MOTHER NATURE'S CAR WASH | FerrariChat

MOTHER NATURE'S CAR WASH

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TOM B, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Okay, as you all know it snowed in New York last week. I drove in it . Unfortunately, New Jersey goes wild with the salt and by time I got to my office and back on Monday the Mondial had a nice layer of salt dried on it. Way too much for Speed Shine to deal with and it was too cold outside to use the hose. What to do ? It was embarassing. Then , it happpened. Torential rains Wednesday night through Thursday. It was wonderful ! I drove down to work and when I got there , the car was clean. To make it even sweeter, I drove through a creek that had overflowed its banks. SUV's were lined up , wondering if they should chance it. I passed them all and the Mondial dove right in like a happy puppy . The water sprayed higher than the roof of the Ferrari ! Some workers by the side of the road were laughing their asses off. Why was it sweet ? It cleaned the salt from the bottom of the car so I didn't have to do it with the hose. Isn't nature grand ?

Tom

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Tom,

That's awesome! I've taken the car out twice since it snowed but I've been lucky. It's been dry both times. :)

-Augustine

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I drove my car once about 90 miles in pouring rain. I went to the garage the next morning expecting to see a filthy car, and it was clean. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I love the rain, especially with a black car! When it snowed, I took the G500 off-roading and it got filthy. Two days later there was some serious downpour and the car is now clean :)

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Tom....that is a great story! A Ferrari in the rain is one thing, but to forge across a stream where sport-utes fear to tread is just too cool! Reading your post made me cheer out loud...my cats now think I'm nuts! Thank You for brightening up my day!

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Tom, i always look for those coin operated "you hose it" wash stalls in the winter, for that reason. The salt is scary, its so destructive, i wash the wheel wells, and underpanels repeatedly, even on my daily drivers.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tom, that is a truly awesome story... It's so cool to think that you drive your car, not only in rain, but in snow and through SUV-scaring streams of water...! Very awesome, i commend you...

8. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Thank you one and all for your support. :)

carguy, My cats, dog, rabbit, kids and wife all know i'm crazy. :)

DES, how's the modeling gig going ? :)

Tom

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!!!

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You still have salt in those impossible to reach door sills and on the underbody.

11. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Mitch,
    I realize that not all the salt was removed by my excursion through the flood waters. I plan on a thorough cleaning of the underside up-on-jackstands in the Spring. Same as i've done after each of the 3 Winters since i've had the car. It's not that I don't respect the car, it's just that I can't stand the thought of not driving it for 5 months. I enjoy it that much.

Tom

12. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Nice story Tom, thanks. I especially like it when people get their Ferrari out as often as possible and keep a good maintenance.

Wouldn't it be an idea of posting some pics of dirty Ferraris?? Could be fun though...

Joren

13. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    Tom, you are my hero. we got too so snow on the north fork that i couln't even get out of the garage for some pictures. Nice job.

14. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Joren,
    I'll see what I can do on those pictures of a dirty Ferrari. It's going to snow again on Sunday and I have to go the office Monday. It should be nice and dirty by Monday night. :(

Tom

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Didn't you get 3' or some ridiculous amount like that ?

Tom

16. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL F-CHATTERS : WE WANNA SEE DIRTY FERRARIS !!

17. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    not a ferrari story, but we took the Land Cruiser offroading one day in Waipio Valley, Hawaii. the thing got caked in mud. so to clean it off we parked on some rocks near the ocean. the waves were so big they'd hit the rocks and splash over the side. in just a couple of sets the truck was clean. we still had to spray the salt off when we got home, but it was fun sitting in it watching the water cover the truck.

18. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Good story. My experience has been that most sport ut drivers are woosies. There is a place that always floods on my way to work. I was driving my FIAT Spider @ the time drover through it just kind of hydroplaned across. A woman in a jacked up suburban figured she could take it with no problem. She made two mistakes, 1) not fast enough 2) steered through it. She nearly turned sideways, she ended up pulling off the road into a parking lot, no doubt to clean her seat.

I drove the Ferrari through the same flood last spring and found that it was heavy enough that it did not really hydroplane and kept contact with no issues. While SUVs were pulling way around it, off the road etc.