87TR Engine Removal | FerrariChat

87TR Engine Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 2mmuch, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #1 2mmuch, Dec 14, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Seeing what Jeff Green did and removed his own engine for the first time I thought I would try the same. You see my water pump has been leaking for awhile and its time to dig in and rebuild it. At the same time I also plan on doing my belts and tension bearings. My car had no history when I bought it so I though of checking it all out for myself. I would like to thank both Jeff and HenryK for all the help they have povided me with. Here is a quick picture of the the car with the engine I pulled out this morning and turned around. It can really get your heart pumping when all you have is a couple of hyd. jacks to bring the car up and down. Boy this engine could use a good cleaning. I will post more pictures up later as I get deeper into the water pump rebuild.

Thanks

Lou
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow....you should be very proud of your work. It is a daunting task pulling all that aluminum out of there! Great Job! And as for answering your questions....you are very welcome! I'm glad to help if I can. It does me good to see another TR owner digging in like this. It is incredibly satisfying to do the service yourself. Way-to-Go!

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Hi 2mmuch: While Jeff is already done with his engine, I am still working on mine..........very slowly........I'm in no hurry. I just completed cleaning the wiring harness tonight.......will put it in next week.

I did a LOT more than is required of the major service. I even separated the block from the trans, in order to get a good perspective of the water pump......hope that you don't have to do the same.

I am awaiting parts (shims), to complete my valve adjustments.

Good luck with the project.

If you need any help, then just ask.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Awesome work. This is great to see. The best part is that you know for a fact what was done to the car, and you don't get ripped off for service. Now that you have taken it out, do you think that the dealers can justify what they charge for the service?

5. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Wow!

How did you get the TR up that high with just jacks? I assume those are stands holding up the TR.

Also, is that a custom dolly under the engine, or did you make do with one that you bought? -g

6. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Gabriel

Yes I used two Michelin 3 1/2 ton Hyd. Jacks. Placed them just behind the doors. They can lift up to 22 inches, which is just enough. I made the dolly to the height I would need to clear the frame with the engine based on the height I could raise the car. The front end wheels are on a couple of car ramps and there is a jack stand on each side of the car at the back. Just in front of the frame seperation part.

Lou

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    When I pulled my motor I used a heavy duty transmission jack to lower the motor. For clearance to roll the motor out of the back, I used a floor jack and lowered the nose of the car to within about an inch of the floor, this then tilted the rear upwards. I think I needed about 42 inches of vertical clearance to the rear cross brace to get the engine out on the tranny jack. I used 4 3-ton jackstands. It is a "tense" few minutes, pulling the motor by yourself. Not for the faint of heart.

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    How do you guys know everything that needs to be removed? Does the WSM manual help out or give a decent step by step? Thanks.

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Actually the workshop manual is pretty helpful on TR engine removal, better than usual I must say. Henry was kind enough to provide me with the engine-removal section as it was not in my manual....cuz I bought a cheapie reprint. There are ways to keep things organized so you don't have to have a good memory. Some tips are:
    1. Take a pic or two each step of the way to document things.
    2. Keep nuts & bolts in baggies and tag them as to their purpose.
    3. When possible keep nuts & bolts with their respective parts.
    4. Label all wires and hoses before removal - be specific.
    5. keep parts together when possible, like air cleaner assembly, etc.
    6. Clean everything up, it's nicer to work with clean parts than dirty.
    7. Go slow, and DON"T go on to the next step until your ready.
    8. When frustrated, go for a little walk or do something distracting.
    9. If you don't have the right tool for the job, buy or borrow one.
    10. Use your head....this is most important. The consequences of messing up aren't like working on a Chevy...you can really get in over your head financially if you screw up a major part. Consult FerrariChat for any questions or advice....that is how I got through it. Without the help of the good people here I would have been totally lost. Really can't put a value on this website...it's priceless.

10. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks. That is great. I will have to find a copy of the engine removal section. Sounds like it is helpful. I agree you have to be very careful about working on them. Thanks Again.

11. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I would like to add this. A copy of the parts manual is also very helpful. The brack out sections will help you locate some of the hose and stuff, also show you how they come apart.