Heater Hoses | FerrariChat

Heater Hoses

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric lipper, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    I have a heater hose on the drivers side of the car (an 86 328GTS) that disappears over the gas tank to never never land. I have owned the car since new and, believe it or not, have never changed the heater hoses in the 38K that the car has travelled. As far as I can tell it looks like the gas tank has to come out in order to replace the hose but, of course, I have no manual that details the hoses or their routing. In fact, I have looked at nearly every manual available on the car and I don't think I have seen one that shows the hoses and their routing. I think I need to dive in and change every hose since I have had a recent pinhole leak near the block that I rigged by shortening the hose and reconnecting. I know I am gambling with these hoses. Should I do the obvious and remove the tank or does someone have a brilliant shortcut? Also anyone ever seen a source for something like a hose kit? or should I just go to Autozone and try to get close?

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The gas tank does have to come out. The hose makes a 90degree bend in front of the tank.

Search the old FerrariChat.com 'tech Q&A archives' for combinations of 'heater' 'hose' 'coolant' 'GATES' 'green stripe' 'NAPA' and 'orange stripe'. You'll find several pretty detailed accounts of heater hose replacements including the size of hose & approximate length. This is one of the more complete threads:

'85 308 coolant hoses
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/160029.html

GATES green stripe & NAPA orange stripe are considered the best non-silicone hoses.

BTW,
    Since you're pulling the gas tank, also search for 'fuel hose' and 'fuel line'. Again good tips. Typical thread:
    308 Fuel Filler Hose Replacement
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/206949.html

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #3 Peter, Dec 15, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #4 Peter, Dec 15, 2003
    When the hose makes the 90deg bend downwards, forwards of the gas tank and behind a removable panel, its held by a couple of metal bands to the chassis (and look at all the rust behind that panel!).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #5 Peter, Dec 15, 2003
    There'll be another panel you'll need to remove, in order to route the hoses up to the front compartment where the heater cores are. This should be in the front wheel well of your 328.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks for all of your assistance. I was afraid of the obvious. I guess that I better get out the tools and start unbolting. Actually, it looks like an interesting project except for dealing with the gas in the tank.

7. 308SYSTEMS

308SYSTEMS Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    I finished a total redo of all rubber hoses approximately 2 years ago. When you are redoing the heater hoses, be sure to replace the vacuum hose which runs alongside the heater hose. I replaced mine with Gates hoses. The Gates products are slightly larger and the vacuum hose is MUCH stiffer. It is really a pain-in-the-___ to pull these, but worth it.

IMPORTANT - be sure to tie a sturdy string to the old hose prior to pulling it out. I then tied a 1/16th inch steel cable to the string and riveted it to the Gates hose. My friend then pulled the cable while I nursed it through the two bends in the engine compartment. A long job, but worth it.

Feel free to contact me with any questions,
    Mark Lueker

8. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    It is possible to do this without removing the gas tank.
    Not much space though and you will not be able to refit the hoses in the metal tabs along the route - however, I have had no problems with this. I think the tabs are primarily there to keep the hoses in place during production.
    Cut a foot of the old hose as it can be rather brittle at the end. Connect the old and the new hose with a 10 cm (4") piece of copper plumbing pipe - drill small holes through rubber and pipe - secure with thin wire through holes and cover with tape to obtain a smooth surface.
    Then get somebody to feed hose from rear while pulling from inside front wheel well.