respect for enzo... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

respect for enzo...

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bostonmini, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I just like the cars, beyond that, I couldn't give a ****. One thing that does bother me (and it was pointed out earlier) is this "... you've gotta be good enough to own one..." mentality that seems to have attached itself to ferrari's. In my mind, buying a car -- any car--- should be about as easy as buying a new diswasher -- you want it, you pick it out and pay for it, done. All this "waiting list" bull****, is just that, bull****. It allows for unscrupulous business practices, and speculation by unscrupulous owners lucky enough to be "in the know." Which, consequently, leads to a huge appreciation bubble that pops in everyone's face when that model isn't the newest thang on the block anymore, and then there's the root cause of all the "gee, how much will model x. deperciate v. model y., and should i buy it if if costs more than $2/mile?" that sort of talk, should get people laughed at to a barren point just above desolation nowhere. But, alas, there's people at the dealer, with their ammortization schedules/calanders, actually taking this into account-- that, IMO, is absurd. Oh, and about the exclusivity, well... that's nice, but it also seems (since you've gotta walk on water to own one of the limited production models), that most of them end up gaged, er, garaged, butt propped and on display for fear of,all things, mileage depreciation.
    The car co. that, finally!, gives me a $50k 360 (hello, yes, it's the lotus elise on the line...), or a $75 k 550 it will get my vote. There's not that much "novel" ingenuity/engineering going around here (on all levels), and no reason for the insane dollar figures being passed off.
    Oh, and anyone that thinks a 550/575 looks like a supra -- dude, allan, break off whatever it is that you're smoking ( I hear the islands have the ripe goods-- must be true.)

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I *heart you* Des.

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was down at South Beach two weeks ago and a yellow 550 was parked by a vette. People didn't stop to look at the 550 but the vette got a few looks.

( PS I would love to have a silver 550, but if your not in the ferrari club, people don't know this car is anything special, looks like a supra or camero to people that can't see the badge or haven't studied ferrari )

4. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Like I just said, I love the cars everything else I couldn't give a **** about. (That includes recognition from the general public).

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

I only posted because you said-

"Oh, and anyone that thinks a 550/575 looks like a supra -- dude, allan, break off whatever it is that you're smoking"

So anyone? (but the general public) thinks a 550 looks like a supra?
    That's not what you said when you made fun of Allan for being on drugs :)

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    And you're proving what? Of what significance is it that 99% of the world can't distiguish between a 550, camaro and a vette? Ask anyone you meet tommorrow what an "apex" is, or what "trail braking" or, an easy one, what "heel toe" is? My point? the world is filled with neophytes of all sorts, still doesn't change the fact that a 550/575 looks nothing like, has a stance not even comprable and sounds unlike anything with a camaro badge, much less a supra badge.
    I don't get what you're trying to get across, but your collage up there, only reinstated the differences between the three, not their likeness. Lastly, if you're "looking" for someone to tell you "hey, nice ferrari" then you've got the car for all the wrong reasons.

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

No. I wasn't saying that allan IS on drugs, I was saying that you'd HAVE to be on drugs to form any sort of mental resemblance between the 550/supra/camaro triptych.

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari use to be a no excuse car, it was the best looking exotic and it was the fastest. Now it seems a little less dominant.

I just jumped in because you said it didn't look like a supra. It looks a lot more like the japanes cars now-a-days then it did when it was a Testarossa.

9. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Okay man. The legion of montone wins this. See you guys around.

10. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Give it a rest dude. You dont make a lot of sense. How is Ferrari a little less dominant. Arguably, they are as healthy of a Company and have as good a lineup as they ever have. At $200K a Stradale is plenty fast. They are about to release a replacement to the 360 (a 5 year old car) that will again be dominant. An Enzo is pretty dominant - compared to a koenigsegg, murci, porsche carrera GT, etc. The 575 is the best GT in the world - IMHO.

The 550 is a GT dude - get it. It competes with a Bentley GT, a Vanquish, etc. It does not compete with a Murci. Whether you like it or not - those are the facts. If you think a 550 looks like a Supra, both you and Allan are smoking crack.

DES - great post. Why bother with Allan - Sheesh, why bother. A leopard never changes its spots. Anyone who drives a car with a big sticker on the side - nuff said.

11. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Hi Guys. Emotion seems to overtake a lot of this. Let's face it every marque has its winners and losers from a design perspective AND performance perspective. Ferraris' hits are the TR, F40, and 360. Lamborgini has the early countach, murcie, and gallardo. Porsche has the 930, 928, and carrera gt. Aston the db5 and vanquish. What enzo and ferrari did/do have more than any other comapny i can think of is marketing and brand awareness. This is what creates a customer base willing to wait like dogs at the dinner table to fork over large sums for a product that has no earthly reason to be of a limited nature.
    And it has only a little to do with any racing mystique. I watched ferraris go up in flames before my eyes at F1 races during seasons where they always disappointed yet cars still sold. It is pure marketing brilliance and if you could put your finger on it, you could afford a stable of prancing horses.
    T

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hubert,

Do you really, really want the purchasing of a Ferrari (or any sportscar) to be as unexciting as picking up a new dishwasher?

Where is the accomplishment there?. This is how these cars have become such carrots that we all aspire too, and why we do not dream about buying the latest Toyota Corolla, which is close to as easy to pick up as a dishwasher. It is more than the car, as there are many cars that do the job as well if not better than a Ferrari, it is all about being a snob, and obtaining something that is hard to obtain for the normal person.

Same goes for dating the gorgeous model. This elevates you above the other guys because she (probably :)) is harder to obtain and thus you must be the man to have made it happen :) ...

Pete

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

So Enzo was a marketing guru like Coca Cola or Mc Donalds?

His road cars always sold themselves, works of art to look at and exhilerating to drive, totally differerent from anything on the road at the time and add in the racing hertitage gave the result of wealthy people throwing cash and begging him to sell them his cars.

14. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rodsky - "If you think a 550 looks like a Supra, both you and Allan are smoking crack."

See.... that's what gets me into this, Supra's are rare car also. Take off the Ferrari badges and try it on any public street with average folks.... Ferrari use to be a showstopper.... now it blends in with the Supra. I only made that one point. Don't get so excited. I don't think I have to be smoking crack to make a simple observation. Take a ruler to the blueprints. These two cars have the same profile and dimensions. If you think they look $200k worth of difference, I will have to disagree. They do have a few vents, and curves in different places, also the headlights are different.... but for a Quarter of a million dollars, I'd like a bit more of a street presence from a Ferrari.

I make a beef about this because I don't want Ferrari to keep going in this direction. Maybe you do? The new 612 seems to be even more retro GT and less exotic.

But I won't tell you, that you are on drugs for disagreeing with me, we are just having a discussion.

15. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    No Enzo didn't need to be, people were so passionate about the cars they would do anything to get one, including paying a fortune for it.
    When was the last time you saw a ferrari advertisement? NEVER! Ferrari do not advertise, unlike Porsche or Lamborghini, and they do not need to. Why? because the cars ARE special.
    Does Italy stop to worship Lambo's? No, they're busy hanging their red flags on the their walls.
    However, Enzo the man, was not nice to his customers, and you would not get the kind service like if you bought a Lambo. Although Allan, if Enzo was nice to his customers, and fixed Mr Lamborghini's gearbox for him, you wouldn't be driving a Lambo, they wouldn't exist.

16. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    One more thing, DES rocks!

17. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    It's time.....Ferrari, are you listening. Bring back the 12cyl mid engine kick ass super car. 550s are cool. Would love to own one. BUT, it is time. Why cant we have a 12 mid and a 12 front retro Daytona type car at the same time? GFI! (go for it)

18. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    pete: i'm talking about all the pretense; how illustrious do you want your day at the dealer to be? carmina burana being played for you in the background, while winged vixens loft you into your new chariot, er, ferrari? that's not it... i want people to put away all the haute couture bull**** and talk about cars. end of story. and before you misunderstand me, I should point out that i don't have any angst against ferrari, per se, but around the purporetd mentality that surrounds the "culture" of ownership -- read my previous post if you're not sure. oh, and about the models, i've known a few, and it sure wasn't my good looks that got me next to madame covergirl (sometimes substance should be the edifice upon which mystique should be built, not pretense).

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I actually think he was a motivator of people ... which is close to a marketing guru, as they motivate people to buy their products.

Enzo the man came before the cars, and he motivated the right people to produce the cars and sell the cars and so on ...

Pete
    btw: Most normal people would not spot recognise the type of car. My children used to see a Mazda Miata and think it was a Ferrari, etc. Now they are a bit older they are getting better at it ... but they would still probably not notice a Ferrari Boxer driving the other way.

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #45 allanlambo, Dec 15, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL Des. Do you actually think i care what a low life wanna be loser like you thinks of me? Please go back to your miniscule life of dreams, and keep hoping to go for rides in other peoples cars!

Personally, i would die of embarassment if there was an internet thread devoted to buying me a car. LOL your the poster boy for FCHAT! The FChat charity case. Bruce buying a car for you was very nice of him, personally, id feel better giving a street corner bum some change

Again, in terms of Ferrari, it used to be a great mark. But no longer. You guys couldnt wait to get the Stradale, and now the Stradale is here, already getting smoked by 1/2 price Porsches and less expensive Gallardos. Ferrari's stripped out racer which is mostly unsuitable for street use, getting dusted by a Tractor Manufacturer!

Nice 550!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete

Yes I can see where you are coming from, but I am of 2 minds here. Part of me would like to see the red carpet rolled out and all that bull**** as I turn up with half a million Aussie dollars to take delivery of my brand new Ferrari, the other half would like to just be given the fncken keys are allowed a few moments to get to know my new toy :), and the circuit to be closed while I do a few 'get to know the car laps'.

Pete

22. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    exactly.

23. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    There was a time before schumacher you know. And the ads i use to put on my walls came from architectural digest and other such magazines proclaiming quatrovalvoe. Product placement aka ads comes in the form of the magnum pi TV series, fancy invitation only "unveilings"(612), and concourse events for people with the dough to actually buy these cars, not in road & track for drooling teenagers. BTW tom selleck during the heydey of magnum gave his 3 costars identical exotics one year for xmas presents after signing a large contract with cbs. I drive that model, it wasn't red.
    T

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No there wasn't, er, by this I mean Ferrari has always raced in the premier division of motorsport, so if it was not Schumacher it was Lauda, or Surtes, Fangio, Ascari, etc.

Pete

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yes I've seen the Historic F1 races on Speed Channel. Ferrari couldn't buy a top 5 spot.... good thing they had Magnum PI and Sunny Crockett selling 308's and TR's on network TV.
    (not that the sexy TR or 308 needed the help)