Arg, paint scratches | FerrariChat

Arg, paint scratches

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    So, I was driving this evening and I heard what sounded like a rock hitting my car. Sure enough, later, when I parked and checked, there was a spot that looked like a .3" x .3" glob of white paint on the rear quarter of my black G500. I touched the area and it is definately a very deep gash in the paint. I am assuming these types of imperfections cannot be removed by mere detailing. Anyone know if this is an easy fix or not?

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    It sounds like you have chipped the paint down to the primer. the cheapest way of fixing would be to use some touch up paint. Unfortunately, it is very hard to get the paint to match with regards to depth and color. Worst case is getting a paint guy to look at it. The new water based clear coats are notorious for this awful soft paint. Sorry to hear about the chip.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Not only that, its German and softer still for enhanced gloss, right from the mouths of the factory management. Fill in the chip or respray :( Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have 2 1 adn 1.5 inch gashes thanks to a freeway incident of a piece of metal that let loose and I couldn't see nor avoid.

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Driving in winter sucks. I keep hearing all these rocks and debris fly into my car when I am driving. I'll probably just touch it up - you can't really see the scratch anyway as my car is grey (used to be black - damn dirt - i should probably wash it).