Porsche Turbo: Is this a good deal? | FerrariChat

Porsche Turbo: Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by DropGems, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I'm looking at a 2002 Porsche Turbo x-50 with 15k miles, no other options on the car really, they're asking $95,000. I'm not too familar with the market but I thought it looked like a good buy. Do any Porsche guys here think this is a deal?

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Not a great deal. Not a ripoff either, though.

From what I know, although the x-50 package was a lot of $$ (like $30-40k) when new, it doesn't bring much premium over a regular P Turbo in the used market. The 02' P Turbo market is $80k-95k depending upon miles/options/condition/etc. 15k seems like a lot of miles compared to most of the 02's on the market here locally.

If you must have a x-50, go for it. If you can live without the x-50, I think you could find one with lower miles and perhaps some options for the same price and probably less. This deal seems to hinge on how important the x-50 is to you.

3. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    That is high miles for a 996. For a Boxster it would be okay, but not for a "911". Normal miles are between 3000-8000 a year. I have a 15 year old Carrera with 65k.

Price is a little high...997 is due out. However, Turbo's due hold their value better than NA rides. I would offer probably $88k and stop at $92 given the X-50 package...this of course after a PPI.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    996TTs will not hold their values well. they were grossly overproduced - in fact, so much that PAG isn't building any more coupes for MY 04 - just the cabriolets, which are apparently not moving as quickly (pun not intended) as expected (WAY too late in the model cycle, imo).

993TTs are holding decent value 'cuz they weren't overproduced.

in fact, a top-notch 993TTS probably goes for more than a 2001 996TT now (or damn near close).

it's a GREAT car, though, dude. and the X50 is purportedly super stuff (i just had a regular one). expect to get beaten up pretty good at retail and behave accordingly.

15K is real miles, but i wouldn't get too freaked out about it (as long as it's been serviced properly). i put ~10K or so (maybe more?) on mine in 18 months. it's definitely "daily driver" capable. i would have put a lot more miles on it if it was my only car too.

doody.

5. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    just a soso deal. i just bought an '03 and had several dealer friends searching far and wide for me (auctions, other dealers, trade-ins, etc...)

people will keep saying how 996TT values are going down down down but it's just not true, esp w/ the limited production for '04. there are a lot out there but there is a LOT more demand for a 996TT than a 993TT - not saying which is better, of course, just that the 996 appeals to the masses more. i personally know of 2 '02 TT's w/ 2k and 5k miles respectively that recently brought $96k and $93k from wholesalers (not some inflated trade-in number where the dealer was massaging the numbers).

w/ respect to your car, the x50, although a $17k option new is only worth about $5k aftermarket, at best. i would think that car w/o the x-50 is mid to upper 80's so tack on a few for the x-50 and there you have it.

of course, jmho :) good luck!

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    For that money, unless you are a torque monster, why not a GT-3? (BTW, i am a torque monster, and that's why i like the GT-2). Dunno about prices, but i can give you the name of a dealer friend who used to manage an authorized Ferrari shop and now manages a P-car dealership. One of the straightest guys in the biz, and he might be able to help, located nr. Phila.

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    That is an ok price. The resale on Turbos was in the toilet about a year ago, but it has rebounded a bit (along with other cars). As Doody stated, they produced too many 996TT causing resale prices to fall like a rock. Great car but I would go without the X50 and get an aftermarket chip, exhaust, etc instead. X50 is grossly overpriced for what you can get out of the car aftermarket.

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    violent agreement. sage advice. the package is way overpriced.

doody.