F1 box in the 360 (or 355) | FerrariChat

F1 box in the 360 (or 355)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by forzarich, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    Can anyone with a 360 F1 answer this question.
    When you change gear does the car twitch slightly to the right? I can't work out if it is me turning the wheel or 'torque steer' of some kind.
    It bothers me a bit because a friend with similar car says his doesn't do it and thinks it is me doing it.
    I only pull the change up lever very slightly, just tapping it with my little finger and I swear it still does it. If I try and shake the wheel it doesn't move that much so I am sure it's the car not me
    Anyone have any comments, first Ferrari and don't know enough about them to know if it's normal...

Thanks for any info.
    Rich

2. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Rich,

F1 twicthing to the right ???

I've never heard of that before.

I've driven various F.cars with F1 boxes(355,360,CS,C)
    and never noticed a pull in one direction.

I would suggest you get it checked out.

First a couple of things you might want to try.

Try changing on a road with no or little camber. see if it's still pulling on a flat surface or pulling in the other direction for an inverse camber road.

Also try it in differant rev bands. F1 boxes can be jurky to a more or lesser extent on all models but less jurky at certain revs in certain gears.
    A bit like try to match the engine revs with clutch speed.

So try at low revs for a while and then try at quite high revs for a while( be quite aggresive, you won't hurt it) you may find it smoother at high revs but see if you feel any difference.

Also be positve with the gear change(not just a little finger) make the lever travel the full distance. Remember it's not an automatic/tiptronic box; it's a manual and needs a firm hand.

Sorry if this sounds all a bit condisending. It's not meant to be.

Just my 2cts.

Wazza

3. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    A couple of other little things

Never change up/down more than one gear at a time.
    Let the gear change settle before selecting another.

Also quite important to change gear in a straight line as there would be some touque steer if you're aggresively changing through a corner.

you probably new all that already.

I'll get me coat then.

4. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    Wazza, Thanks for the input.
    It doesn't always do it. I don't tend to change gear when cornering unless I'm just pottling around...
    I admit, sometimes it doesn't do it and when I am driving normally and changing up through the gears you don't notice it.

Most of the roads I have been driving when I notice this seem to generally be quite flat.

I notice it most when I am accelerating quite hard I suspect it is down to me being new to the car, the F1 box and not changing gear at quite the right time, I am still getting used to the throttle. Couple that with hanging on, looking out for plod and trying to keep one eye on the speedo I suspect I am weaving all over the place.

I think if I/it am/is still doing it at the weekend I'll get someone else to have a go to see if it does with them...

Damn these things are fun :)

5. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have a 360 F1 and have never had this happen to me. With most roads having some sort of camber I would aim for a large car park or motorway middle lane to test properly.

If you drove along with no hands on the steering wheel does the car drift right anyway?

6. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    I think it does drift to the right a bit....

One other point (may be showing my true ignorance here but) if one of the rear tyre pressures was different to the other could this have an effect similar to what I am seeing?

7. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    Not what you want to hear I know, but sorry - my 360 F1 has never shown that characteristic...