Ferrari (360) & Lambo (Murci) Question (friendly question, not a flame) | FerrariChat

Ferrari (360) & Lambo (Murci) Question (friendly question, not a flame)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Clax, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I currently own a 360 Spider, and have often thought that I would like to buy a Murcielago. Now that a number of Murcielago's have depreciated substantially, I am casually starting my search. However, here is my dilemma. I don't think that I can logically justify owning both cars. I only drive my 360 on the weekends, and I couldn't justify having 2 weekend cars to the tune of $400K++. I loooove the 360 Spider. Absolutely love it. BUT, the Murcielago is just a monster of a car. There are many differences to these cars, most strikingly the hardtop vs. convertible, V12 vs. V8, etc. Now I know that this is a Ferrari board, and I am a Ferrari fan to the bone. But, I was wondering if I could get some objective opinions from fellow F-Chatters. If it came down to owning only 1 of the Murcielago or 360 Spider, which car would you choose? I know, "just own both", right? That would be a great combo. But, I'm asking the question assuming that is not a practical option. So, let's hear the opinions! And, let's try to avoid a Lambo vs. Ferrari war in this thread, and try to offer some friendly info. Both are unquestionably great cars. Thanks.

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Depend on how you use the car. If you need the convertible, the spider would be the only choice. Don't care for sunshine and fresh air? Get the Murci and enjoy a different experience. Need a little cargo room for 2 on a weekend trip? The 360 has ample space.

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    clax, i often have the same thoughts! i currently have a 996TT and a 360 coupe and sometimes think, hmmm, i could trade both of these in for a murci, and even get some $$ back!! if there was an authorized dealer here in town, it would be hard to stay away from a murci. i saw one cruising around last weekend and it is absolutely beautiful, imo. every time i see one i gawk like it's the first exotic i've ever seen. i've never driven one so i can't comment on the "important" things but i would love to own one and see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

4. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    We have a 575 and a Murcielago. Our next door neighbors have a 355, 360 spider, 550 Maranello and a Murcielago. We drive our cars on a daily basis for the most part.

It is best to have both a rag and a hard top. The key is that you must get used to driving these cars every day and not worry about them. If they get wet it will not hurt them.

If you worry about the cars every time you go out then you will never enjoy them. Buy them, keep them, use them and live it up. You only live once.

aehaas

PS None of these cars are justifiable. Pull a Nike. Just do it. It is good for the economy.

5. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I agree. I'm not worried about the cars, but my profession does not allow me to drive that type of car on a daily basis. At best, I can use them during evenings and on weekends. When I do use the 360 on weekends, I don't worry about it much at all.

How do you like the Murci compared to the 360 Spider, and even the 550?

6. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    same boat here clax, except i have a modena. i have test drove the murci twice now. it's an awesome experience. i think it's time to make the change.

you can always sell the lambo and get another ferrari if u don't like it.

7. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Personally I would rather have the 575 or Murcie if I could only have one car. It is really 50-50. The Murcielago is slightly faster, gets more attension and is more exotic. It is faily easy to maintain.

The 575 is just as easy to maintain as a Toyota however. It is a little bit more roomy for my 6'2 frame and it is after all a Ferrari.

I could not decide so one of each was the answer.

aehaas

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'd drive a Murcie, once you do you will know which one YOU enjoy more. They are both great cars but they are different.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    note to self.... i need to work harder and move to florida!!!!!!

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Murci is a Supercar, the 360 is not. Magazines hale the Gallardo as being much more car than the 360, and the Gallardo pales in comparison to the Murci.

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  12. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I agree. I'm just wondering how much I would miss the convertible. The Murci is a supreme supercar beast.

Ideally, it would be best to have both. If I lived in Florida/Cali/Hawaii, I could possibly justify keeping both. But right now there is snow on the ground in my area, and having 2 weekend cars for 6 months out of the year would be a waste. Maybe I need to relocate to accomodate my cars. ;)

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Okay, I'll try this again :)

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    If I had to choose just one, it would be a Murci. Allan is right, the Murci is a supercar, the 360 is not(flame suit on). They are wildly different animals. You NEED to drive the Murci to make a decision.

Good luck!

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Wait for the Murci Targa, although I think it will run close to $300k. I personally prefer Closed Coupes with that kind of HP. But that is why we have choices.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I always find it hard to get rid of cars, i want to keep them all. Its a great feeling to go into the garage and say to yourself "hmmm which car should i drive today?". It hurts the pocket book though!

I have the same problem as you, i want a Murcielago, but i dont want to get rid of my SV or 355 .Hard to justify having three exotics on a tiny island.

17. Wickeddeus

Wickeddeus Karting

Nov 12, 2003

Kinda have to disagree with allan on this, the Murcielago has a higher top speed and can get to it faster but in a race I think the nimbleness of a Gallardo would let it win out. I think the Gallardo is better then the Murcielago and 360. The Gallardo weights in at 3146lbs/1430kg with a 48/52 weight distribution making 500 bhp (367 kW) at 7800 rpm and 510 Nm at 4500 rpm. The Murcielago weights in at 3630lbs/1650kg with a 48/52 weight distribution making 580 bhp at 7500 rpm and 650 Nm at 5400 rpm. Your giving a little bhp and a little more Nm but look at the difference in weight. The Gallardo is alot more nimble and would be a better driver's car. All of this ofcourse is IMO but either Lambos would beat the 360Spyder.

18. Wickeddeus

Wickeddeus Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Alot of people feel that the Murcielago is everything a Diablo SV is and more. I don't think I would have a second thought training an SV for a Murcielago, but thats me.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Murcielago has already posted a substantially faster time than the Gallardo around the Nurburgring and on Top Gears test track. The Murci is also substantially quicker.

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That may be so, but I feel they are 2 totally different cars, so it is my goal to have one of each. Another way of looking at things is that if you wait, and dont buy new, the amount of depreciation you save would basicly allow you to keep the other car, while trading it , will in the end be a complete loss.

21. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Nice problems you guys have. I have sat in both and have heard both. The murcie is incredibly quiet idling and moving away compared to the 360. They are both beautiful in the right color - all for 360 while orange or yellow for the lambo. To me the murcie's interior was so tight and spartan that it would be more of a weekend just drive for the sake of driving car while the 360 would be drive to the beach, club, etc. and enjoy the trip car. Top speed who cares, who will ever use it. How often do you go over 170. All that said, if you are someone who just moves from one car to another and don't live next to aehaas give it a shot.
    T

22. Wickeddeus

Wickeddeus Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, I can understand on the Nurburg since its a higher speed track. I don't remember the Murci's time on Top Gear though....does anyone haev the video? I believe the Gallardo did it in 1:25:0 flat in the wet.

Eitherway, my suggestion is to test drive these cars and pick the one you like for the look and feel, performance be damned(unless your a track junkie). Why? Because in all truth other then on the track the difference in performance in minimal on the road. Another thing is that 90% of the population can't pull these numbers that the pros get out of these cars anyway.

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Why not a late Diablo roadster?

24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    After driving them all, I prefer the Murcielago to the 360 but the Diablo 6.0 over all of them.

The 360 is a very nice car, fast and nimble. The Murcielago on the other hand feels more like an exotic. It feels wider and lower and more beastly. There is no dout when you are in it, you are in an exotic. My only compliant with the M, as with the 360, is that it feels too refined. The clutch feels like an Acura clutch and the steering doesn't feel that stiff. The Diablo 6.0 has none of that. You have a decently heavy clutch and firm, responsive steering. The engine lets you know the whole time that you are in an all out supercar. To me it's everything an exotic car should be. The only problem that I have is that I feel like my legs are rotated a tiny bit toward the middle of the car.

In a lot of ways, I feel that the Diablo 6.0 is the last Italian car from Lambo (although it has just enough Audi in it to make it reliable and usable) and the best car from Lambo in that it has enough old world rawness with an appropriate amount of new age civility. This trend of making exotic cars drive more like every day cars is not something that I like.

25. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So light, refined controls are inconsistent with an exotic? A bit Luddite, what? I, for one, appreciate light controls.

Gary