Classic V's Modern | FerrariChat

Classic V's Modern

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Steve275, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I asked about the modern 355 driving experience against the 328 classic expereince, Rob B posted this....

Thought I might canvas other opinions, Might swap the 328 for a 355 - No offense to all you guys who have 360's, I know there great cars, But just not my cup of tea styling wise !

Am I way off, or does the modern driving sensation still have that supreme event that the 328 or 288 still holds for me......?

Cheers,

Steve

good call- own a 355 and a 328 if you can! (and while you're at it, you should probably get a 550. And an F40 of course, Oh, and an RS6 Estate for every day or perhaps a Range Rover, and now I'm being silly, and dribbling...) However, budgetary constraints meant that the 328 had to go (sniff). I'd had the 328 for 4 yrs, and felt it was time for a change.

I wanted a 355 mainly because I love the looks of it, and read all the the great reviews. I also loved the sound of the engine when I'd seen them out and about. You know the stats, so I don't need to tell you about the performance!

It feels like an altogether more substantial car with all the trappings of modern life, and is a car in which I'd relish a 4 hr drive.

But the first time you hear the sound of the engine when the cat bypass valve opens as you pass through a tunnel will have you (as it did me) reaching for your chequebook.

The 355 feels less like a 'classic' Ferrari and I suppose feels therefore relatively less special.

A bit morbid, but lets face it, the 328 is based on a 1976 design- would you really want to crash in it? Just a thought... the 355 has airbags and everything.

However, the 355 does definitely not feel like an everyday car, and it is still a huge 'event' every time I drive it. And you still can't use 2nd until it warms up a bit!

The 328 feels delicate and fragile, but gets a bit ragged in tough conditions where the 355 comes alive when you drive it hard. The feel of the 355's gearbox when changing fast at high revs is stunning. The 355's steering feels curiously light at low speeds, but perfectly weighted and feelsome when on the move. The 355 is certainly less 'tactile', but the fabulous overall driving experience is ample reward.

They are utterly different to drive, hence my agreement with Philip's comments.

I hope the above thoughts are useful. I know I felt very sad when I waved my 328 off with its new owner. However, a quick trip down the road in the 355 passing under my friendly neighbourhood railway bridge in 2nd at 8500rpm soon blew away the tears!

In a nutshell, I'd be amazed if anyone regretted buying a 355.

Start a separate thread- I'm sure there are many others who'd like to say their piece on the subject.

Good hunting!

Robert.

2. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Robert / Steve

I had a 328GTB which I changed for a F355GTS 6 months ago. Whilst I would have like too have kept both the 355 is a big step forward from the 328 and is very very driveable with some modern creature comforts.

Nothing beats the sound with a Tubi installed and I do believe that the 355 still contains some of the true Ferrari character which I fear has been lost in the 360. I compare it to the 993 vs 996 Porsche argument and I to believe that the 993 had character that got lost in the 996.

I frive an RS6 as daily car and it is truly great fun but not a red Ferrari

James

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'll second James' comments re the 993 vs 996 argument. I wrestled with the idea of buying a 993 turbo or a 996 when I decided to sell my 328 as I thought that the extra seats, small as they are, would be useful for carrying our 1yr old daughter which would mean more trips out in it (hurrah!). I tried a few, but knew that the 355 was what I wanted.

I like 360s (esp Stradale!) very much, but I read that Ferrari aimed in the 360's development to make a car that people would use every day, which I suppose inevitably means that it will need to be more refined and easier to use. Hence one might argue that some character has been lost, but I'd still say that the 360 has character in bucketloads relative to other cars.

So, two RS6 drivers... the daily driver of choice for 355 owners?? I like 'em a lot, esp the exhaust note!

Steve, I checked out your profile and you have a remarkable collection. The 288 is one of my all time favourite Ferraris- is it as fantastic as I hope it is?

I think a 355 would sit in your stable very well indeed...

4. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Robert,

I agree with the Porsche argument, but I'm talking about Ferrari, I'm a bit of a classic man at heart and the newest car I poccess is purely for business reasons, nothing more, after that the 328 is an '89 so hardly cutting edge technology, but I don't care, if the Ferrari built another car that looked like the 288 GTO, went like an Enzo & was as reliable as n RS6 I'd have the perfect car - I think ?

The 288 is a Great Car, That sounds so understated for what I truly believe to be the 'Worlds Best Looking' car Ever!, Driving it is always a magnificent event, I still get goose bumps and my stomach still plays Heathrow to 200 butterflies evertime I fetch the key to start her up and go for a gallop.

I too think I NEED a 355 GTS, I just have to convince my Wife that my need is so great that she couldn't possibly say no, The last time I bought myself another toy, it end up costing me a new car for her too, NOT FUNNY !

Thanks alot,

Steve

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Steve,

For what it's worth, my wife was instrumental in me getting the 355- she normally merely tolerates my motoring eccentricities, but when we went to see the 355 she was quite smitten, and badgered me to do a deal (not that I needed the encouragement)

Good luck in your quest, and I hope that it doesn't prove too expensive!

p.s, delighted to hear that the 288 is The Business- was passed on the M40 a few months ago by one, driving lights ablaze, spitting flames between gearchanges, and sounding quite fabulous. Still get goosebumps just thinking about it now...

Robert.

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Steve

" I too think I NEED a 355 GTS, I just have to convince my Wife that my need is so great that she couldn't possibly say no"

Then you can buy mine!

7. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You've already got one ? - Have you broke yours and need a new one ?

Steve

8. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Steve,
    I think he's offering you his ....
    Tony

9. MarkCollins