Need to extend laptop's battery time | FerrariChat

Need to extend laptop's battery time

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tvrfreak, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I have a Compaq EVO PP2150 laptop with DVD player that I have started to use while traveling. I typically manage about 2 hours of working (Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Dreamweaver even) before I get sick of it and want to relax with DVDs. Problem is, the battery only lasts about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

I use all the power conserving tricks, but it doesn't seem to help. I would like to use my laptop's bigger screen and view my own selection of DVDs at my own convenience. Flights to NY from SF are 5 hours long. London from SF is 10 hours away. Hawaii is about 6 hours. Asia is double that. Any ideas on how to get around 5 or 10 hours of battery life before requiring a recharge? Is there any aftermarket company that makes better batteries I could replace the OEM brick with. Anyone know the name of that "base" you can buy which is supposedly a very long-life battery?

Thanks in advance.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    From my experience I have been able to get close to 4 hours out of my Compaq notebook battery. How I do this is making sure I run on battery as much as possible and never, ever let it be over charged.

Many mates of mine who have the same computer leave theirs plugged into the power all the time and thus have about 10 minutes battery life ... these rechargeable batteries while getting better still get a memory and thus will not hold a proper charge.

Same with mobile phones ...

How do you fix this?

Let the battery completely discharge, and then leave the computer for 1/2 an hour and then try and start, and keep doing this until you cannot start it at all ... then charge.

OR buy a new battery :)

Pete
    ps: ... you could buy a charged spare and carry that as well!

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

Carry 2 to 5 battery packs with you.

Your other option is to search high and low for a portable with the longest battery life. You will have to give up screen size and CPU performance. You will still need an alternate battery.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
  5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny