respect for enzo... | FerrariChat

respect for enzo...

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bostonmini, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Does anybody find that the more they learn about enzo ferrari (the man) the more they are thinking "the company is better now!"..The last straw was on the thread about the poor guy that lost his 360CS on the way over...it said that "enzo would definitely have sold it to the highest bidder". This is a poor business practice, and although Im sure some of the things ive heard are taken out of context, you like to think that buying such an expensive car would give you a degree of allegiance. Examples of my discontent are "I build cars for young men only old men can afford" and "I sell engines, the cars come free" or lastly, the notion that Ferrari didnt care about his roadcars, just racing...I dont get it. Sounds to me like the 2002 supercar should have been "the LUCA" He actually cares about customer satisfaction, and had the balls to admit that the 348 was a failure and the F50 wasnt exactly awesome (performance wise)....just curious what you guys think:) still LOVE the cars...

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thats exactly what i like about Ferrucio Lamborghini, he was one of us, and took no **** from anyone, even Enzo.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Enzo said that if he hadnt gotten into racing he would have gotten into Opera & he definately knew a thing or 2 about drama :)

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yup...Mr Lamborghini was a class act form what I have read. He would be found quite offten wrenching on the floor with the rest of his employee's.

Enzo Ferrari commands zero respect from me. I like the cars not him,or the history. I could careless. I like the cars because of the way they look and drive. Yes the cars a beautiful,and there is a history with the company. But unforunatly we as ownes don't own that history with our 360,308,550,bb512, what ever. You may own a peice if your lucky enough to have a P4, 250 GTO, LM250 etc. But face it,not to many people can afford those cars.

Enzo came arcoss to me as a miserable spoiled butt head. And if I had lived at the time and was rich enough to afford such a car at the time, there would be no way I would buy one,just because of the ******* in charge. I would have gone down the street to Lambo in a heart beat.

But I love the cars,and many people do. So really he could act the way he wanted and people would put up with it.

The other thing also is the way he and whats his head decided to rip off the American for pricing. They would inflate the prices over 100% for parts and for the cars themsleves. Why is it that Ferrari was allowed to get away with it? If anyother manufacuter did this,they would be out of business. But people refused to stand up and tell Ferrari this. So the reason we pay such high prices for stuff is because the buying public let Ferrari get away with it for so long. So we have knowbody to blame accept for the people who continued to buy the cars at inflated prices,thus giving Enzo the power to do what he wanted. If people had of realized what an idiot he was then I garentee that peopl would have not bought his cars until he woke up and smelled the burning oil.
    (runs to closet to put on flame suit)

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Their are also many that think todays Ferraris are nothing but expensive Fiats, after Enzo passed Fiat cashed their option to buy his remaining stock, since then thay have increased production and stopped the hand manufacturing of the road cars and many engines are made not in Maranello but by the Ducati plant and shipped back to Maranello.

You can't always believe what you read Enzo was a bit of an Enigma, many have said he hated his rich status hungry customers and thought of them as fools which I can understand but he did care about the road cars, in his last days the Fiat management was on the verge of designing a four door Ferrari in the theme of the automatic 400i coupe , Ferrari was furious over than plan to emasculate his machinery into a tamer four door car, he protested so vigorously the entire project was cancelled

Also,todays lamborghinis have as much to do with Ferrucio as todays Ferraris have to do with Enzo

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    It would be tough to compare "Ferrari under Enzo" to "Ferrari under Luca." They live(d) in such different times. Imagine a time when racing was the primary focus and street cars were just a means to an end. A time when you could compete in a race series and have absolutely no sponsorship indication other than the name of your company on the car. No sponsors = no "a$$-kissing.

I kind of like the fact that if Enzo didn't like you, you very well might be shown "the door." How many customers today actually get told "no I'd rather not do business with you?" Not enough, IMO.

God Bless Enzo Ferrari and everything he stood for.

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some baseball fans can tell you who stold the most bases in 1947 and what his batting statistics were. I use to make fun of these guys!

But some Ferrari fans twist their hobby this way also.
    As you grow into your hobby....first just wanting a car, and then after buying a few ferrairs, looking for something new to study, you start to learn about old cars, the history, and Enzo himself.

I'm still at that stage where I don't care about Mr Enzo or race cars of the 1800's :) but someday I might be.

For now, I'm more interested in Ferrari's replacement of the 360 and 575? I hope the company takes the exotic title back away from Lambo... because if I win the lotto this weekend, I'm getting a Murci and a Gallardo on Monday. ( I'll still wear my ferrari hat and shirt, since I like hanging-out at the ferrari parties and going to the club social events) Soooo as a life-long Ferrari fan, is it the fact that Enzo isn't around that I'm in this criss-crossed mess?

So for you Enzo lovers, researchers, historians.... Heres a question- What would Enzo do now?

-Lambo has taken the exotic road
    -Porsche sucessfully taken the SUV path to financial independance.
    -Ford has taken the Historic racing retro
    -Ferrari

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ...continues to capture our hearts like nothing else... No matter how cheap a Gallardo gets or how fast a Ford GT can go, we still stick with Ferrari like it's our job... No matter how expensive they get, no matter how much depreciation one gets hit with, no matter how long we'll wait for one, we vouch for Ferrari above all else; no matter how unreliable, DESpite all the complaints listed above, no matter how ornery FNA and the dealers may be, we'll still be there, begging for more... Ferrari is a masochist's luxury... There's something untouchable and completely inDEScribeable about a $40,000 328GTS that even a $250,000 Diablo can't replicate or match or compete with... There's something undeniably lustfull about a 20 year old sports that's getting spanked by every other econobox on the road today... it's just Ferrari and that's that.

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    DES,

It's nice that you used the 328 GTS as your example. Thanks dude! :)

10. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Excellent response, DES. Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

The history of the company, and the legacy that Enzo left, make these cars what they are today.

11. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Mark (study) - did that address your question? :)

Some will say that if you have to ask the question, you simply either dont get it or aren't hooked. Kinda like trying to explain drug addiction. Having said that, Ferrari's do need to evolve to stay competitive and they will - they always have. In 99 the 360 was almost the most badas$. Today it isn't. However, it is still the one I will buy - far ahead of a Gallardo or a GT or a Viper or a P TT. I know that those cars are faster but I will still buy the 360.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

No.
    I still think it would be more fun to play Enzo wakes up in 2004 looks around at all the other cars and looks at his company and says-"this is what we are going to do next!" What would he say?

Des- you are "THE FERRARI POET" I think every web site should have a Poet, its not something you see that much anymore. Come to think of it.... every renaisance web site like this one should have a Tattoo Artist also :)

P.S. sometimes I think I should stop looking at all these new cars and get a old 328 and just enjoy driving it around the beach. But then I also dream of 500hp that isn't just a weekend car.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gus, not only did i immediately think about the 328 GTS, yours is one of the first i thought of... It's just a beautiful car, no matter what it's next to...

Thanks, Ferrari1 & Rodsky...

Thanks, Mark, that's a big compliment...
    If Enzo were still alive, i think he'd look at all of the complainers and say, "Tough sh_t..."

i wouldn't have it any other way.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Absolutely absurd. Ferrari is #1 only for a brainwashed few. Those who are openminded enough know that many sportscars, not only Lamborghini, are significantly better. If you think that because your driving a Ferrari there is an aura surrounding you, you are greatly mistaken.

Also, as for the 328, im sorry but a few months ago i was driving around in one for a few weeks, and most people laugh at you. The Magnum and "Wheres Higgens" comments get to be annoying.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    As for Enzo, it wouldnt matter if he was alive today, he still wouldnt give a **** about you or me, only in race cars.

Lamborghini was made for the people.

16. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Mark(study)
    The first thing Enzo would do is ask if F1 is still being contested. When he learned that it was he would ask who had won this year's championship. Then he would march over to the F1 workshops and profusely thank and congratulate everyone there for their efforts, only to learn that they had also won the three previous championships as well. A romantic might characterize it as the happiest day of his "life".

To fantasize any further is just that . . . fantasy

17. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Allan,

I've got no problem with you at all and I know where you stand on these cars. To be honest though, I couldn't give a sh*t what anyone thinks of my car. They can laugh all they want. I'd rather drive around with a cardboard life-size Higgins in my passenger seat than have any number of modern "superior" sports cars. The 328 just does it for me and that's all that really matters. :)

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ferrari is what it is today, because Enzo only worried about the race track ... thus people wanted to join the elist company that was and still is involved in motorsport at the highest level, and thus bought a road Ferrari.

Most Ferrari owners I imagine spend a considerable amount of their time behind the wheel romantising about drifting into the white house corner at Le Mans as they lead the final hour of Le Mans, or taking pole at Monza ... we have Enzo to thank for that connection.

Whatever you think, and yes Enzo was an arse hole to women and many other people, he had the single minded determination to create the worlds greatest (if not the most successful) racing team. In that process he pissed many people off, drove drivers to their death (arguably) but man he did generate this enormous passion for motorsport that caused me anyway to find automobiles interesting. Take away motorsport and I could not give a fnck about cars.

In the end a great man does not have to be loved or respected, but we have to respect what he has done ... I respect Enzo for what he achieved, and guess a lesser weaker man that worried about whether he was going to be liked, etc, would not have achieved as much!

Also his attitude to his road car customer was the best marketing tool ever invented. Treate people like they are not of your class, and thus not good enough to purchase your product ... and they will trip over themselves to be ALLOWED to buy one, and thus leaving with the foolish notion that Enzo Ferrari has finally approved of them .... hahaha, he must have pissed himself laughing at these idiots in the early days that paid a fortune for a worn out race car wearing badly put together new clothes! What a salesman!

Pete

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Allan... Nowhere in my post did you read that i stated that Ferraris are "better" than any other cars; i merely stated that they capture us like nothing else... You've misunderstood... i love Lamborghinis, the Diablo in particular; in fact, the Diablo Roadster is one of my favorite cars of all time... Right up there with the Countach... Even above the Miura, the Urraco & the Silhouette... i don't think there is an aura surrounding anyone because of whatever car they drive... There ARE, however, auras that surround some people, no matter WHAT they drive (but that's for another thread...)

Maybe in Hawaii, people make comments about the 328... Over here, from what i've seen (and from what i, myself have done), people go nuts over it... They love it... It's an awesome car... What i tried to say in my other post is that there's something about, something in the 328 that other, more expensive or newer cars can't replicate... Never, not once, did i say that they're better than other cars... Go back and read my whole post...
    If people are laughing at you, though, i can almost be certain that it has nothing to do with your car. :)

Note to self: Get Gus a life-size, cardboard cutout of Higgins for Christmas.

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...! That's classic...! What a statement...! Rock on, Psk... :)

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Unfortunately for Ferrucio Lamborghini, his marque became the "Bastard, red-headed step child" of Italian sports cars when Enzo told him to pound sand all those years ago. And like it or not...the fact is, since that time, Lamborghini has played second fiddle to Ferrari. Even today that same fear, insecurity and penis envy is what must undoubtedly lead an auto manufacturer (having little or no racing heritage) to produce a "PLEEEAASSEEEE NOTICE MEEEEEE", gimmick laden, imagewagon with a 4 foot long SV painted on the door.

DL

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...!!!

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Lamborghini only plays second fiddle to Ferrari in your mind. In the real world, it is twice the car of any Ferrari. Having "Hey look at me looks" is much better inmo opinion than having a 200k+ underperforming car that bears a strong resemblence to the Toyota Supra, like the 550/575.

Azzuro328, i didnt mean insult to the 328. Its one of my favorite cars, but it does not have an Aura of being above other cars.

In the end its ok, Ferrari wins Formula One, and youll always have that, if thats what makes you happy. But in real life, youll always own an underperforming and lately uninspired car that does not perform as well as a Corvette.

Personally, id rather have the car that looks and performs first rate, and not give a crap about Formula 1.

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ...Whatever twirls your beaney, Allan.

DL

25. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Allan, unlike Augustine, i DO have a problem with you... You're a pompous, arrogant assh_le, regardless of whatever "keeps us on our toes" material you contribute... Read this entire thread over again, then try replying with something that's remotely relevant...

Lamborghini is NOT twice the car of "any" Ferrari... Nor is a Ferrari twice the car of "any" Lamborghini; no one's saying one is better than the other, you dim-witted twit... Get off your "i'm a victim" high horse (or bull) and stop being such a whining, sniveling prick, eager for attention and validation through magazine articles...

If your car looks first rate to YOU, that's great... That's also an opinion... We're playing with facts in here... Check the rules before you step into the game, numb nuts...
    If you get first-rate performance from your car, that's great, too... However, there ARE Ferraris out there that will eat your Diablo for breakfast (along with makes from other marques)... Lamborghini is not the know all, end all, be all and neither is Ferrari... No one was saying it was... No one is vouching for Ferrari solely through F1, either... You're really insecure, you know that...? i remember the first time i saw a picture of your Lamborghini... i thought, "wow, this guy must be cool...!" Now, i just think you're an assh_le... On the other hand, i'd rather hang out with Gus ANY day and be his Higgins...

Man makes the car, Allan, not the other way around.