Is there a way to tell??????? | FerrariChat

Is there a way to tell???????

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Fly, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    I just bought a 96 F355 and was reading posts and finding out as much information as I can about these cars. I see that the 30k service is a very important issue with these cars. I bought my car at an auction and therefore am not sure if the 30k service has been done or not. The car has 27k miles and runs alomst perfect with the exception of the cracked manifolds which are on there way to me from QV London. How can I tell if the service has been done, is there something that can be checked or any other way to find out? Is replacing the spark plugs a good idea for me to do at this point? I can easily change them when the manifolds are going to be installed. Any information/advice is greatly appreciated.

F355Fly

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    While I have no knowledge of your car,
    I'll bet that if the car had cracked exhaust manifolds that were not fixed, I doubt that anything else has been done as well, including any of the services.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Without the documentation, and people to call to confirm it, I would assume nothing. The car is worth more at auction with the papers, so if they are missing, it was not done, plain and simple.

4. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    I too would assume nothing much has been done.
    Safest bet is to do a 30k Major.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    find out where the car came from then contact the dealer nearest to them - see if they will look up the vin, carfax will tell you where the car was registered. The ferrari system should be able to tell you services done

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No one would put a car up for auction and also do the 30k at 27k miles. By the way what is the going auction price?

7. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Before I reveal the price I paid for it I would like to know what people on this board may think I paid for it. It is a 96 Berlinetta w/ 27k miles, black interior in fair condition considering the year, no accidents, about 85% tires, no damage, runs strong. Checked out by a Ferrari dealer for any frame damage or any major accident and passed the inspection. What would you expect me to pay for something like this? The car does the manifolds and one motor mount as per the inspection at the Ferrari dealer.

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    broken motor mount as well?

11. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
  12. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    It doesn't matter what you paid for it, in the future that will never be an issue. The fact is you now have a great car and if you take care of it, it will always be worth at least what you paid for it or more.

Yes, the 30K service is expensive, and any "honest" Ferrari garage can tell if its been done yet, but if not and you have to pay for it - hey that's the price you have to pay for owning the damn thing.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I believe a car like that is worth around 60k, I also think that you likely paid around 72-75k, as auctions can be unpredictable and people can get a little carried away.

Regardless, as Donald said, the price isn't that big a deal. If you get the stuff fixed, and a major done, you'll have a car that will give you a great deal of driving pleasure. A few grand either way, ain't a big deal.

Now if something turns up during the major, because of the lack of documentation, and unknown history....then all bets are off. I certainly hope that is not the case.

14. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    60k Is what I paid for the car. Figure another $1600 or so for the manifolds and maybe a couple of hundred for the motor mount and I should have myself my dream car. I will have it looked at to determine if the major was done. Now I have another question for you, I found an after market warranty company that claims to cover the car from bumper to bumper with the exception of wear and tear for about $3k a year. The company is called Exotic Warranty Co. Has anyone ever heard or used this company before? can anyone tell me if that is a good idea? I would think it is as these cars are very expensive to repair. I thank everyone for thier help and advice and am glad to join this awesome forum. If anyone has any additional advice I am always greatful.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Add $5000 for the major service Plus what they find wrong in the engine bay. As long as the engine is out of the car, have them look at the clutch and slave cylinder, and replace much of the rubber hoses and things that are not accessible in the engine bay with the engine in place. Don't forget to change all the fluids, check brake rotors and pads, and rebalance the tires.

I have not heard of them, I doubt that they will actually cover the kinds of things that actually might go wrong.

Ferraris are expensive to 'operate', and even more expensive NOT to operate. Considering Major service every 5 years of 30K miles, the minimum cost of ownership is $0.40 per mile. And if you don't drive it much, it can be as high as $1.50 per mile.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would agree with Mitch and not trust the paper those warrantees are printed on....a LOT of fraud in that. Unless someone can confirm a claim with them (you could check other boards or do a "google search"), I would put the $3k in the bank as an "emergency fund" for the car.

17. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    F355Fly - I would do a little homework before spending $7,000+ on a major (plus ancillary items).

First, there is likely a way to determine from FNA where the car was originally sold. In that state, there is likely a limited number of mechanics or dealers that would work on the car. Start with what you know, and trace the history of the car. CarFax (sp) might supply some pertinant information with regard to where, when and who did service.

Finally, a small investment in a private investigators time might provide Department of Motor Vehicles information concerning previous registration, etc. Sounds like overkill, but spend a few hundred to save a few thousand.

This raises an interesting business opportunity. If all mechanics who work on Ferraris documented the VIN, model, owner and date in an on-line database, then over a period of years all F-cars would have a history available for future owners.

Jim S.

18. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
  19. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    F355Fly

If you are having the manifolds done (about 8 hours as the dry sump tank has to come out to do the r/h one) and you find the service hasn't, have them done at the same time, it'll save you some money!

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
  21. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    I have done some research and found service records for the car up to 10k miles. This week I plan to do more research and hopefully find more service records as it will possibly save me a good five grand. I thank you all for the advise and hope to be able to repay some day.

22. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Yes, and then that 5 grand could save you 20 grand.

23. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Mitch is right on the money.

Re: Exotic....send me a PM

Rgds
    Frank