355-wicked fishtails... | FerrariChat

355-wicked fishtails...

Discussion in '348/355' started by benedict, Dec 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Whenever I leave my local hand car wash, I mark my departure with a wicked fishtail right across the highway. I have almost racked up the car three times like this. Does this happen to others? Anthing I can do other than sit there and wait for the car to fully dry?

Ben

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You didn't learn after the first two times? :)

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Two options.

1) Wash it yourself.

2) Go to a Good Driving School, like Bonduarant or Jim Russell.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Let's see....freshly washed car with wet tires + asphalt (probably also wet from water dripping off of other cars) + full throttle = spin. Do you REALLY wonder why you fishtail???

"Anthing I can do other than sit there and wait for the car to fully dry?"
    Yeah - DON'T FLOOR IT WITH WET TIRES!!!! :)

5. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    I would stay harder on the throttle and keep it sideways for a block or so...

6. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I think this is caused by soap residue left on the tires making it very slippery... I've had the same problem with traction coming out of car washes as well...

7. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
  8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH

What ever happened to driving with care? Don't let your luck run out & cost someone elses their life, if not your own.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    This has to be the dumbest question i have ever heard on Fchat.

10. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Can we start a new section..or should I say dumb ass award. This question gets my vote.

Maybe this guy should figure out why his car starts when he turns the key??????

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    instead of sitting there , countersteer and enjoy it.

12. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Agreed. Proof that intelligence isn't required to own a Ferrari...

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hey guys, can you help me out? Everytime i get into one of my cars, i seem to go over 100mph and this gets me in trouble with the police! What should i do?

14. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Bwhahahaha!!! LOL, Allan.

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    F*cK it, If you have gone that far, might as well go for broke. Do you remember the first chase scene from the sci fi movie, The Hidden?

16. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

BEN,
    IF I'VE TOLD YOU ONCE , I'VE TOLD YOU A HUNDRED TIMES. DO NOT PUT TIRE DRESSING ON THE TIRE TREAD !!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh.

Tom

17. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Every damn time I hit myself in the face with a shovel, it hurts. What can I do?

18. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    maybe I should have mentioned that the car wash is off a major highway
    which requires immediate acceleration to enter the flow of traffic. What would have been helpful is some tips on achieving greater traction (maybe utilizing sport mode, etc) from the so called 'brotherhood" of Ferrari guys. Sorry to waste your oh so important time with such a silly question. You can now go back to ogling the photos of large breasted women before you were so rudely interrupted by my imbecilic question. Thank you Kenny for the only decent response in the entire thread.

Ben

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Assuming the original question was not a troll:

It is obvious that you have not mastered the 'feel' of the throttle. If you had, you could hold the tail 3 feet off line, countersteer, and find the balance point where the throttle induced oversteer is equally balanced with the coutersteer of the steeringwheel.

I suggest signing up for a high performance driving school--and soon before you bend the car.

20. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Let me add one more thing. I have been going to the same car wash for 23 years with all manner of automobiles, including several different Porsches. I've probably pulled out on this entrance ramp several thousand times.The 355 is the ONLY car I've ever had this problem with, so the issue has nothing to do with my driving ability nor my intelligence but EVERYTHING to do with the compromised traction of the 355. I would think that alone would make it an issue worthy of a question/discussion on this forum. Again, sorry for wasting your time.

21. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I appreciate that. That is an answer I can live with. I have no problem with constructive criticism. Thank you very much.

22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Allan where have you been lately? I haven't seen too many posts from you. Ben, a good driving course would probably help quite a bit. Finally what exactly is a TROLL? I always see it here, it is not the character from Children's Books is it?

23. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Nice to meet you. I'm relatively new to the forum. This is my first Ferrari
    and I've only owned it a few months. Still getting a feel for the car particularly under different road conditions.

24. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If you can't enjoy some tail wagging, next time tell them not to Armor-All the tires :)

25. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ben

Apart from my TR, I also have a P 930 Turbo and what you have described is typical of this car, lots of weight in the rear and not too well balanced elsewhere (not to say that the 360 is exactly the same).
    I found it is always good, (especially if the car is new to you and is high powered) to either get some track time or I prefer finding a large flat car park on a wet day where you can check out the cars and your limitations. In a few hours you can learn a lot about a car. Otherwise, a good advanced driving school might be useful and fun.

Steve