Source for 348 front bumper mounting bolts? | FerrariChat

Source for 348 front bumper mounting bolts?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ShanB, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    I need a set of mounting brackets/bolts for a 348 front bumper- the ones that are built into the bumper that attach through the trunk. They are not listed as a seperate part in the parts manual. Does anybody know of a source for these besides breaking them out of a broken bumper and reusing them?

Thanks.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Just match size and pitch and order fro any metric supplier like. Metric muti standard, maryland metrics, mc master-carr etc....

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks Billybob, but unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure it's going to be that simple. The two bolts appear to be welded to a bracket. that is embedded in the bumper, and the bolts stick out of the back of the bumper through the fiberglass. There are two such assemblies (four bolts total) ebmedded in the bumper that attach it to the frame. I was hoping to find a source for this assembly. Are you saying that those sources sell these? Please set me straight if I'm missing something.

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Here's what I'm looking for:

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    To slide in (at the arrows) and into the trunk to secure the bumper:

Any suggestions?

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Did the threaded ends snap off when you tried to remove the nuts? The way I see it, you have three choices:
    1) Cut the old studs at a convenient point, weld on new ends of a suitable length, grind smooth, should work fine.
    2) Cut the old studs off flush, weld on entire new studs, should work fine.
    3) Cut the old studs to about 1" long, thread the remainder with a die of suitable thread pitch, use a matching coupling nut to extend the stud to necessary length. Might have to enlarge the hole in the front panel to clear the coupling.
    Personally, I'd go for #2 as long as there is a weldable surface at the base of the old studs. Carefully done, it shouldn't hurt the bumper skin.

7. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks Miltonian. I bought a used bumper and the seller (inexplicably) cut the threads off. If extensions can be welded I will go for that. Where would you go to have that done? A body shop or do I need to look for a "welder". What specifically do I ask for?

Thanks

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I'm not a welding expert, but I have done some simple MIG welding. A body shop would probably charge you more than a welding shop, but either one should be able to do the job, it's very simple. If you use option #2, you want minimum heat applied near the bumper skin, probably TIG weld. If you do option #1, any method should work. You don't need to replicate the original thread pitch, you can use anything that fits through the hole in the front panel, with matching nuts (I'd go for nylocs). One suggestion - take the "horsie" off first, they'll charge extra if they know it's for a Ferrari!

9. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thank you very much - that was exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.

Happy holidays!

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    You're welcome - let us know what happens!
    Just looked at your profile pic, pardon me, your wheels are mounted on the wrong side of the car. Old pic?

11. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Good pick-up, and yes the picture is "pre-switch".

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    shan,

You have a weird set-up and I did not see the pic you posted until after my post. I would not weld. Weld gets hot even tig and you may overheat the bumper skin. If the raw rod is sound enough to cut a piece off and weld to it then you can thread it. Just measure it and buy the appropriote die to cut threads into the rods. You can by your dies online at MSCdirect.com or use-enco.com. Then buy nuts to fit from any source like Metric multi stadard, maryland metrics, mcmaster-carr etc..

13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks Billybob - I spoke with a local a welder today. He says he can weld the rod extensions without harming the bumper. We'll see.

14. ctanner

ctanner Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd like to second BillyBob's recommendation and visit a machine shop instead of a welder. I'd thread the four rods, and then thread on an extension piece to bolt to the car.

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Shan

There is no easy way to fix the bolts. As you can see by looking at the back of the bumper it is two pieces. You can get the brackets made, but your problem is putting them in. You would have to cut out the back part of the bumper then replace the bracket and reglass it to the front part of the bumper. When I got a new bumper for my 348 I had a mold made. The old bumper got destroyed taking it appart to make the two pieces needed for the mold. See the factory has the fog light housings going through part of the rear piece so it is impossible to get to that area without cutting the fog lights out.

What you could do is weld a new piece of metal to the stud. Then get a tube that will just fit over the two studs welded together. After you slip the tube over the welded studs weld the ends of the tube to the stud, for added strength. Then rethread the end that is sticking out. Other wise your gonna have to cut out the old brackets.