Anyone using Champion RA6HG plugs in a 328? | FerrariChat

Anyone using Champion RA6HG plugs in a 328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Dec 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I got my 328 it had Champion A6G plugs installed, these are the correct spec. plugs called out in the Ferrari manaul, they have the uncommon 18mm size hex and the small diameter wire electrode. When I tried to buy new ones I found that they have been superceded by RA6HC part number whch has standard diameter electrode but short insulator ( presumably to give similar performance) they have also gone back to the more standard 16mm hex by the way. However, I am just about to install them and see that although the thread length is the same, the working bits on the end cause the overall immersion length to be about 0.060 inch longer. So I was wondering has anyone been using these plugs ? I presume there is enough clearance, but I'd rather be safe and ask here before I use them.

2. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    we should start a spreadsheet of plugs for various cars and get rob to post it in the service area.

FOR 328--I have these
    Bosch XR4-CS-standard plug
    NGK DR8-EIX irridium plug

FOR 308 4v
    NGK BP5-ES HOT
    NGK BP6-ES Standard
    NGK BP7-ES Cool ( for hi voltage systems)

3. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Champions are the poorest quality plug out there.

They used to be good, but every vehicle I have seen them in the plugs are severely pitted and corroded with pieces of electrode missing which had to have been pushed out by the pistons and valves, do your car a favor and get NGKs

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I recommend the NGK's also. They are not only a great plug, they have the 18mm hex also!

5. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmmm.... I have driven how don't know how many thousand miles over the past thirty years, and never had a failed plug using Champions, or any other brand come to that, I would suspect that all plugs are pretty much the same from the reliability point of view. The only question I have is does the extra 1/16 inch (1.5mm) length make a difference, of course I don't have another brand plug to compare length, just old part number versus new part number.

6. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I tried champions and threw them away--go get some NGK plugs and you will be a lot happier