To cover or not to cover | FerrariChat

To cover or not to cover

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Teenferrarifan, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Guys my Dad got a cadillac XLR and drives it everyday. However there is no garage space left because we only have a three car garage and he keeps his cl500, 355, and my keeps her H2 in there. So, that means the XLR is kept outside. He wants to know if it makes sense to cover it at night. I told him that having it under cover with with blowing and stuff will do more damage then good. Any thoughts? What would you do?
    Erik

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Covering it up seems like a hassle to me. While at school, I have outside parking and leave my G500 in mother nature's care. I haven't had any adverse effects as of yet (well, except the fact that I have to get the snow off of it). Leave it uncovered...

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Erik,

Either leave it uncovered or put in in the garage in the place of the H2! :)

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Augustine try telling that to my mom. That is what he said and lets just say he is lucky he still has the other 2 spaces. For a while I thought I might be getting one. Isn't it ironic that the h2 gets the garage and the XLR gets the driveway.
    Erik

5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Unless the car is freshly washed and the cover is properly tied down, a cover does more damage then good. I would recommond trying to get a lift so that he can put the 355 of cl500 in the air and then put the xlr underneath it. All problems would be solved. BTW, what are his opinions on the XLR? I have heard some good things about the car. It appears Cadillac might finally be back.

6. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I was going to suggest that...

It *would* make more sense to leave the H2 outside and keep the XLR inside. The H2 is more suited to being outdoors. Your mom is no push-over, eh?

7. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Lester I don't think she wants to get stuck walking outside all the time, and she knows if she gives him the spot know she won't get it back after winter.

TCM my dad has waited for this car a long time. He actually had the purple neiman markus car and then decided to flip that for the blue one he got. The blue is a very rare color to get now as is the car. He likes the car a lot but he will tell you it is no sl500 but for the 20k diff. it comes pretty close. It is very quick having 320 hp and it is very easy to drive on a daily basis. The ride is about as stiff as his benz. The one complaint he does have is that the interior has a little to much CTS in it for him. Also the navigation system isn't as good as the cl's. Overall though he is pretty pleased and I agree that this car could put cadillac back on the map. But, the question really is whether or not that will steal any sl buyers away. Also whether or not after the new C6 comes out people still want to pay 30k more for the caddy. I will post some pics if it isn't to dark when he gets home or take some tomorrow morning.
    Erik

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm with everyone else on this one. The TRUCK gets parked inside while the convertible stays outside?? HUH? Lemme ask you.. who paid for the H2?? Mom, or Dad? You know where I'm headed with this... ;)

-R

9. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I hear you Robin. I would rather see the H2 outside, but I think that why should my dad have 3 cars that get a garage and my moms one has to go outside. That and she goes in and out more then he does so why wouldn't she get to use the garage. He only needs to walk outside twice a day. She would have to like 4 times a day. Also my dad won't keep his XLR long enough for any weather to really effect how the car looks. He drives it in everything.
    Erik

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    same problem ...the Cooper S sleeps in the warmy garage next to the Enzo while the SL 500 freezes its ass outside :)...

I ll refrain saying what i think though :)

11. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Awesome Andrew. That is great. You have to take a picture of them next to each other in the garage with the Sl outside. Next time we get some snow I will snap one with the XLR in the snow and the hummer high and dry.
    Erik

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Erik,

Definitely uncovered. I had a cover on my car and the wind and debris alone scratched it all up. Covers are great if used inside. Park the H2 outside.

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The car must be clean or you wipe down with a quick detailer every other day depending on how dirty it gets. Thats for So Cal conditions.

If you have 4 distinct seasons with bad weather for one of them, don't even bother with a cover.

Lift or car port + cover would be the way to go.

Sunny

P.S. Never throw or slide a cover. You UNFOLD a cover in sections.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sell one car ... simply solution to me. He can only drive one car at a time, get rid of the one he does like the most. I cannot understand why people end up with these huge collection of cars, all that happens is one of more of the cars never get used and end up becoming an unreliable piece of ****. Sell the cl500 or 355 or both :)

Pete

15. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    If I was in that situation I would sell the XLR and the 355 and get a 360 and use the CL as my daily driver.