New - Avatars & Profile Pic (revote)... | FerrariChat

New - Avatars & Profile Pic (revote)...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you want Avatars & Profile Pictures? (only get both or neither at this time)

1. No

2. Yes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I personally don't like them. They make the board slower and clutter the view. Making the board faster and less cluttered is my goal.

2. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Avatars are O.K. its those big long signatures that I hate to see over and over again, you know the ones in the message area.

3. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What is an avatar?

4. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

A little icon under your userstatus (for example, your userstatus is "Rookie")...

I'm indifferent, we have Avatars on my board- could be a hastle when you have soo many members/posts- definetly clutters the board up- but does give it a personal touch.

Could go either way..

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    In place of avatars, just bring back people's names under their username. Worth the effort, IMO.

--Dan

6. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    I like them...gives everybody something personal. But small is good... :)

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I like the little ones in the left column. I don't like the large pictures that go with the signature as on Kenny's board.

Rijk

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    rob - you need to let people personalize a bit. it helps the community in the long-run.

put the avatars in. make the dimensions small if you want to keep them small. don't allow animated gifs if you don't want.

6speedonline just pulled signatures off their board. people were getting WAY out of hand. but they left the avatars and it's a really super compromise, imo.

as for the names, i'd like to see those too, like before. what'd be neat though, is to let people have a setting where they can choose "nick" "real" or "both" - that'd be cool. for someone like me, i don't care what you show - might as well be as little as possible to reduce clutter.

my two drachmas.

doody.

9. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Doody, I totally agree with you.

Small avatars but no signatures. It's actually a little cool with avatars if you ask me :)

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    rob - there's a setting in user options to show avatars or not.

people can decide individually whether or not they want to look at them.

doody.

11. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Faster is better

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Personally I do not like them and it gives goofoffs the opportunity to plaster all kinds of inappropriate material. Even worse are the signatures people have with this huge banner that repeats itself EVERY SINGLE TIME they have something to say. Short 2 line text signatures are ok.

I say save the bandwidth and keep the site light and easy to load. What I am in favor of is the opportunity to have a personal page (like in the previous site or a variation of it) where you can post a little information about yourself and a picture. In this way you have the option of visiting it and it is a chance for the members to have a little personalized touch without imposing it on everyone else.

I must say that the personal info section of the previous site was my favorite feature of any site I have visited.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Avatars: Excellent observation, Doody. See Avatars or Not. Every F-Chatter's Choice.

Since I keep seeing certain personalization subjects arise over and over - I'm going to go Off-Topic, because as you know - I'm overbearing, yet always right (laugh track):

Signatures: Overblown "Signatures" trying to upstage John Hancock are the bane of civilization.

Names: F-Chatter's Names are available to F-Chatters ONLY already. Click on "profile" - boom. If they filled out the form - you know. (Funny thing is, a high % of those desiring name displays can't be arsed to fill out their own profile) Not Google. Not yo Momma. Take my ex-wife -

- please. 99% of our problems are caused by other people. Why add to the pile by openly broadcasting anybody and everybody's blessed name unless they really want you to?
    Besides - it'll make us mysterious and sophisticated, thereby attracting other suave, sophisticated fee-paying F-Chatters. With kickass avatars - if you choose to see them.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFL, wax :)

doody.

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Thanks for the imput. I really like the new board, so many new options to make it better. I myself like avatars & you always have a personal choice of adding them to your profile.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We have that, just no pictures quite yet. User CP - Profile

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Wax,

If nothing else, I am dying at the facetious approach to everything ... but I still disagree with you! :D

--Dan

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How about we try it for a day or two and then revote? Give me about 10 minutes to activate.

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm not sure trying it for a day or two will work - people will need time to make them, etc.

--Dan

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ohh, I forgot, one of the benefits of enabling avatars is allowing a picture in the profile now. Another screwy configuration of vB3 that doesn't have to be hacked if we leave Avatars.

21. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Did mine work? I got a mesage saying there was an error when uploading the picture?

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  23. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Rob, Whenever I click on the Avatar enable button it will not "unclick" giving me the option to add one. I did get my profile pic up however.

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Same here Matt, I posted a profile pic, but it won't let load an avatar. :-(

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Opps, sorry, admin had more permissions than users, it should work now.