Evo COTY | FerrariChat

Evo COTY

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 550syd, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    I see that Evo's COTY edition is out - can someone post the results? Us poor sods not in the UK won't get to see the mag for weeks.

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I can tell you that Evo's COTY is now split into 2 bits; real world (sub £30,000ish) and surreal world (all cars excluding ones such as Enzo, Carrera GT etc as they propose to have a separate class for such 'hypercars' from next year)

The winner of the real world was the Subaru Impreza Turbo Spec C, and the winner of the surreal world was the 911 GT3 (beating the Stradale!)

If you 'd like more detail i.e. individual scores then let me know.

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #3 360CS, Dec 11, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Robert,

I note your a new user, welcome to Fchat UK , did you post on ther old board???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve

Robert,

I second Joe's sentiment's.....Welcome !

Steve328

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Cheers for the welcome guys. I am a new user- I 'lurked' on the old board, and fully signed up when I replaced my beloved 328 with a 355.

6. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Robert,

Your just the type of person to advise me, I have a truly great 328 GTS, One of the last RHD UK cars to be imported into the UK, I love it to death, But I'm kinda' hankering after a more modern version, The 355 GTS has taken my eye, and I want as much advice as I can gather before I take the plunge.

Driving appeal V's the Look ? Cost's are not a problem.
    Modern V's Classic ?
    Those kind of observations, rather than the out and out technical details, I know all the stats, I want to know why you did it and does it FEEL the same ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

7. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks for the info. It's a bit disappointing that the CS missed out.

8. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steve,

I hope its ok to butt in as well and say my 2pence. I've had a 308 for some time and over the last couple of years I was toying with the idea of selling it and getting a 360 or keeping it and getting an earlier 355. I decided to keep it in the end and apart for the sentimental reason that I have decided I would like to keep my first F-car for ever, my answer came as a result of doing track days. The unadulterated "mechanical" diving experience of a classic car is like a fine dance of balance, speed, timing and smooth motion. With more modern tipos there is definitlely less intimacy and more brut force (although equally enjoyable in a different sort of way). That is why I chose to have them both. As it happened, due to the time lag of my decision and finding a suitable car I ended up buying a late 355 for LHD 360 money !

In your case however, IMHO, you already own the epitomy of classic automotive magic so the 355 may diversify your portfolio of experinces more than the 328 does.

I don't know if there is any clarity in there but I hope you find it helpful ... somehow !

Cheers
    Philip

9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Steve,

Philip made a good call- own a 355 and a 328 if you can! (and while you're at it, you should probably get a 550. And an F40 of course, Oh, and an RS6 Estate for every day or perhaps a Range Rover, and now I'm being silly, and dribbling...) However, budgetary constraints meant that the 328 had to go (sniff). I'd had the 328 for 4 yrs, and felt it was time for a change.

I wanted a 355 mainly because I love the looks of it, and read all the the great reviews. I also loved the sound of the engine when I'd seen them out and about. You know the stats, so I don't need to tell you about the performance!

It feels like an altogether more substantial car with all the trappings of modern life, and is a car in which I'd relish a 4 hr drive.

But the first time you hear the sound of the engine when the cat bypass valve opens as you pass through a tunnel will have you (as it did me) reaching for your chequebook.

The 355 feels less like a 'classic' Ferrari and I suppose feels therefore relatively less special.

A bit morbid, but lets face it, the 328 is based on a 1976 design- would you really want to crash in it? Just a thought... the 355 has airbags and everything.

However, the 355 does definitely not feel like an everyday car, and it is still a huge 'event' every time I drive it. And you still can't use 2nd until it warms up a bit!

The 328 feels delicate and fragile, but gets a bit ragged in tough conditions where the 355 comes alive when you drive it hard. The feel of the 355's gearbox when changing fast at high revs is stunning. The 355's steering feels curiously light at low speeds, but perfectly weighted and feelsome when on the move. The 355 is certainly less 'tactile', but the fabulous overall driving experience is ample reward.

They are utterly different to drive, hence my agreement with Philip's comments.

I hope the above thoughts are useful. I know I felt very sad when I waved my 328 off with its new owner. However, a quick trip down the road in the 355 passing under my friendly neighbourhood railway bridge in 2nd at 8500rpm soon blew away the tears!

In a nutshell, I'd be amazed if anyone regretted buying a 355.

Start a separate thread- I'm sure there are many others who'd like to say their piece on the subject.

Good hunting!

Robert.

10. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the insight Robert, If you check my profile you'll note I have an RS6 Avant, Daily drive, Not a bad car, But no Ferrari either.
    I'll take your advice and post a sepate thread.

Cheers,

Steve