. Anyone driven the car?

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I agree, in terms of visual look, I like the XJR, then the E55, then the new ///M5...which is sad since the old ///M5 was truely an brutish beauty.