gasing up | FerrariChat

gasing up

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by detailman, Dec 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    Do you ever feel like a "sitting duck" at the gas station? or do you try to visit the gas station at less bussy times to avoid to much attention.I used to be a bit uptight when people would crowd me places I stopped now it dosen't bother me,but when filling up there seems to be more of a crowd.

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I know exactly what you mean, but consider it part of exotic car ownership. It's at times like this that we have a golden opportunity to dispel the belief that all Ferrari owners are arrogant boneheads. Consider it a responsibility of sorts.

When you think about it, a few minutes of attention while you gas up is a small price to pay for driving a Ferrari.

Tom

3. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    i dont care a bit. i drive where i want when i want and nothing will stop me. if someone wants to stop and talk thats ok if not thays fine too.

4. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I will always talk to people at the gass station, but I can not belive how many people ask my how much $$. I hate it when that is their fist question. At first I would not tell them and simply say, you can ask me any questions but I will not answer that one. But now I am starting to think I should just tell them and get it over with, thoughts.

Rob

5. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I usually never tell anyone how much my car costs. When I do, the response is usually, "you paid $80k for a big black box? LOL." :(

Just say you won it in a raffle

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    Or just say it one day instead of you mini you found this in your garage, so you don't know what it cost

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Keep in mind there are car enthusiasts and there are expensive-stuff enthusiasts. The latter couldn't care less that it can lap the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes... they just care that it costs as much as a small house meaning that you might be a millionaire. Hence, the question. (I've even had some get to the point, "Wow. Are you a millionaire?")

My answer is usually: "Its not how much it costs... its how much it depreciates... and this is depreciating less than all those fat SUVs on the road."

Its an arguable point, of course... but most will be unable to respond to that... and thus the conversation turns away from $$$. Either turning to the woes of SUV-mania or the joys of sportscars.

If not, then they are definitely money-enthusiasts... so, you can re-direct... "Tell me, how much would you pay for it?" and then "But it has XXX hp and YYY specs and aluminum construction and ... " And so on.

Have fun with them and keep the conversation positive... I've never let the $$ question corner me into either answering (if I didn't want to) or feeling uncomfortably trapped.

Hope that helps,

Brian

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Last night while gassing up, a guy (who looked high as hell!) shouted out 'Hey a Ferrari. F*cking-A right, man!" I gave him a thumbs up and a smile and said thanks. He seemed to appreciate the fact that I didn't just blow him off in a rude manner. I have no problem with the gas station encounters as long as they are positive. :)

9. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    I dont own a Ferrari, but, a few years ago i worked as a lot tech for a Ferrari dealership. I would always get people around the car when i was gassing up or getting auto emissions done. It kinda bothered me at first, i wasnt used to that kinda of attention from a car. Being 21 yearls old at the time they would ask how did you get that car at your age, lol. But it was nothing but nice people just asking questions about the car.

10. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    The tough part about filling the car is tryinig to act cool when the pump stops every five seconds and you have to try different angles.:)

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Zan,

LOL! :)

12. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I usually reply to the cost question-"I don't know,the bank owns it"

13. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Last time I was at the station, I recieved a rather strange remark from someone as I was walking by: "I bet that thing can't even burn rubber!"

I resisted the urge to say. "But I bet that POS truck you are driving can!"
    -I just shook my head, smiled, and drove away...

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Gabriel,

I am curious as to what kind of car you have now considering that just about every car on the road can "burn rubber"

15. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Hey John.
    Yes, that's what made it seem like a strange comment, although in retrospect, I think he was just looking for a way to denigrate her.

- I drive an 86 TR.

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Gabriel,

86 TR and you get that kind of heckling?!? Amazing that someone would want to put down such a classic icon of a car.

Maybe you could have responded with "Yes, and it also burns gas!"