Largest house | FerrariChat

Largest house

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Teenferrarifan, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What is the largest house you have ever seen or been in? The other thread about the house got me started. Square feet? I'll start. 46,000 sq. ft. in moorestown, NJ saw from street kind of.
    Erik

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Lets also add largest garage at house. 6 car at a person's house down the street 3 doors each 2 cars deep. Anyone else.
    Erik

3. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I don't know if this counts, but the largest house I have ever seen is the Vanderbuilt Biltmore estate in NC. The house is 250 rooms and something like 175,000 sq ft. Of course, it is no longer a private residence.

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Been in a quite a few "big" houses, castles, villas (palaces), etc., but never asked what the square footage was.

Garages, on the other hand...
    the largest non-display place I have been in was a single storey structure, with a "front road" on the inside so that every car could come out without having to move any others out of the way. It held 400 cars very comfortably, along with about a dozen planes (DC3 and smaller). That was outside Kuala Lampur. I think the ones belonging to the Sultan of Brunei are bigger yet, but they are more warehouses than garages.

There's a 9-car (3 across, 3 deep) garage at a house in Woodside, California that houses some very impressive Porsches. The single owner mainly use the driveway or another 1-car garage also attached to his massive house.

Also seen some really fancy turntable and carousel arrangements in Japan and, of all places, just outside Sacramento, California!

5. androza

androza Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Biltmore is still owned by the Vanderbilts, correct?

Anyone seen Old Westbury Gardens in person? Its a Gold Coast mansion in Long Island, and one of the most gorgeous houses I've ever had the pleasure to view.

6. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Does Hearst Castle count? I don't know the square footage, but it was suitably decadent.

7. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    those mansion estates in Newport, Rhode Island are humungous!

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Ive toured Hearst Castle and it is AMAZING! Just amazing some one man can build up that much of a fortune.

9. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I used to live in Moorestown, NJ and I watched that 46,000sq ft house being built. As an aside the owner of the house is the president of Commerce Bank. Supposedly he paid only $1.9 mil for the house.

I saw Aaron Spelling house in Los Angeles. It's close to 50,000 sq ft. Shag from the Lakers has a 64,000 sq. ft house in Florida.

For a point of reference, the White House in D.C. is only 48,000 sq ft.

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Nelson Peltz's "High Winds" estate takes the cake for me- it's his Bedford, NY mansion that I had the pleasure of hanging out in/around this summer... From what I understand, he owned the property next door to Mariah Carrey and Tommy Mottolas (and lived there) which was 130-acres and then, a few years ago, bought Mottolas house...

Words can't describe how amazing the estate is- it has:

-Golf course/putting green
    -Full indoor ice rank w/ facilities
    -numerous pools
    -A lake (which I'm not sure if he owns completely, but I'd assume so)
    -Numerous staff houses
    -A gigantic (6-8k) guest house where his kids live (I spent most of my time there)
    -An absolutely beautiful main house that reminds me more of a castle- I believe it was Mariahs house first- 20k+
    -Waterfalls (one over 50 feet high)
    -Security: a large full time security force, guarded entrances, cameras everywhere etc...
    and they're currently finishing up on a movie theatre...

I don't know how much detail I can/should go into about the house but regardless of what I say, words can't describe it.

The scary thing is that he has a 75m+ house in Florida which is 46k square feet that is on and off the market:

More on Peltz and his house:

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    What's your name? I'm friends with Nelson's oldest son from Matt, and I'd be interested to know how you know the family. Nice people, very generous.

Matt, incidently, went to prom with Paris Hilton... :)

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And, yes, Biltmore is still privately owned and is the largest privately held home in the country. America's Castles on A and E is a good resource.

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Their name is not Vanderbilt though anymore. GW Vanderbilt only had a daughter and she married a British diplomat named Cecil. Before they gave more than half the land away to the Gvt for the Pisgah National Forest, the home came with 600,000 acres of land. (Most of Western NC)

I was there for Thanksgiving.

14. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Wasn't the largest house build in the US the mansion in Texas that burned down just before completion several months ago?
    It had a full car wash, etc . . .

I know, I know, this doesn't count. Just for the numbers.

The Istana Nurul Iman palace of HM the Sultan of Brunei is the largest residence in the world, with a floor space of 200,000 sq m.

2,152,782 sq. ft

1,788 rooms, and 257 bathrooms.

Here are some facts: Building cost: USD 400 million.
    In this palace you can find:
    564 chandeliers
    18 lifs
    51,000 light bulbs
    44 stairwells
    mosque for 1500 people
    banquet hall for 4000 guests

And also
    5 swimming pools
    air conditioned stables for his 200 polo ponies
    a huge collections of motorcars: 165 Rolls Royces, aeroplanes and helicopters.

The Sultan is the owner of the Dorchester Hotel in London, the Holiday Inn in Singapore, and the Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Not to mention an incredible car collection, this guy and his brother kept RR and AM in business in the Early 90's from their Oil Money.

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    There's a house in Hillsburough that is in the ~60,000ft^2 range I belive. It's really a monster, just rolling and sprawling. I'm not a big fan of it's acrhitecture really. (at least from the hill a few thousand yards away, where one can actually see all of it :) One of the cases of bigger not being better.

I much perfer Mediterranean/Italian design. Seems so at one with the land.

Just remenber guys, it's not really big, untill it has it's own attached airstrip!

Best!
    Ben.

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Keep them coming.....
    Erik

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The list goes on, man. All the Newport mansions are worth a visit. The largest and my favorite is The Breakers. Marble House is really nice too. The Spelling residence in the LA area is 100,000 sq ft. or there abouts. He had problems too - I think the roof was messed up or something. Don't know if the house is even fully built yet. Trump's Palm Beach house Mare Lago is also up there. He has a staff of 75 there. That's basically why you can't have houses like this any more. All of the Newport houses could no longer be in private ownership 1. because of the institution of income tax and 2. because the labor to staff them got more expensive. Now nobody can afford upkeep on these places, so they become open to the public. The Breakers just had a roof restoration that cost 3 million. So, there are many that tip the 100,000 sq ft mark, but few are still lived in.

19. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Kenny Herman- I've met Matt a couple of times this summer (tell him I was the guy talking to him about his CLK55)- as well as a few of his Yale friends. I met Will, his younger brother, through Tommy Sommer, my best friend- who plays hockey with Peltz, and practices/skates at the rink through the summer...

I remember meeting Matt and the first thing coming up with Paris (before the scandal)- we told Will the only way he could beat that was by bringing BOTH Olsen twins :).

I actually asked Tommy to get Matts email through Will for me - I told him that if I was planning an event I'd love for him to come- and I am, so if you could ask him to shoot me an email, that'd be great!

[email protected]

20. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    BTW- I've met Nelson a couple of times but never through Will/Matt- my best family friends are the Weinstiens- Nelson brought Mike over to be the CEO of Snapple and after the sale, switched over the Cadbery- I doubt he'd remember me but he sure as hell knows Mike...

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You've got mail :)

22. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Back at you.

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Nelson Peltz owes everything to Mike Milken...

--Dan

24. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Not the largest, but:

" It encompasses 25 acres, includes a 22-room main house and several outer buildings. There are two swimming pools, a tennis court, a six-car garage, an award-winning camellia garden, an orchard, a pool house, a workshop, a painting studio and two (not small) painting galleries.........
    The grandeur of the world of .......is difficult to comprehend all at once, even when face to face with it. It takes four hours to walk completely around his holdings. Sixteen people can fit inside the fireplace in the pool house. And that's a modest-sized building in the ...... scale of things."

This is one of my customers houses, and this was taken from local newspaper article. There is so much more that is not even listed, and I will contact him to see if he minds more said, or the link posted. But to say this is a small % of what he has on his property, thats an understatement.

Will post tommorow either way.

25. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ