Speed Channel heard my cry. | FerrariChat

Speed Channel heard my cry.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ernie, Dec 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I just wanna say that I'm am so glad to see Speed channel has finally started airing more than just NASCAR all the time. Last year I posted the "Speed channel sucks" thread , because I was so iritated with their programing over kill of nascar related shows. But Speed channel heard my cry. In the last few months I have seen them return to some of thier old programing. Tonight was a real treat, they had the Japanese Touring Car Championship on. Sundays has had plenty of good stuff on. They have been airing offshore power boats, Off Road truck racing, even swamp sprint boats, which are insane. Lets see there has also been Autralian V8 Supercars, German and European Touring Cars, Hydroplane racing, and even Go Karts. Nice job Speed Channel, please keep it up.

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Might just be that the championship is over. I would not count on them being so wonderful once the NASCAR season resumes

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Yeah, I think this has to do with the fact that the NASCAR season has ended more then the FOX execs changing their mind about programming. But heck, I am not complaining, these shows are why I pay the extra money for Speed. I especially like the Vicotry by Design, and DTM touring car races. One good note, it apeears Speed has secured F1 for the next couple of seasons so no more waiting until a week before Austrailia to find out what channel we have to be in front of at 3am!!

4. Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano Karting

May 22, 2002
    The truth of the matter is that without the NASCAR programming, they would not have had the subscribers necessary to justify airing all the other programming they do. Remember when they showed the 24 Hours of Le Mans in its entirety? The overnight Nielsen rating was 0.

Zero.

For programming that they had to fly to France to set up, get equipment over there, fly the commentators, the cameramen, the producers, researchers, editors, in-car cameras, etc. to boadcast a live program that gets less viewers than an infomercial. Meanwhile, repeats of a Winston Cup race get better ratings than most other first-run races shown on SPEED including CART, Trans-Am and SPEED World Challenge races.

I like NASCAR, despite the common body templates, aversion to road courses, goofy points system and restrictor-plate madness. But even the the NASCAR block on SPEED on weeknights is a bit excessive. I often wish SPEED was back to where it was a few years ago when they showed the 24 Hours of Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans and Le Petit Le Mans in it's entirety, the Valvoline Run-Offs were shown live and the SPEED World Challenge was shot on film with more in-car cameras. But I am realistic enough to realize that NASCAR programming pays the bills and that Fox needs to find a return on it's investment for both SPEED Channel and their half of the NASCAR season.

At least they are kind enough to fill the off-season with BTCC, ETCC, All-Japan GT Championship and British GT Championship racing as well as the Aussie V8 Supercars. This almost makes the off-season as appealing as the regular season on SPEED!

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    It is just filler programming. As soon as the NECKCAR season gets under way it will be back to the redneck programming schedule.

Enjoy it while you can.