Need new hard drive for Dell Laptop | FerrariChat

Need new hard drive for Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kdross, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop with a 30 Gig hard drive. Unfortunately, my hard drive is totally full and I need a bigger drive. Dell sells a 80 Gig drive for my computer, but the cost is $500.00. This price seems very high. Can I purchase a new hard drive for my Dell from another source at a cheaper price? I do not want a sub-standard drive. Speed and quality are important.

Thanks.
    Ken

2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

If you don't travel alot you should consider an external hard drive. I have a USB2 160gig hard drive that travels with me- it's signifcantly cheaper- just store your programs on the 30gig and files on the external..

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    agreed with Kenny.

you have a firewire port on there and you can buy a 120 to 250GB external firewire/usb2.0 drive to hook up on occassion, which isn't needed all the time. Fast and efficient, much faster than a notebook hard drive if you go with a 7200 rpm, or heck, even a slow ass 5400 desktop hdd will be faster than a notebook hdd.

but keep in mind, if you get the 80GB drive, you'll have to set it up from s c r a t c h! and that isn't going to be fun.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i use TCWO.COM and IBUYPOWER.COM for the computers i have built and modified. i may be very wrong on this but i think that Dell's parts are" proprietary" as in you cant swap or work on them as all the parts are unique to dell in a way that only they can work on it. i may be wrong on that , but i know for a fact all of my PC builder friends avoid anything Dell. its like none of the parts will work or exchange in anything else. perhaps the external drive is the only way to go. i hope one of those web sites will help. i use them but i am not affiliated with them in any way.