328 specialty tool | FerrariChat

328 specialty tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am changing my oil lines on my 328 block to use remote dual filters. When I did this on my old 308 4v motor the thread where the oil comes OUT of the block was 22mmx1.5 ( I have the tap and die if anyone needs them).

NOW on the 328 the hole is much bigger and the threads are not in any book I can find. My best guess from measurements is 26mm x 1.5.

This is the kicker--there is no DIE available from any source I can locate for this die. The Tap is available, but is 50.00.

anyone have the tap I can borrow? anyone have the die?

Thanx Charles

PS--if you want to switch to remote dual filters on your 308 I have a nice custom -12 to 22x1.5 fitting that I can sell you.

2. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Got that problem solved --- now for next one.

Spark plugs on 328's are smaller than those on 308's.

on 308's I had an awesome spark plug socket from a Porsche 911 that was flexable and would slide into the front bank holes easily. It really made life easy.

Now on 328 I need something similar--anyone have a suggestion?

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I usually use the tool in the factory kit (I would imagine you could order it from Ferrari UK)...it has a knuckle on it. Why not just get the correct socket, then use a knuckle adapter, then the extension...wouldn't that achieve the same thing?

I've done that in the past, and it worked okay....though occaisionally the socket would come unhooked from the knuckle adapter and would take a couple tries to recover it from the well.

You might also check motorcycle parts websites, as that is the same size plug as a motorcycle, and they may have some nice specialty tools with a swivel joint (that is permanently attached) and a t-handle. I have one like that from USAG, but for the standard 13/16th (20.8mm).

Okay, did a little surfing, and www.clubplug.net has some tools at this link: http://www.clubplug.net/tools.html The 5/8 swivel socket might do the trick.

They also have great prices on plugs too, if you didn't know already.

4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I puzzled over the plugs when I got my 328, I had never seen that plug size before, I couldn't easily find a deep socket, then the knuckle may not be in the right place, so I bought the tool from Ferrari UK. It works OK but is a bit expensive. However, when I tried to order new plugs I found that the Champion ones in the manual have been superceded by a new number, so I got those. And would you belive it, they have gone back to the standard 16mm wrench size. So if you are going to buy new plugs anyway, the Champions will fit your wrench and you can avoid paying for the special one. I bought plugs from sparkplugs.com they have a very good selection.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, now I am a bit confused...the plugs I have now are 16mm (5/8"). Are you saying the factory original plug (which the tool kit includes) is even smaller in diameter?

I guess I better take out the tool kit and compare the factory tool, spare plug and a 16mm plug wrench and figure all this out...Friggen' Ferrari! :)

6. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul

Yes Dave the original Champion spec plugs with the small electrode use a smaller size hex, I don't know about the alternate brands though.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Sorry, Dave, I couldn't let this go - while you are looking for the tool kit, what color is the underside of your bonnet? All in good fun, have a great weekend.

8. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I use NGK's on my 3.2 Mondial and they're 18 mm. I found an 18mm sparkplug socket at SEARS for $3.50.

Tom

9. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have a set of Bosch standard plugs but just picked up a set of NGK irridium (6681) plugs to try--- both sets are 18mm.

I am having a hard time finding an 18mm spark plug socket ( the ones with rubber in them to hold the plug in place). getting the plugs into car is easy--slide top of plug into a tight fitting rubber tube and use the tube to start it into the hole , remove and apply socket.. but removing them from head when taking them out is a pain---really need the specialty socket.

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I got mine from AutoZone. ... which is a bit odd, as they don't carry plugs for this car, but they have the right size socket.

11. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    In Europe, standard plug size is 20.8 mm (approx 13/16").
    16 mm is normally used in mopeds and lawnmowers
    18 mm is sort of non standard - I've only seen them on my 328
    and therefore the tool can be a little difficult to find.

12. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    well I decided to make one--took the rubber insert from a 5/8 unit and silicone glued the snot out of it into a standard 18mm socket and then welded a knuckle and 2" extension to it.
    jeeezzz--what a pain.