Schumi's F2003-GA lines up against Eurofighter 'Typhoon' in race!! | FerrariChat

Schumi's F2003-GA lines up against Eurofighter 'Typhoon' in race!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MPalilonis, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 MPalilonis, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gentlemen,

I was browsing on the FNA website today saw that tomorrow, December 11th, a speed dual is set to take place at Baccarini airport in Grosseto Italy. Michael Schumacher's Ferrari F2003-GA will line up against a Eurofighter 'Typhoon' piloted by Maurizio Cheli, an astronaut from Modena. You can also watch the event live on-line when it is streamed from 10.30 (GMT+1). However inorder to watch the event live you must register with You&Ferrari on FNA website.

Heres somebackground and event info on the duke out!! :)

"Roma, 8 December 1931: Tazio Nuvolari at the wheel of an Alfa Romeo 2300 met a Caproni 100 biplane in a showdown at the Littorio track. Fifty years later, on 22 November 1981, history repeats itself as Gilles Villeneuve and his Ferrari 126 Ck takes on an F104.

Illustrious names from the past only add to the fascination of the auto-aero battle which will take place once again this year when the best in each category will exploit the most advanced technology. At Baccarini di Grosseto, the jet plane and the Ferrari will line up, guided by two extraordinary figures: Michael Schumacher will be in the seat of the F2003-GA, the single-seater in which he claimed his sixth world crown, and Maurizio Cheli, the astronaut from Modena, in the cockpit of a Eurofighter 2000. At stake is the title of the fastest mover in town!

The plan is for two very brief races over a distance of around a kilometre. The Eurofighter will occupy the main runway and the Ferrari the one to the side. It will be a gripping affair: the Eurofighter 2000 is a plane that is packed with military technology and is the fruit of the collaboration of the best brains in the European Union. The Ferrari is designed to minimise drag and can top 350km/h; the fighter can reach almost 2450km/h. The jet will be compromised by the short distance and the single-seater can use its lightning acceleration to take the decisive advantage.

Before the challenge the original 1931 race will be recreated. Schumacher will take the place of Nuvolari at the wheel of the classic Alfa Romeo and will be trying to outrun an antique biplane over the same distance as the first race.

The airport will be open to the public on the day and the Frecce Tricolori squad will be performing." ~FNA website

I wish I was there in person to witness that this awesome event. What a thrill it would be to watch a plane go up against Schumi's F2003-GA. Crazy stuff! :)

Tifosi

~Mike P.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I'm sure it would be great to be there but not really much to see
    unlass you are at the finish line. I watched the Viper Competition coupe
    race an F-15 . The car guys thought the Viper won the jet jocks thought the plane won...actually VERY close to call but probably
    a lot of fun for the Viper driver!!!!!!!

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Forza Ferrari the euro fighter is going down!!!!!

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Schumacher won the first race vs the Fighter jet.
    However, he lost the next 2.

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hubert, is there a video of this somewhere?

Byron

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I dunno where to get the video. I saw a 5 second clip of the race that was shown on CNBC today like around 10PM or so. It looked pretty cool. Hopefully someone can post a link of the race.

:)

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Go to www.ferrari.com for the video. It is about an hour long and streaming from Italy. The car was awesome. Wet weather with big rooster tails.

But, you have to be a registered member of the site.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
  9. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm surprised but it made the Fox news tonight. They said he hit 229 mph. I can't remember the fastest top speed at the old hockenheim but I'm guessing low to mid 220's.

10. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I read somewhere on some Ferrari website that Schumacher's F1 car has a top speed of 229mph. So he must have redlined that sucker to win!

11. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i was looking at the times and during the two races he did lose he was only 0.2sec behind. i thought the jet would have dusted him over the longer distances but it was close.

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The first race was 600m about 3/8 of a mile. the 900m race he lost by .2 and the 1200m b about 2.5 seconds

the thing to remember is that the plane has to produce thrust to overcome the friction of the tires and weight of the plane. An F1 car uses its power to drive it wheels using there friction to its advantage. that is what kept the race close for a bit. I would assume that the Eurofighter was about ready to break its landing gear in the longest of runs.

But in a 1/4 to 3/8 of a mile The F1 car will out accelerate a jet fighter from a dead stop

13. A4Blk98SS

A4Blk98SS Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    It said that he did .37 miles in 9.4 seconds, does anyone know what that car would run in the 1/4 miles? I know it's not built for straight line performance, but I'm still curious. Thanks.

P.S. If anyone knows the time, could you also please include the miles per hour.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I remember a commercial from back in late 1960's,or early 70's that showed some kind of car...I forget now...racing The "Green Monster" jet car,in a 1/4 mile. It was pretty funny.( as it was intended to be ) They got the green light and the "regular car" took off. Green Monster started up then got it's Flame going and went,but,too late. By that time,the "regular Car" had just passed the Finish line. Any other geezers out there remember that one?

15. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
  16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Too bad Shumi doesn't try racing an America jet. The F-22 has ~30k lbs more thrust than the Eurofighter which might change the outcome a bit.

17. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I think the quarter mile times are in the 7 - 8 second range. I have a Mclaren poster in my office. It has the quarter mile time and the 0-100-0 time. If no one posts by Monday, I shall.

But you must consider that the Ferrari is much faster than the McLaren!

18. A4Blk98SS

A4Blk98SS Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    I always thought they ran like high 7's, but based on his time, I'm not wondering if they don't run like high 6's/low 7's. Thanks for any information you guys have.