Best WAX for cold weather? | FerrariChat

Best WAX for cold weather?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nart2222, Dec 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nart2222

nart2222 Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Hi,

I'm going to wax my Ferrari and want to know what the best recc. product is?

2. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
  3. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Same here, *if* you're going to use a wax. I personally favor a polymer like Finish First or Zaino Brothers. See the "Concours & Detailing Tips" series in the FCA Monthly News Bulletin. I'll never go back to waxing the Ferrari!

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you are going to use a wax and it has to be availabele at the local car parts store;

You should know that Mothers wax is a lot harder than Maguires; It doesn't shine as well, but its a lot harder.

Your milage may vary.

5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    This is not a simple answer. It depends on what you want out of the wax. Cold weather will not effect a wax once it is bonded to your paint. Only the application part is effected when cold (harder to apply).

If you want more protection and a glossy shine I would reccomend a sealent such as Zaino, Crystal Guard, Klasse, etc. On the other hand, if you want a extreme depth of shine and deeper color you should be using a carnuaba based product such as Meguiars, P21S, Zymol, Pinnacle, etc. Choose a yellow carnuaba wax for more protection and a white carnuaba wax for superior shine. Hope this helps.

6. nart2222

nart2222 Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    {Choose a yellow carnuaba wax for more protection and a white carnuaba wax for superior shine. Hope this helps.)

Thank You!

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GO AWAY GREEN................

8. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Carnuaba paste wax will last the longest and give the best protection. If it is in liquid form and easy to put on and easy to remove it may look good when your finished but it won't last.

I owned two auto detail shops and used to do the protection packages for the local Ford, Chevy and Volkswagen dealers for 6 years. They would tell their customers that they were purchasing a lifetime shine package but in reality 20 automatic car washes later and it's gone!

I am a big Meguiars fan. If you just want protection try their carnuaba paste.

DrewH

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    For winter? Are you referring to temp or road conditions?

Temp will not impact a wax...for protection (salt) any polymer will outlast a carnuaba.

Typically, carnuaba gives a deep shine and is favored by many at shows, especially on dark colored cars . However, carnuaba will wash off in about 4-6 car washes

Polymer's are more "reflective" in their shine characteristics, however can last 6 months.

You can try to get the best of both worlds as some polymer's are compatible with carnuaba. For instance, last month I used Klasse (polymer) and topped it with a carnuaba (P21-S).