F1 Simulation | FerrariChat

F1 Simulation

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Really just trying to upload a couple of pictures, let's see:

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, not sure I like this much. If you click on the picture you'll get the real one, but it takes time. Oh well. :eek:

BTW: This is also to take up on the old thread "For the Simmers amongst you". Stay tuned.

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hey, what racing games do you all play?

I have EA Sports F1-2001 and am loving it...although on my last race in Austria I crashed on the second to last lap with a 10 second lead :(

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    For tifosi's concerns: Interesting how the now larger thumbnail is monochromatic - I note that the time posted was some 16 hours ago - perhaps there's been a further revision to go full color. But just to give a sense of pic "sizes" - 64.62 KB in full color/ 640x480 size, with 12.35 KB for the mono 400x320. A while ago I threw down an animation at 41.63 KB.
    _______

Don't have any F-1 Racing Games - am on PC, though - interested in recommendations for games and accessories - ie - Steerin' 'n chit.

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Yea Im on PC too...The EA sports series F1 games are pretty good in my opinion! Id check out the newest version (F1 2003? or is it 2002?)! If you can, a wheel and pedals would really help out, but I manage just find with my joystick...although sometimes the awkward motions of the joystick slow me down in some corners.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hiya Jordan, and Thanks for the tip!
    http://www.gamespot.com/finder/findgames.html?catid=138

Just found these reviews - order 'em up the way you want - by: Title, Reader Review, etc. - You'll see some titles repeated throughout, as they're on different platforms. Kewl, aye?

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heh Andreas,

What game is the Lotus 72 from?.

I have GP Legends and that is fantastic ... best stimulation game I've found ... ie. hardest, so the win makes you feel like you have won something.

Most modern F1 games are simply too easy to play and you win in the first couple of days or so ... good for easily bored 13 year olds, but not for us 30+ ...

Pete

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    PSK et al:

These are screen shots from Grand Prix 3, but the add-on package Major Tom put together. I had a thread about this on the old FChat forum "For the simmers amongst you". Meanwhile I have received all three CDs from Major Tom and now have to sort that stuff and make it into a DVD. What he basically did was collect all tracks ever written for GP3 and all car shapes and skins made for it and sorted it by year. He also added magic files (for setups and car behaviour) so now you can drive Emerson's winning Lotus in Zandvoort or Regazzoni's Ferrari at Montlehry.

Let me know if you want a copy of this. We can't really sell it as the copyright is with the original authors of the add-ons, but the ten bucks I'd like to collect are for Tom's enormous efforts to put this all together (he worked several months on this). Also you need to buy your own copy of GP3 (not 4!) to have the game for underneath. This is just an add-on.

9. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The newest is F1 Challenge 99-02. It's the last one EA Sports is coming out with. On the brighter side it looks like I'll be driving the 2nd ferrari in my racing league next season. I got my best finish of the year at japan a 2nd. And my first podium. :D

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm I'm not a fan of EA Sports car simulation. They should stick to ball sports ... IMO.

Andreas,

Thanks for that offer, but don't have the disk space for another game at the moment ... plus I would never get any work done on my Alfa. But it is cool to see what Tom has done, very interesting! If I ever do buy GP3 I'll send you a mail asap :D
    Pete

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    With regards to GPL, I tried it but couldnt get it to work on my Windows XP system. Is that a known problem with the game or is there some sort of patch for it?

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    GPL won't work under XP.

PSK, did you ever try GP4 without the drivers aids? Not simple. Just as brutal as GPL.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No. The last 'modern' GP game I played was an EA Sports one of a couple of years ago. Cannot remember the name but it was apparently FIA approved.

Anyway, within the first couple of hours I had won at Melbourne ... but hated the game because EA Sports do not do the movements properly, thus I get motion sickness ... as does everybody else I have watched try this game.

Pete

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm not a fan of EA's other work either. But they are the leader in F1 sim's right now. They changed quite a bit physics wise since F2002 and the netcode seems better too. The nice thing is they left the game open for easy modification for other types of racing later on. Since Sony now has the F1 rights and has no PC intentions. Not to mention it's taken EA several years of refinement to get to where there at now. The best hope in sims is racing legends if it ever comes out. www.west-racing.com

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Alright boys. I've just returned from my fact-finding adventure over at racesimcentral.com and here is what I learned. In order for GPL to work on XP, you need to make sure your Sierra folder has indexing turned on. Huh? Go to Sierra>properties>general>advanced and check "allow indexing service". There is also an all-in-one patch you can download which contains the 1.2 update in case you don't have that. If you go to http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=117543 it will show what I learned and where you can get your necessary patches. Hope it works--I haven't actually tried it yet!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If somebody actually gets GPL to run under XP let us know pls.

Not to start a religious war here, but Grand Prix is supposed to be the king of simulations of modern F1 cars, not EA. Having said that I have to admit I did not play any of the newer versions of EA's F1 games as I was so turned off by its older ones. Anyway, all I can say and recommend is that you guys try out Grand Prix 4. Turn off the drivers aids and tell me how you're doing. To be honest I still use traction control as do the real drivers. Without that I'd be lost. But everything else I turned off and it took about three years to get good in the ...rookie level. And that only if it doesn't rain. :eek:

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    By the way, I checked out that west racing site, and are those guys for real?! If it is, it should be incredible. Fingers are crossed.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    West racing site?

You have an URL? Are those the guys who years ago started out making the ultimate simulation for Le Mans kind of cars? If so I wouldn't hold my breath. I have seen their stuff and it is fantastic, but they've been going at it for so many years, that I'm not sure it will ever transpire.

19. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yeah their publisher screwed them over though and since the publisher owned there work they had to start over. They do a update about once a month. Hopefully the wait will be worth it and it does come out.The level of detail is unheard of really. www.west-racing.com
    It seems EA's F1 is the dominate one in online racing. And from most reviews GP4 wasn't to great. I tried the demo and wasn't impressed. But to each his own.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Glad to hear that West is back in biz. I already gave up on them.

Again, not to start a religious war here, but GP4 is really superb. True it wasn't such a quantum leap from GP3, only in the graphics, but that's because it already had/has some of the best AI for the cc cars and because its physics model is second to none. So there wasn't much room for improvement. Also it doesn't support networked racing and the closed down on some of its structure so no track editor was ever made for it. That's how its fanbase dwindled.

However if you take it for what it is and race only against the machine, I think no other game can match it. Last time I checked on the F1 racing game, they had cc cars crashing into you and cluttered the screen with arcade style graphics. But then again I haven't seen it for a long time either.

Having said all that what I really would like to see is GP5 with updated tracks and teams. But now that Hasbro owns it, that might never happen. Sadly.

Anyway, Aawil, knock on my door if you ever make it to Chicagoland and we'll go racing in my sim.

21. Sharky

Sharky Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2002
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Boonacker
    Andreas is right about FGP 4.0 Major Tom has build (along with others like Andreas). It's absolutly amazing, I'm not sure how the cars handle in real life, but the sim is more then perfect for me.
    Kinda like Psk said, when start a race/season you'll never get your work done :)
    And with all those tracks and seasons it's good to have someone that will occasionally "kick" you away from the computer.

The pictures standing on the west-racing site are really great, looking very sharp. Anyone got more pictures or previews of the sim ?

Bart

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Sharky. I think to put it all in perspective, if you want the best stand alone sim, use GP4 (or GPL for the cars from the sixties). If you want the best racing against your real live buddies, use F1.

Anyway, just wanted to use this moment to brag and congratulate myself on achieving WC with GP4. In rookie level, but only using traction control. And with realistic weather and damage. I'm proud, I admit it. So I enjoy the moment as next year I'll try it on the next level and probably won't be able to come back here to brag about it.