Snowbound idiots!!! | FerrariChat

Snowbound idiots!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Horsefly, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    OK, it's Friday and rather slow on F-chat, so here's an ongoing beef of mine. Why is it that when the local weather forecasts a snowstorm, every idiot that can drive, walk, or crawl to the local grocery store will attempt to stock up on food like the Great Ice Age of the Millenium is on it's way? People who normally wouldn't eat a loaf of bread or drink a gallon of milk within a week's time will suddenly feel the need to buy 3 or 4 loaves of bread and several gallons of milk as well as anything else that will fit inside a grocery cart?

In the past 15 or 20 years of modern urban America, has anybody REALLY had to survive for more than 48 hours without a fresh stockpile of groceries due to inclimate weather? Down here in Arkansas, there hasn't been one time in 30 years or more than a person couldn't get to the grocery store within a day or two due to bad weather. These idiots act like 1 inch of snow will isolate them inside an icy tomb for weeks at a time, so they strip the store shelves of edibles like a hyena gnawing on a wildebeast carcass.

2. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    LOL, I never noticed that!

Some people are willing to take a chance (of waste money or whatever they are stocking up) for the feeling of security. Remember Y2K?

Boy scout taught us "always be prepared". Personally, I don't go out in the snow or rain unless I must. I don't want to get in an accident!

3. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I've noticed that too, lol.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hey...stock up! You just never know when the "Big one" is gonna hit!

This public service message was sponsored by the Arkansas Dairy and Wheat Farmer's Organization.

DL

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

LMAO!!:)

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    LMAO I second DES' comments on the Y2k idiots :)

Darth, regarding the big one, Ill bet you my Ferrari (if I have one by then) that the big earthquake will hit LA in 2009. Im moving out of here :)

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You're on!

DL

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I saw this (again) just before last weekend's storm in "metro-west" Massachusetts.

Supplies get pretty thin at the best of times around here ... although I'm not sure you'd call this "modern urban America", by the standards of places with more than one or two truck routes suppling it.

Which is what was funny about last weekend: The storm came in from the west, along the routes the supply trucks take. So by Friday before the storm hit here, all the stores were already out of everything.

These kinds of "runs" are when the local markets lay out all the sour milk, stale bread, and all the other junk nobody would normally buy.

Compare the scene from the film "Ice Age", where the Dodos are preparing for "a million million years" of underground living -- with three melons. :p

9. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    It happens here in the Tennessee hills also. I've never seen the roads impassable for more than 2-3 days either. I think the supermarkets slip the weathercasters a $20 to mention a 10% chance of flurries.

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Fortunatly here in the Phx area we dont have to worry about snow days, but like DEs was saying about Y2K was 100% true. The motorcycle shop that i worked at, we were swamped with generator tuneups by the ton a couple of days before new year that we had to turn away customers because we could not insure them that we would be able to look at the unit before the holiday.

In fact we had so many generators to test out that we started to run the shop on the customers units. In situations like this the only people that profit from it are the stores. In improved cash flow by not having company funds tied up in inventory.