How to get my 348 Seats Softer After just being redyed? | FerrariChat

How to get my 348 Seats Softer After just being redyed?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I just got my 348 and before I purchased the PO had the seats redyed. They are pretty hard now. I have tried Lexol conditioner and it helped but not too much. I now got some Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil and I have heard that this will get it fairly soft again. Now my question is what is the best way to use it? I have heard about putting plastic bags over it but are there other ways. Can I do a little at a time? Thanks.

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    use the oil and leave it on there in a warm enviroment for a week or so, need to do this a couple of times

3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    test a section first to make sure the dye does not come out

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Good idea!!!! Thanks. The dye job was ok but they got very stiff from it. Even the sticking is harder than it should be.

5. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tifosi has a good idea. My 348 seats were a bit hard when I received it, just because most people do not know how to care for leather. I used Ivory soap and water to get them clean (you can skip this step). I used the Rejuvenating Oil during the summer applying it on a warm day. I let it sit for 48 hours, applied another application let sit. About a month later did it again. The leather became pretty pliable. As an on-going process I use the leather conditioner form Girot's Garage. I think it's about $7.00 for 8oz? The leather is now in pretty good condition and feels nice to the touch.
    Good luck,
    Jim Hilton

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Check out the thread here :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2842&page=2

The last guy to reply LRPMAN owns Leatherique - Might want to shoot him and email and ask him.

During my re-dye, I put the oil on and then covered with plastic wrap for 1-2 days - Then cleaned with pristine clean. Seats are now very soft, but they were not rock hard before.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Looks Great Slag!!!! Quite the project. Thanks for the link. I really just want them to soften up some. They don't have to be extremely soft, anything is better than what they are now.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You'll want to know if the previous re-dye was with the Conolly spray dye or with a water-based dye. If it's stiff, it was probably a spray day, usually lacquer based. See the info at
    www.fca-se.org/conc_leather.htm

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Great write up Mike. I am going to try the rej. oil and seeif it helps out. I appreciate the info.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yep, it is a great write up - That article was my "bible" during my restoration - Thanks again Mike! :)

Somewhere in my restoration thread, I posted your article at :

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/leatherdye.html

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Becareful with long soakings of Leatherique, some of the dyes either due to age, (real fresh or very old) will come of with the oil. I would test an area, and only leave it on for a day, then clean off. If the seats need another application, wait a week or two, then do it again, for one whole day. Just my thoughts, but maybe better to ask the owner himself of Leatherique.

I know when ever I use Leatherique, I see some dye coming off with the Prestine Clean....but I still treat my seats at least once or twice a year.

12. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Happy Holiday!
    Very smart group, all the same answers I would have given. Here is a little insight for you. The HARD surface is 99% OLD DYE. The Lacquer based dye was not the best way to go in old days, now most are water based. We Started the water base thing in 1963 and guess we had answer way back when. I ALWAYS get some dye transfer when I clean our cars. It is like the old days of COMPOUNDING the finish, whatever was DEAD came off on the rag. We are working on some new things for 2004 to help with the preservation of our cars. Our TR was in great shape but STIFF to the touch. I have used a full quart and let the car sit for a week between applications. Got LOTS of dead dye off the drivers seat, very little from anyplace else.
    If I can be of ant help just call: 877-395-3366 toll free.
    Take Care
    George P.

13. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I am very impressed. I tried Meguiars and Lexol and got very limited results. I tried one coat of Leatherique and already I see a huge difference. This leather was pretty stiff too. It had just been redyed and wasn't soft. After my second application is got even softer. It could still use to be a little softer but I am very pleased. Thanks Again for all of the tips and tricks everyone.

14. plahaye

plahaye Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    S La. swamp
    Full Name:
    Phil LaHaye
    I have had good luck with Gliptone cleaner followed by their conditioner. It also smells great, like liquid leather. World Upholstery has an article on their website about using the Gliptone product. They sell it but you can also order it online at the Gliptone site. The advice about letting it soak in in warm weather with the windows closed is the way to do it. The leather will very gradually get softer with time.
    Good luck!
    Phil

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    In the 60ies some hired ski instructors to break in their leather ski boots.
    I would hire Des to drive your car until the seats soften up.