I am agonizing about my next car help | FerrariChat

I am agonizing about my next car help

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by s420merc, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    I went to the Aston Dealer today, DB7 not my cup of tea too much like the XKR jaguar, for more money.
    I see that the 355 and 360 service is pretty expensive because the engine needs to be removed for most things.
    Do the V 12 cars have the same service costs as the 355 or 360 since its a longt placed V12 i would think service should be a bit less in a 550 or a 456 GT. I am leaning that way more .
    What is the difference between the 456 and 456M model and can a 456M be found with a manual gear box. I read somthing about window seals on the early 456 cars can someone elaborate plz.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    It seems to be accepted that servicing a V12 is quite a bit pricier than servicing a V8. Even the newer models.

Check the archives for more answers to pretty much every question you've asked.

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Regular maintenance isn't bad on a 360. It's also not maintenance intensive if regularly driven. The front of the 360 engine can be accessed through a panel in the firewall. For most jobs, the engine stays in.

Forza ran an article about maintenance costs. It showed that the V12 cost more than the V8. A talk with my service manager confirmed that the V12 service cost more.

4. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    Just had a 30K major service done on a 550 for about $4K - which I believe is less than the major on the 355...

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I wouldn't choose an 8 vs. a 12 on the basis of cost of service. The 12's are not cheap to service. The 456 underwent a number of cosmetic and some suspension setting changes, and there was more that, which i'm sure somebody here can elaborate on.Even the price of M cars is in the toilet, but that still focuses only on cost of purchase issues.
    There is such a huge difference in the entire nature of the different cars you are discussing that its like asking Paris Hilton how she did on her math exam. Its not going to tell you much about what you ultimately like or dislike about the look and feel of the car, and the huge difference between the 12's and the 8's in terms of torque vs. nimbleness. Drive 'em first, see what you like, and then factor in the practical considerations.

6. Andersen

Andersen Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Europe
    Yes, the 465M GT is manual and M GTA is auto.
    Time must be about right to do a steal purchase on one of these underapreciated (value wise) cars now with the intro of the replacement model.

7. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I too would not recommend chosing a V8 vs a V12 over servicing costs.

V8s are quite reasonable except for the 4y/40'000km timing belt change, UNLESS you run into reliabilty problems which are not covered by warranty.
    Running costs are way higher on a V12, heavier cars, loads of torque, hard on tires, brakes and fuel. If you live outside of the US, fuel consumption is something to watch, a V12 will drink at an absolute minimum 20% more, and easily 50% more if driven in a committed way.
    Throw in higher insurance and taxes ...
    No doubt your V12 will cost much more to run & service than a V8.

However, these are such different cars that maintenance costs can't be a primary criterion for choice. You are talking about a totally different driving experience, both in terms of engine behaviour, handling, atmosphere.
    I have the chance to own a 355 and a 550, and I don't see an inch of redundancy between both cars.