360 Spyder at MSRP | FerrariChat

360 Spyder at MSRP

Discussion in '360/430' started by Napolis, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A friend just had the same experience at an East Coast dealer that another poster had at FOS. He walked in and bought a 360 spyder at MSRP. (New car) March delivery. If you want one and have a good relationship with a dealer I'd check in.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Unless you're talking about someone else, the FOS new car purchase was a coupe, and it was somewhat over MSRP (it was turned down by the original buyer, so FOS felt they were o.k. to "re-sell" at over MSRP). Your report would be the first Spider I've heard of selling for list with no wait. The waiting list is still quite long everywhere I've checked.

Gary

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Gary
    This dealership also has a Stradale they are using as a demo. In this sunday's NYT there's a delivery milage Yellow 360 Spyder with options at a dealer asking 207K.

4. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've done quite a bit of research into 360 prices - as I am in the market. For whatever reason, yellow seems to command a lower resale price.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My Uncle bought a 360 Spider at MSRP. I was supposed to have it while here in Florida, but of course it was in the shop, something wrong with the top mechanism.

6. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

8. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They actually did charge over MSRP at FOS? How does someone not taking the car justify that? How much over did he pay? I thought the days of paying over for coupes was long gone. I guess it depends on how bad you want a "new" one.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'll let Tim (the happy buyer) chime in with the money specifics if he chooses. FOS position apparently was that the car was spoken for by someone else, and when that deal fell through, they were free to ask over list for it. Coupe resales are still over list for the more recent (2001 and newer) 360s, as far as I can tell.

Gary

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That's still way over list, altho it is under what Spiders have been going for recently. East coast exotic car sales suffer in the winter.

Gary

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think dealers would do this in a second, why go to the next person on the list when this is good enough excuse to charge over MSRP.

12. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was the "happy" buyer of the 2004 360 coupe from FoS. I paid a little over MSRP. Considering I couldn't get on the list, and that the car was a 2004 (!), it was well worth the few extra $$. :)

The story was that the original buyer "had" to buy the car and that I was technically buying it from him. However, since I was the first title, there may have been something more to it. Given my options, it didn't make sense to press the issue any further - especially since my mouth still hurts from smiling since I picked it up!

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Sounds to me like Tim won the lottery, even at a little over MSRP.

Gary

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Tkinslow: what's a S/W engineer? It's probably obvious, but I can't figure it out :)...

Congrats on the 360! Beautiful car, like the wheels too.

FoS people were always short and rather rude with me, even when I'd go in at lunch hour with a suit on.

15. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    gee thats funny, on a previous post a bunch of guys on here just couldnt believe u could get a USED 03 for list.

yet another wake up call.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495&page=4&pp=20&highlight=360+prices

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Software engineer

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You really should pay more attention. You have always been able to buy NEW 360s at list, Ferrari prohibits dealer markups. The used market is a different story, and 360 prices on the used market continue to be above list all the way back to probably the 2000 model year, 2001 for sure.

Gary

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Gary
    You're begging the point. Here to fore people like me could at anytime get any F car at MSRP. In the NY area this is now true for a larger group of people who want 360's. (My friend who has a good but much less of a relationship with F than me). As the 360 is getting nearer the end of it's run, with the CS, the Gallardo, and the Ford GT out or coming this isn't surprizing. Once again if you want a 360 and have a good relationship with a dealer now may be the time.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    No question about it, as the model nears the end of its life cycle, the demand will slacken somewhat. It's no longer the newest, hottest thing on the block. Time will tell how the depreciation curve goes, but most "experts" (and I certainly don't count myself among them, but I try to listen when they talk) seem to feel the 360 will retain reasonably good resale for the forseeable future. I'd be surprised if the prices plummeted. And yes, I am pleased that market dynamics have made it possible for little ol' me to buy a new 360 at MSRP. :)

Gary

20. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    knock knock gary........:)

read the thread. people were blasting allan claiming he was a liar and that his uncle did not and could not have bought a spider at list.

21. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    It's been established pretty clearly that there are buyers with an inside track for whatever reason who can walk in and buy a high demand Ferrari without waiting. For the rest of us mortals, we wait and hope for the best. So the question to me was not "did he buy the car at list" but "did he wait, or is he "special" in some way".

Gary

22. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I still think getting a 360 spider at MSRP is the HUGE exception vs. the rule. As is getting a coupe at MSRP. Now if you have a very good relationship or get lucky etc. I am not suggesting that it cant happen. But after all this going back and forth on FCHAT for weeks, the only 2 examples I have heard of are Allan's uncle (?) and Jim's friend who has a history with Ferrari. As for the bulk of of the rest of us, even with a check for $190K, that is simply not going to happen IMHO.

23. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    John,

no one realy know what the circumstances were with Allan's uncle and the 360. for all we know he could have been a top customer of a F-dealer and obviously got the treatment of just lucky. it can happen.

But to generalize his situation and state that everyone can walk into a Ferrari dealer and come out with a brand new spyder is just unrealistic.
    As far as i know Allan's unlce and Napoli's friend are the only two people on the chat line that have gotten the spyder by just walking into the dealer. Very small percentage!

24. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i hear what you are guys are saying. i'm just trying to say the market is soft and the possiblites of walking in and getting a spider at list are far greater than they were 3 years ago.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's all I'm saying as well but my friend doesn't have as much history as I would have thought necessary therefore I'd still think any of you who want one should check again. My friend wouldn't have gotten one 3 years ago either.