Wow! Gorgeous vintage F-car in B.H. | FerrariChat

Wow! Gorgeous vintage F-car in B.H.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Entelechy, Dec 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    #1 Entelechy, Dec 13, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,

My wife and I were running errands...she was driving and talking on the phone when we passed one of the most stunning vintage Ferrari's I've ever seen. I'm still learning to identify more of the vintage models, and even looked through my Brian Laban Ferrari book, and it wasn't in there. It looked like an ex-racer in gorgeous silver with white circles on the doors and accents (I know it sounds a little odd, but trust me it was stunning). The driver was on the right, in a cut-out, no passenger seat, and of course - open cockpit.

I recognized the driver, I believe, as the guy who heads the Petersen Auto Museum (no surprise), from an article I read in a watch magazine last year.

I hunted around for a photo to find out what the model was and couldn't find anything but this possibility - I'm pretty sure it was this below:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    250 testarosa, I think. that's so awesome that you have seen one

3. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    that's what I thought too, in looking around online, but wasn't sure because the ones I saw had a passenger seat...perhaps this is the racing version?

4. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    #4 Entelechy, Dec 13, 2003
    Damn, I was wrong, it's not the above. I looked on Exoticar and it looked more like these, but can't find a decent photo:

The one on top:

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #5 wax, Dec 13, 2003
    You dawg! That's a good way to start a weekend.

*cough* (off-topic) How's Big Fish doing in it's NY-LA limited release? *ahem*

Could it have been this one?

6. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    #6 Entelechy, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Oh, hey Thomas! I have no idea...we missed the screening, so we were going to try and see it today, but it's only playing at The Grove and the Century 14, and I'll be damned if I'm going near any malls these days :) I still don't have a clue how it turned out or what to expect, but of course the scene where I proposed to my wife will have special significance.

Hope you're doing well :)

8. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    PS - that's not it either; it was sort of a cross between the two I just posted...I know I've seen them before in books/mags, so I didn't think it would be so hard to identify...where's L. Wayne!? :)

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The one on top is in #1 is another version of the 250 testarosa. #2 looks like a 750 monza, or something like that.

10. mikey

mikey Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    #10 mikey, Dec 13, 2003
  11. mikey

mikey Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    #11 mikey, Dec 13, 2003
  12. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    #12 Old Guy, Dec 15, 2003
    Assuming that it was Bruce Meyer, Chairman of the Peterson, driving, you saw the 625 TRC which he owns and which has been on display in the Peterson. It is one of two built using a four cylinder, 2.5 liter engine. Both went to John von Neumann, and this car (0672 MDTR) had a particularly impressive racing history. It was fitted with a 250 TR V12 engine in 1958, and was raced by both John and Josie Von Neumann, Richie Ginther, Ken Miles, and others. The car passed through lots of hands (including mine) until Bruce bought it about two years ago, and finished the restoration.

It is a two-seater, but with a metal cover over the passenger's seat.

I don't have any photos of the car any more, but these three photos of 1/43 models of this car should be sufficient illustration.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  14. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    That's right, yes, it was Bruce Meyer...and the models, and especially the photo posted by L. Wayne look spot-on. What a gorgeous car! I tried to get my wife to slow down/stop, but she was prattling away on the phone and probably would have given me another one of those "let me guess, you saw a Ferrari" looks :)

Thanks guys!

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Entelechy, that's awesome...! So cool that you saw it, period, let alone on the road...! You should really carry a camera with you at ALL TIMES... i do... It's come in quite handy on several occasions... Very cool and congratulations... i would probably soil myself upon seeing something like that "in the wild"...

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands