Anyone know a good place to get an engagement ring? | FerrariChat

Anyone know a good place to get an engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by netviper, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am now looking phase and there are just so many places! I went to the mall and looked at the chain stores (zales etc) and was not impressed. I also see a couple of places online (bluenile.com)

I am looking between .81 and 1 carat and a platinum band.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Dave

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I would be a little skeptical about buying one over the internet. A diamond ring is something that you want to see and hold before you buy - especially when it's for an occasion like this. Many of the mall chain stores will have basically the same stuff and high markups. Ask some people in your area for reccomendations. Visit gia.com to learn about diamonds so you know what you are looking for when someone presents a ring to you.

And most of all, congratulations :)

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
  4. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    One of my clients, Jeff Faldalen, builds custom diamond jewelry. He has some items on the website and many more that will be put up soon (I can point you to the images of the new items if you drop me a line at [email protected]). Take a look and also contact him directly if you'd like to talk about something custom (or have him do something like what you seen in the chain stores but with better quality and for a better price). Buying online or not in person may seem strange but he's a member of the JVC and has a great reputation. There is also some information on diamonds in general on his website.

http://www.difadiamondjewelry.com

-Slim

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I guess I'm lucky, I have 2 good friends in the diamond business. That makes it much easier!

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JIM

IM LUCKY TOO

I HAVE 2 GREAT FRIENDS IN THE GARBAGE/PRIVATE SANITATION BUSINESS.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I just went through this process last feb/mar. It can either be a good experience or a bad one. I went to some places (malls/chain stores/and the like) and had bad experiences. I ended up at a place run by one guy and his wife... a custom jewler. The best move you could ever make!
    Places like the mall stores and chains seemed reluctant to show me unset stones...why"? Because it's harder to tell the true color/clarity of the stone once it's set.
    The best thing you could do is go to a broker/custom guy. He'll be more than willing to sit down with you and show you unset stones and then you can make your choice based on the stone not the ring. Not only that but what you'll find is that people like that will actually be less expensive than a cahin store. I can't stress enough that that is the way to go. The stone is the most important thing....get a stone and then a ring. You'll be able to see exactly what you are getting and know you are getting what you pay for.
    If there are any areas to comprimise on it's the clarity. Almost every stone in included (flawed). Get the best color you can afford with resonable clarity (no lower than SI1).
    Get 1. carat or larger so you can get the certification. Get insurance the minute you have the stone (thus the certification... it will help with that)
    Something that really was enjoyable for my wife and I was picking out the wedding rings. Don't take the chance that you'll be able to pick out the kind of ring she'll want to wear for the rest of her life (too much presure)! What I'm getting at is buy a stone and set it in a simple/classic tiffany white gold setting (cost less that $200). Once she say yes and you know you guys are definetly getting married take the simple setting you bought and take her to pick out what he wants (after all it's her ring). That's the time to chose the final setting/material and such. My wife and I added two more stones to the original and had a custom made setting. Having her a part of the process was great and then you are sure you know that she has what she wants.
    You're job is to buy the stone! Get the best you can afford and then let your future wife decide on the setting and stuff later. This is something she will wear for the rest of her life... she needs to be a part of the process,
    I'd never buy over the net! This is something you do once and do right. Buy in person from a guy you trust and can go back to if there are any problems. Diamonds are a racket I know but what else can you do. Like I said before, buy the best stone you can and set it in a simple setting and then take her to get what she wants. That's the best way to make it a great experience for both of you.
    Good luck!

9. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    This has come up every so often in the past, a search will provide some good info. My suggestion, design the ring and buy the rock separate. Figure out what size and shape, the 4 C's, etc. I had a great experience dealing with Anne & Denny at Diamond Source of Virginia.

Best of luck,
    ~C

10. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Asprey. If you can get to the New York store, contact George Shoulders, one of the jewellers there.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Make friends with a jewler, possibly a single person jewlry shop.

Then state you intentions, and set up a time where you can view diamonds of the appropriate size and cost. Have him/her obtain a number of stones and select the best three. Then every other day or so, go back and view another collection and the original three. once again, select the best three, and repeat until the proper stone falls through the mix. In my case it took 13 viewings!

Then and only then, look into bands and stone holders.

Enjoy the process, you will learn a lot, a lot more than at the 'one stop services all diamond needs' shops. In my case, I got a $12K diamond at $8K and the band was thrown in for free. It immediately was reapraised at $15K at the insurance agent.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Pawn Shop Wedding Rings"

by The Derailers

Give it a spin. Good Luck and congrats, from Texas!

13. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    what is your budget...depending on that, I went and bought mine at Cartier and was very impressed with the service. There is also Tiffany's, Bachendorfs. A friend of mine bought his off of bluenile.com, but I was not comfortable about purchasing on-line. Hope this helps.

Mine was colorless, Vs1, about a carat and GIA certified-platinum ring with a star-burst diamond.-married in August.

Good luck.

14. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Dave,
    I have a guy in Dallas that works for Bachendorf's "referral-only" customers and he does an excellent job. I bought my wife's engagement ring there and it was similar to what you are wanting. They do wholesale, so there is a good discount on the merchandise as well. If you don't mind coming to Dallas to look, then this guy is a good bet.

Let me know and I can put you in touch with him.

Ken