LOCAL drive this weekend, anyone!?!? | FerrariChat

LOCAL drive this weekend, anyone!?!?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by stokpro, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Just checked the forecast for this weekend and it looks promising.... mostly clear Fri, Sat, and Sun with temperatures in the 50's. Not the warmest but I'll take it over the 40 degree weather we drove in this past weekend. Maybe we should just pick out some local backroads (Willis, Will D., Dave Tegeler -- help with routes???) with a lunch stop in between drives. Since it'll be a local drive (likely within 40 mile radius of Seattle) we can start later (noonish?) for those folks who are not morning people. Come on guys, chime in! Not too many more opportunities to exercise your F-car(s) before the rain and *snow* showers starting coming. Ok, who's in?

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I'll let someone else plan the next one. Hang back and enjoy the scenery for once. :)

I think DJ Parks has a few routes drawn up to the north. I hope the rivers aren't flooded still.

There's gotta be a few really good ones in Maple Valley. I've never explored that area much, so it will be a new experience for me.

3. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Willis,

I bet Dave Tegeler knows a bunch of great routes in/near Maple Valley. I'll ping him. How far north is DJ? I have a hunch most of the guys are not willing to drive very far (spending the whole day on a drive). Hey, how'd you get your original post count to resolve?

4. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Hopefully warm enough for the spyder.......I think Dr. Shelbie will be back next week also, and Gary will have his new ride!

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Andrew,

Maple Valley drive would be great.

DJ's in Arlington. He's hosted a nice drive up there before.

I've taken the group all the way through Highway 9 on a Breakfast 'n Drive earlier this year. We met at Ruby's Diner in Redmond (good breakfast and cute waitresses) then headed north.

A big scenic loop could be done with Highway 9 going north then come back south through Chuckanut Drive with the water on the right side. For a long drive like that, we'd have to leave early.

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Cute waitresses? I'm there. If they're blonde, Kuzi's there, too. :)

Sounds like a nice drive, but doubt we'll attract much interest considering it's not summer weather AND we have to leave early. Short and sweet may be our best bet for a decent turnout.

I say we do a short drive, stop for lunch and mingle, then those who need to go can do so and those who crave more asphalt can continue on...

7. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    "If they're blonde, Kuzi's there, too"
    LOL.........Got that right Andrew!! Oh, but you already know my criterias....LOL

Hey I sent you an email.

8. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Chuckanut Drive is closed just before Larabee State Park going north. In other words just as it gets good. We were up there this weekend. There are some neat side roads to get around Chuckanut, but we found some gravel here and there. Fine in the S4, but not so fun in the Fcar.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm in, and heading north sounds kinda good. I may break off for Vancouver, BC later for a "conjugal visit" with the girlfriend after... :)

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi guys,
    A drive sounds enticing but I am going to have to bow out. I am trying to get the site prep done for the shop I am building before the rain and snow comes.

I am still investigating some additional roads to the north and east of highway 9 that we can drive. I live about 45 miles north of seattle and want to be sure it's a good drive for all and worth the trip.

Have fun, DJ

11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Well, DJ is out so maybe we'll just stick to some local backroads. Unless of course Willis wants to be the fierce leader and take us up HWY 9 and back down Chuckanut Drive? I assume many want to drive, but don't want to devote their entire day to driving so I'm leaning towards a shorter, LOCAL drive as maybe more cars will come out. However, with the current response level, it's not looking too good. Haven't heard from Dave T., he might be out of town.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hey, I just checked the Washington State Dept of Transportation website and chuckanut drive is open. So they must have fixed what ever was the problem (probably a land slide).

I think a drive north would be great. We could have lunch at the Semiahmoo resort at Birch Bay. Drive time would be around 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Meet at Northgate mall....drive north on I-5, divert to Chuckanut at Burlington, head back to I-5 at Fairhaven, pull off I-5 at Blaine to Semiahmoo. Easy drive.

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Dave,

That's a great idea. If people really like Chuckanut Dr., we can always drive it again after lunch from Fairhaven to Burlington.

What do you guys think?

14. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Ok, here's the plan gang...

Meet at Northgate Mall at 10:00AM and depart at 10:30AM sharp on Saturday, Nov. 8th. Take I-5 North to Exit 231 (just north of Burlington). Drive approximately 19 miles up Chuckanut Drive. Head back to I-5 at Fairhaven. Continue to I-5 North for about 20 miles and take Exit 270 (Birch Bay Lynden Exit). Off the Exit, turn left onto Birch Bay Lynden Road. Turn right on Harborview Road. Turn left on Lincoln Road (at the 76 gas station) and follow the signs to Semiahmoo Resort. We will stop for lunch and pictures at Semiahmoo Resort and then be back on our way home. Driving time to Semiahmoo Resort is approximately 2 hours, but likely shorter given how some of us drive. Remember to pack your FRS radios (walkie-talkies).

Just trying to get a head count, who's in?

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Boy, You guys are REALLY making it hard for me to stay home!
    NEXT TIME!

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Looks like the Western Canada Region FCA are bring down a contingent to meet us at Semiahmoo....Looks to be a well attended event, hope you can all make it!

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Unfortunately, I'd have to pass on this event. Gotta do some non-Ferrari stuff.

Take lots of pictures!

18. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I'm possibly up for a drive around Maple Valley maybe out to Enumclaw - stop by the Black Diamond bakery for Lunch? Any consensus on whether peole would like to do that? If so I'll have to work on an actual route plan.

19. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Dave T.,

I'd love to do a Maple Valley drive. Your suggestion sounds pretty good. Unfortunately for me, it will have to be another weekend.

Perhaps when Gary's ready to debut his Boxer in a week or so, we could help him break it in on a Maple Valley drive.

20. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Dave T.,

We're going up Chuckanut Drive and Semiahmoo Resort, come along!! Meeting at Northgate Mall (north parking lot) at 10:00am and departing at 10:30am. Drive up will take approx. 2 hours. Hope to see you there.

21. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Looks like the weather isn't cooperating after all. Acording to NWCN 5 day forcast Sunday is the possible sunny day. You guys go ahead and have a nice time. We'll put maple Valley off till it makes more sense.

22. don nightingale

Nov 1, 2003
    Dave,
    Thanks for leading the group on the drive to Semiahmoo on Saturday. You did a great job. I hope that we might get the Seattle and Western Canada groups together again soon for another tour.
    Don

23. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No problem Don, it was great meeting you and Margo. We usually have at least two or three combined events each year with you folks in BC. This was our fourth this year! We usually have a lunch in LaConner, WA each spring, the Father's Day/Italian Car Show in North Vancouver at the Waterfront Park. Then a weekend event in Whistler, and this new one to Semiahmoo for lunch.