308 oil pressure sensor R&R questions | FerrariChat

308 oil pressure sensor R&R questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4re gt4, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    OK, my sensor pooped out.

1. How do I get the damn wire off? The wire enters some sort of plastic cap. The cap doesn't twist off, and there is no obvious way to pry it off with a screw driver. I'm assuming that this is just a cap, exposing the wire connection itself - correct? Or is it some sort of "snap" fitting like those found on clothing?

2. How do you get a wrench on it? Is there a trick tool of some sort?

3. On reassembly, should I:
    a. Assemble without any special sealer - perhaps just a touch of oil for lubrication to help insertion. ("I'll still respect you in the morning...")
    b. Teflon tape
    c. Anti-seize.

2. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Follow the wire and disconnect it from the other end. I replaced my unit last year and what I did was remove the oil filter housing. I don't think it will come out any other way. The housing is only held on with 3 nuts (I might have had to cut a wrench in half to get the nuts off, can't remember for sure).

Reassembly - I used teflon tape on the sensor and Lock-Tite brand gasket eliminator on the housing.

3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The wire is permanetly attached to the sensor, that is, unless you want to buy a new unit! The wire should have a disconnect about 15" from the sensor. It is a lot easier to access if you first remove the air cleaner assembly and the oil filter. I just removed the whole oil filter stand (3 nuts) as I was installing a second gauge in an unused hole on the opposite side of the stand. Even with a new sensor my dash gauge reads considerably different than the mechanical gauge. If I look very closely while driving I can see the needles in the oil pressure and water temp gauges move around slightly which probably means that I have unstable voltage or a poor ground behind the dash (an area even more fun to work in).

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    So, you're saying what I've long believed --- a Ferrari is like an onion. To access anything, you have to remove many layers. Oil pressure sensor requires removal of the headlight. Yikes!

I was hoping there was some top secret way of laying a wrench on this thing. I mean, it's in PLAIN SIGHT!!

Biggest problem: Until I can measure the thread diameter, I can't order a replacement part. I can't measure the thread diameter w/o disassembling the entire car. Hmmm..... Should I replace the main bearings while I'm in there?

5. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Actually, its not that bad. I was able to do it without removing the air cleaner assembly. I think the total time for the job was 2-3 hours and that included changing the oil also.

6. Red Mist

Red Mist Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    SEATTLE, WA
    Full Name:
    MARTY KULINA
    Did you finally do the job with shortcuts?

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I'm getting ready to do it today. I've been told you can force off the old one with channel locks and/or other crudeness, which will probably ruin the old one. However reassembly is iffy, as you might not be able to torque the new one enough to avoid leaks.

I'll be taking off the filter adapter.

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    It is best to do it right IMHO. Remove the filter housing. It is 3 bolts I think. The gasket should be ok. Mine was. It makes it much easier plus you get a chance to clean everything. Depending on which sensor you purchased you will need to remove the adapter that holds the Veglia to the filter housing. Any just thought I would try to help.

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Got this from a fellow Chatter. Hope that it helps out.

10. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    OK, just did it. It was waaay easier than I thought.

No need to remove the filter adapter. I bought a 17mm crows foot. It fit perfectly, allowing it to be turned with a 4" extension and ratchet. About 1/6 to 1/4 of a turn was possible, then reposition crows foot and continue.

Time: Maybe 10 minutes, plus 45 minute trip to Sears to get 17mm crows foot!

(Oh, BTW, my sender's hex portion is much longer than the one in the photo above. Maybe that made a difference.)

11. Red Mist

Red Mist Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    SEATTLE, WA
    Full Name:
    MARTY KULINA
    Nice job, Endo... didn't know those huge mitts would be any good at wrench-twisting...

12. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Oh, no. It's Marty. Watch out, guys. Keep your garages locked at night.